Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Questions?
LeslieG 11:47 AM 03-06-2014
What are questions that you always make sure to ask a family during the interview process? I can usually tell within the first 5 minutes whether or not I want to take the family.. but I'm just curious what types of questions you ask new families.

I have a family coming tomorrow for an interview and I just don't have the best feeling about it based on my conversation with the mom over the phone. They weren't huge reg flags, but I just have a bad feeling. Though, I also don't want to be judgmental.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
What are questions that you always make sure to ask a family during the interview process? I can usually tell within the first 5 minutes whether or not I want to take the family.. but I'm just curious what types of questions you ask new families.

I have a family coming tomorrow for an interview and I just don't have the best feeling about it based on my conversation with the mom over the phone. They weren't huge reg flags, but I just have a bad feeling. Though, I also don't want to be judgmental.
The bolded part is true for me too!

The BIGGEST conversation I have with parents is what their goals and expectations are.

I also ask them about their family life, do they have lots of family in the area?
Do they eat dinner as a family at home at the table or in the car running from one event to another?
Do they have a discipline plan for their child? Bed time routine?

What types of traditions and celebrations do they have?

How do they feel about eating and nutrition?

Basically I just try really hard to get a picture of what their family life is like. If they are a chaotic family with no routine or family values, it WILL be hard to work with them.

If they are a family that values routine and consistency, I can make it work...kwim?

All of hat type of questioning is where I feel I learn the MOST about what type of client a family is going to be.

THAT conversation usually is my deciding factor on whether or not I will accept them into care or not.

HTH
Tags:interview - checklist, interview questions, the art of the interview
Reply Up