Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SA DCB tired after school
284878 07:36 PM 09-25-2015
I have a 1st grader DCB that is tried after school. He is almost 6. In the interview with DCM in May, she told me that he would nap after school. DCB started in June, and he always napped, as long as or longer than the younger kids. He is always full of energy and acting out but whines that he is tried and wants to sleep (even before lunch, he would ask for a nap)

Nap time is done before he gets off the bus here. He eats snack and then we head outside. He spends the next hour in and out of time out on most days. When in time out, he sucks his thumb, does his time out and whines for his blanket, which is in dcm car. (he gets mad when DCD picks up because DCM has the blanket)

(He gets time out when he does things like --- hits, throws toys, leaves the play area boundaries (leaves my view)

On the first day of school, he said proudly "I don't have to take a nap" (I took that as DCM told him that he is not taking a nap here anymore)

Yesterday, when he was in time out, he swore at me. Today he got mad at me when I told him that standing on the toy was not safe. (His words "I was having fun, you never let me have fun") umm trying to keep you safe. He became very angry with me in matter of seconds. (My DH was helping me today and yesterday, he also see how disrespectful DCB is. He does not listen to my DH at all.)

DCM mentioned that she thinks he is tried after school. I agreed but it is not nap time when he arrives, it is outside time. I can not have one inside while I am outside with the others.

Suggestions? (other than terming, I have his siblings so it would be most my income to term with out a replacement)

Could his tiredness be due to an illness?
daycare 08:04 PM 09-25-2015
what time do you guys nap and what time does he get home? I have one in kinder and she naps when she gets back to my house. they go full day kinder and she is just fried when she gets to my house. i don't deal with tantrums or whining very well, so I have he lay down and she always passes out for the last 30 min of nap time.

we nap for 1-3. she sometimes will nap until 330. I don't think her parents are putting her to bed at a reasonable hour so this is why she is struggling.

what time are they putting the kid down for bed and what time does he wake up? maybe they need to start putting him to bed earlier.
Thriftylady 08:08 PM 09-25-2015
Could you take a blanket outside and when he starts acting out he can lay down instead of time out? Tell him before you go outside if you start acting up you are going to lay down. If he is tired you will know, he will zonk out when he lays down.
daycare 08:14 PM 09-25-2015
is it normal that a child in first grade still sucks thumb and has a blanket? I don't do school age kids and none of my kids had this type of behavior at this age.
284878 09:44 PM 09-25-2015
Nap is 1-330 and dcb gets off the bus at 4. State regs prevent me from napping him on a blanket. I would have to haul out a cot with sheet outside to give him a nap. If I nap him inside, no one could go out and the playroom would be off limits.
As for his bedtime, I don't know, dcm comment once that baby was up at 5 am. Not sure if it was everyone or just baby and her. They do a lot of screen time at home, dcb has his own tablet.

Personally I have never dealt with a thumb sucker before. (my dd will suck her thumb to copy him, I am trying to stop her) I have seen blanket attachments go into school age. My one nephew gets attached to his, so much so that he behaves badly when it is near, (I wont let him bring it to my house), he can survive with out it.

Were dcb struggles with out his blanket. (time to go cold turkey dcm)
Unregistered 09:55 PM 09-25-2015
I have one also just started kindergarten full day and him and his mom love to sleep all day when they can been that way since he was young.he come after school eats a snack and will lay on the couch and in 5 minutes he is a sleep and stays a sleep until morning(shocking right) mom picks up at midnight he stays a sleep when put in the car and he lives a street away when home still stay asleep. He gets up like 6 mom has to work by 730 so goes to safe key by 7.I know thats why from getting up early. And blanket and sucking thumb way to old for that I would not allow the blanket or his finger in his mouth.
Unregistered 09:59 PM 09-25-2015
Maby sit on a chair and read a book and rest maby nap after outside time well if u have a place seperate from were they play
childcaremom 03:40 AM 09-26-2015
Sorry, dcm. Dcb is obviously in need of a nap after school and I am unable to accommodate that into our schedule. Last day for care will be....

ETA: My children were tired after school at that age so I don't think it's out of the realm of normal. They didn't nap but needed downtime.

Tiredness I could possibly deal with. Outright defiance and disrespect, no. Swearing, not happening.
racemom 05:51 AM 09-26-2015
Could you change the younger ones schedule a little but so you could be inside after dcb gets off bus. Maybe have them nap from 12:30-3 and then do outside time until dcb gets off bus. Come in and let him lay down? But I would not make playroom off limits. Put his cot in a corner and he can lay down while everyone else plays.
Controlled Chaos 06:30 AM 09-26-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
Could you change the younger ones schedule a little but so you could be inside after dcb gets off bus. Maybe have them nap from 12:30-3 and then do outside time until dcb gets off bus. Come in and let him lay down? But I would not make playroom off limits. Put his cot in a corner and he can lay down while everyone else plays.

