Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Pets for Classroom
DaveA 01:23 PM 02-26-2018
Our classroom mice (from the same litter)died in the last 2 weeks. So this morning we went and picked our new classroom pets. Mice again. Was only going to get two. The white one ran up my arm while I was helping get the spotted one, so I had to keep it.
AB844C92-BD45-4D9B-A2D8-4B1D08AFBFF4.jpeg
Attached:
TooManyKitties 01:36 PM 02-26-2018
They’re so cute! I’m sure the kids will love them.
Josiegirl 03:12 PM 02-26-2018
So what's the best trap you recommend for them?

They are kind of cute. In a cage. At someone else's place.
happymom 03:40 PM 02-26-2018
awe, I used to have mice when I was a little girl! they are so cute!
TooManyKitties 05:18 PM 02-26-2018
When I was a kid we had rats. Sounds gross but they’re calmer than mice (they never bit), and if you get them young their tails are still small and not ugly. They make great, low-maintenance pets, and we had a series of them over the years. The good/bad thing is they only live about 2-3 years, which worked well for my parents. I’d want my kids to have pets that lived a little longer.
Mike 05:25 PM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
So what's the best trap you recommend for them?

They are kind of cute. In a cage. At someone else's place.
I wholly agree.
TooManyKitties 05:39 PM 02-26-2018
You guys! Where’s the love?!? At least they’re domestic!
Josiegirl 02:41 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by TooManyKitties:
You guys! Where’s the love?!? At least they’re domestic!
I was just kidding. They are cute. I used to love hamsters and everybody says they're just mice with no tails. I feel terrible when I catch mice in traps. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I remember when I was a youngster and found a mouse trapped that hadn't died, just been a little immobilized. I put it in a cardboard box and made it a nice cozy home. Sure was funny seeing my mom's face when I asked her where the mouse had gone because he wasn't in my box anymore.
I feed the birds right out my front window so we get lots of bird watching in during the winter. Before our last snow dump, we hardly had any snow left. We had 2 mice that we spent hours watching skitter back and forth from the feeders to under my small flower bed out front.
I love animals, love watching them. My niece has a snake, even s/he had me mesmerized. I've had hamsters, birds, turtles, rabbits, cats, ducks, dogs, a monkey. (my parents were very forgiving and patient) Animals have a place just like we do. And those 3 cute little mice will have a nice place in Dave's house.
DaveA 03:36 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by TooManyKitties:
When I was a kid we had rats. Sounds gross but they’re calmer than mice (they never bit), and if you get them young their tails are still small and not ugly. They make great, low-maintenance pets, and we had a series of them over the years. The good/bad thing is they only live about 2-3 years, which worked well for my parents. I’d want my kids to have pets that lived a little longer.
The first time I let DCKs pick out the classroom pet they picked out a rat. DW was less than amused. They are great pets- we ended up with 3. The DCKs and I built a big multilevel cage about 3'x3'x2' and they loved it. Even had a leash/ harness for the oldest one to walk around outside with us. We kept them till I had to relicense with a different rep (my normal one was on a temp assignment) and she wouldn't do it with them in the house. Still hacked about that.

I think fish and frogs are boring, can't have a reptile around kids, and I won't keep a bird inside. So basically I take the kids to the "small & furry" section and let them pick. They probably choose mice (they've chose a hamster once) is because the mice are the most active and attract the most attention.
Indoorvoice 12:33 PM 02-27-2018
I had 2 pet rats in college. They were very affectionate towards me for for a while. As they got older, they developed a crazy bond for each other and didn't like me as much anymore. They also got super smart. They learned how to unlatch their cage at night and I found out that they were running all around my house and getting into my snacks and then returning to their cage and relatching it in the morning! I had to get rid of them after that because I didn't want to be part of a rat uprising
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I feel terrible when I catch mice in traps.
My DH has spent the last several weeks baiting and setting a live trap to catch a squirrel that has been rather pesky lately.

Yesterday he finally trapped it.

He said he had planned on doing away with it but for some reason he said it looked so scared in the cage that he decided to let it go instead.

He said he hopped on the snowmobile, grabbed the cage and drove all the way down to the end of the drive way (almost a mile long) to let it go...

Apologizing to the squirrel the entire way!!
CalCare 12:51 PM 02-27-2018
@ indoorvoice, reminds me of the movie, Willard. I loved that movie! Haha crazy movie. I had rats as a young adult and I grew to like them. I agree mine were very smart.
Josiegirl 02:40 PM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DH has spent the last several weeks baiting and setting a live trap to catch a squirrel that has been rather pesky lately.

Yesterday he finally trapped it.

He said he had planned on doing away with it but for some reason he said it looked so scared in the cage that he decided to let it go instead.

He said he hopped on the snowmobile, grabbed the cage and drove all the way down to the end of the drive way (almost a mile long) to let it go...

Apologizing to the squirrel the entire way!!
Awwww, I had a family of red squirrels in my playroom walls for awhile until I borrowed a live trap from my sister, thinking I'd only catch 1-2 of them. Turns out I had to relocate 7 of those little critters!! I took them a good 8-10 miles away; didn't want any chance of them figuring out how to get back.

My elderly neighbor will catch groundhogs in a leg trap, then hit them over the head with a hammer. He also killed a skunk once by hitting it with a baseball bat. But the skunk got revenge in his death because it happened right under an open bedroom window.
Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up