Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>a numbers question
cara041083 12:37 PM 07-31-2014
I have 2 of my own kids that are in school. My husband got a new job, and he will get home from work at 330, and my kids get home at 4 and my daycare closes at 5:30. On the days they don't have school, they will be going to the local rec center for the day camp so they don't have to deal with alot of little kids all day. If my husband is home when they get home from school, do I still need to count them in my ratio? I am trying to figure out what works best before school starts in terms of spots and money. Thanks
craftymissbeth 12:52 PM 07-31-2014
Yes, they're still counted in your ratios. I asked my surveyor this same question. She said if they're in the home they count. Maybe he could take them out somewhere for an hour and a half until you close?
cara041083 01:08 PM 07-31-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Yes, they're still counted in your ratios. I asked my surveyor this same question. She said if they're in the home they count. Maybe he could take them out somewhere for an hour and a half until you close?
Thats what Im trying to figure out. My parents live on the next street over and said they could get them off the bus for me. I just feel funny doing that since me and my husband would both be here KWIM? but if its a matter of loosing the income of 2 kids, then that's what I need to do.
craftymissbeth 01:24 PM 07-31-2014
I guess you could always call up your surveyor and find our for sure.. since they won't be in your direct supervision maybe yours would consider them non-daycare kids. Mine is super strict and kind of interprets things how she'd like them to be. I should have added that to my original reply
CraftyMom 02:20 PM 07-31-2014
It must depend on your state, like everything else.

Here, my school age kids DO NOT count during the school year at all. This includes before/after school, school vacas and sick days, etc. In the summer they count however, which I don't completely understand
TwinKristi 02:30 PM 07-31-2014
What states don't count your own children when your spouse is home? I just remember someone posting about it recently...
Angelsj 02:44 PM 07-31-2014
I guess you could always call up your surveyor and find our for sure.. since they won't be in your direct supervision maybe yours would consider them non-daycare kids. Mine is super strict and kind of interprets things how she'd like them to be. I should have added that to my original reply
Does your state allow a variance? Maybe you could get one to be over by only your kids only if hubby is home to watch them?
craftymissbeth 02:50 PM 07-31-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Does your state allow a variance? Maybe you could get one to be over by only your kids only if hubby is home to watch them?
Good question.. I've never seen it in the regulations that it's an exemption, but who knows. Our exemption request form requires you to site the specific regulation, though.

http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/applicat..._Exception.pdf

Here are our regs in case anyone has free time on their hands

http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/regs/lic...l_sections.pdf
Angelsj 05:56 PM 07-31-2014
Good question.. I've never seen it in the regulations that it's an exemption, but who knows. Our exemption request form requires you to site the specific regulation, though.

http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/applicat..._Exception.pdf

Here are our regs in case anyone has free time on their hands

http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/regs/lic...l_sections.pdf
That stinks. Ours just require us to be "reasonable" and state how we will still keep all the kids safe if we are allowed the variance. I am allowed up to 14 (normal is 10) IF and only if, 1. The extra kids are all school agers and my younger set is in ratio. 2. It is "occasional" Not sure what that means at any rate, but I have only been over 10 twice in three years, so I am going with that is occasional.
It stinks that hubby doesn't count as a second adult in the home. Especially for his own kids.
SignMeUp 06:15 PM 07-31-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
That stinks. Ours just require us to be "reasonable" and state how we will still keep all the kids safe if we are allowed the variance. I am allowed up to 14 (normal is 10) IF and only if, 1. The extra kids are all school agers and my younger set is in ratio. 2. It is "occasional" Not sure what that means at any rate, but I have only been over 10 twice in three years, so I am going with that is occasional.
It stinks that hubby doesn't count as a second adult in the home. Especially for his own kids.
Not in my MN I would never be allowed to be four over, of any age. And in fact, for the last ten years or so we have not been allowed to request a variance for any reason. I always wondered what would happen if I went straight to the state with a variance request
I just noticed the other day that my county has now added a variance request form to their website. Who knows what that means Probably "try it at your own risk"
craftymissbeth 06:57 PM 07-31-2014
Oh wait, would the extra school age exemption work for this situation? I can't remember
Angelsj 03:52 AM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Not in my MN I would never be allowed to be four over, of any age. And in fact, for the last ten years or so we have not been allowed to request a variance for any reason. I always wondered what would happen if I went straight to the state with a variance request
I just noticed the other day that my county has now added a variance request form to their website. Who knows what that means Probably "try it at your own risk"
I never realized how much was county (or licensor) controlled. Or maybe "interpreted." It is a little ridiculous how much leeway they seem to have.
DaveA 04:18 AM 08-01-2014
In my case my 2 children don't count against my ratio but my licensed capacity was lowered from 8 to 6.
melilley 05:16 AM 08-01-2014
Here, if our own kids are over 7, they don't count in our ratio. If they are under 7, they count, but if a spouse is home or another family member is here, they don't count. Also, we don't have to count any related children over the age of 7!
cara041083 07:13 AM 08-01-2014
Oh wait, would the extra school age exemption work for this situation? I can't remember
No it wouldnt. The family of 4 would fill my last 2 spots and then be my extra 2. And right now my kids are the extra 2 . I think I'm just gonna have them be at my parents and leave it at that. Easier from all levels. Thanks guys
Reply Up