Josiegirl 01:52 PM 09-26-2015
That's what I would try too. What time does he get picked up? Any way he can go to an afterschool program or have dcm pick up earlier?
littletots 08:01 PM 09-26-2015
I have a dcf with two dck. I've had them a while. Our schools the preschool and kinder are 2.5hrs. Both dck napped w/me last school year. This yr the 1st grade comes off the bus in a mood, thirsty, hungry, looks tired. Child and parents don't want him to nap. Child feels 1st graders don't nap. Dcp feel he won't go to bed on time if he naps. So I have a rule. No one talks to SA dcb until he comes in, removes shoes, goes to bathroom, has a drink/snack, does his HW. Basically, give dcb time to de-stress, relax. I don't want to lose dcf. The 2 boys are great friends w/my son, they pay GREAT & I totally understand the SA is tired. Now... if his behavior was as you mentioned I would try to figure out other ways to help him de-stress. A relaxing outdoor chair under a shade tree, blanket area with large pillows, water table is relaxing, too.
284878 08:57 AM 09-27-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Maby sit on a chair and read a book and rest maby nap after outside time well if u have a place seperate from were they play
Outside time goes up to going home. but thanks for the suggestion
284878 09:54 AM 09-27-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
And blanket and sucking thumb way to old for that I would not allow the blanket or his finger in his mouth.
I agree - Mom allows it. DCG / his sister does it also, I think if he stops she will too.

I did adjust my schedule when school started to make sure DCG was awake when it was time to meet the bus. I still have to wake DCG, when DH is not home and it is time for the bus. On the days that I wake her, she is grumpy.
Here is my basic schedule, any suggetions
830 arrival - DCG colors, DD gets dressed, DCB1.5 and DCB1 play, While I get breakfast on the table. Sit down around 850. 915 they go play and I get DCB1 ready for nap. He is down around 945. Then it is play/story/circle time. At 1030 I get DD and DCG a preschool activity and DCB1.5 a toddler friendly one, while I prepare Lunch. Lunch is at 11. They eat and DCB1 will wake between 11-12. After lunch we clean the play room and set out the PNP and cot for nap, brush teeth and play in living room, while I feed (he feeds himself) DCB1. 12.30 DCB1.5 goes down then DD and DCG go potty. After DCB1.5 falls asleep or 1 (which ever comes 1st), I send the girls to bed. DCB1 plays for 20-30 minutes until he is tried. Then he goes back down. DCB1.5 wakes, about 2.30 and DD comes out of her room. I have snack ready at 3 who ever is awake eats. (most days DCG is still out.) DH gets home 3.45 if on time. If he is late, I get everyone ready to go, waking DCG. If he is home he stays inside with the kids, getting ready to go out. I send the kids out with DH so that DCB-SA eats snack alone and has some one on one time with me and have it calm. (couple of times he has misbehaved walking up the driveway with me and has to do sometime out once we get inside) After outside time they come in at 530 and do a craft or color, til their parent arrives, just before 6. I change the diapers and get there belongs together.
I can try a corner cot, currently I avoid letting him in the playroom because he will dump baskets then throw them, busting the basket. (he has purposely damaged toys - when I am not looking and hides them) I "take the fun out of everything because, I wont let him be destructive."

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That's what I would try too. What time does he get picked up? Any way he can go to an afterschool program or have dcm pick up earlier?
DCM picks up just before 6. I think DCD could come earlier, he either does not want to or his clock out time varies to much to do so. (He does come on Wednesday but will come anywhere between, 4-530, with a text) I have suggested that in the pass, but DCM also says in passing that she has to work an extra shift to pay for a ......

Originally Posted by littletots:
I have a dcf with two dck. I've had them a while. Our schools the preschool and kinder are 2.5hrs. Both dck napped w/me last school year. This yr the 1st grade comes off the bus in a mood, thirsty, hungry, looks tired. Child and parents don't want him to nap. Child feels 1st graders don't nap. Dcp feel he won't go to bed on time if he naps. So I have a rule. No one talks to SA dcb until he comes in, removes shoes, goes to bathroom, has a drink/snack, does his HW. Basically, give dcb time to de-stress, relax. I don't want to lose dcf. The 2 boys are great friends w/my son, they pay GREAT & I totally understand the SA is tired. Now... if his behavior was as you mentioned I would try to figure out other ways to help him de-stress. A relaxing outdoor chair under a shade tree, blanket area with large pillows, water table is relaxing, too.
Thanks for the suggestions.

These is a family of 3, which is 3/4 of my of my income. So I am not ready to term yet.
Reply Up