Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Notify Current Families When Terminating?
hgonzalez 01:45 PM 10-09-2016
I am possibly going to be terminating a family that has only been with me a few months. I will be doing it as soon as I can enroll another family.
Their youngest child of this family is so horribly behaved, it is completely draining me and is causing issues with the other kids. Some of it is age appropriate, but he spends half the day screaming and the other half being aggressive with the other kids, interrupting their play, throwing toys at them etc. He also physically fights me on every diaper change, screams during every meal, screams every time I sit down etc.
My question is this: I feel like I need to tell my other families, as I don't want them to think people are just leaving my daycare left and right. I have termed three newish families in the past year due to behavior and disrespect by the parents. Do you tell your existing families when you have a change in enrollment and do you tell them why? I know they will see the new faces and wonder what happened to the other kids. Advice please.
catinthebox 02:50 PM 10-09-2016
I personally think you dont have too. Working at a daycare we know that kids come and go and alot of parents know that as well. Dont stress yourself and over think.I dont know how many kids are in your care, but in my daycare center we have around 70 kids and i had never had to tell people why we had to kicked some of the kids out of our program
childcaremom 03:11 PM 10-09-2016
I don't.

I went through a similar period with a few families leaving and no one even commented on it. I don't even know if they noticed. I have only ever had one family ever mention something about a family that had left and I just told them that the particular family was no longer with me anymore. Left it at that.

I don't think that you owe them an explanation. I think if they know the other family and child, and have seen them in action, then they can probably guess why they are no longer with you.
JackandJill 03:34 PM 10-09-2016
I wouldn't, I think it crosses a confidentiality line. When parents ask, I always just stay as vague as possible ("not a good fit", "didn't work out", "time to move on", etc.)

On top of which, you never know who knows who. I would hate for a former family to hear I was talking about them.
Mike 04:32 PM 10-09-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
I wouldn't, I think it crosses a confidentiality line. When parents ask, I always just stay as vague as possible ("not a good fit", "didn't work out", "time to move on", etc.)

On top of which, you never know who knows who. I would hate for a former family to hear I was talking about them.

nanglgrl 07:13 AM 10-10-2016
My clients always ask "where is so and so" and I fit my reply to the reason I termed. They thought they were getting nanny care? "Unfortunately x is no longer attending. The needs of the group outweigh the needs of one family". I try to make it as vague as possible and most of the time they don't ask any other questions. If someone leaves on good terms I ask if I can share that they're leaving "x is moving a few hours away" because I do have a lot of clients get promotions or new jobs requiring that they move and I don't want people thinking I have clients jumping ship left and right. It was hard recently because I had 2 clients move and termed 2 new clients. The ones that were moving let me share that fact or shared it themselves. One client was termed due to the infant being held at home and crying all day here. Parents knew the child cried a lot because they witnessed it so I primed them for the term saying "this is why I have a two week trial period". It's rare I term and has happened more the last year than in the previous 15. I wouldn't worry about it so much if I didn't have such a mobile clientele. The average client is only here a couple of years but 99% are leaving because of a move or child starting school. I feel like if I didn't say anything other parents would see everyone leaving and start to think they were missing something about the care I provide and it could hurt my business.
AmyKidsCo 11:02 AM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:

I agree. I don't say who initiated it when a family leaves, and only say "not a good fit" unless the child is leaving for school.
Ariana 11:28 AM 10-11-2016
I do! I always say something vague like "just to let you know johnny is no longer with us. I am not able to give details for confidentiality reasons but I decided to terminate care".

I have never had a parent question it or anything, I also like to inform parents because it keeps them on their toes a bit when they know I will kick anyone out if I feel I need to. I would never want a parent thinking a family left because they weren't happy.
renodeb 10:58 AM 10-11-2016
Very good point about never knowing how knows who. I have had to term about 7 kids in the last 11 years and I never said anything to the others, I don't find it necessary. Honestly I try to down play it. The only time it ever got weird is when it involved another dc family.
I to fell it crosses a line. I guess if they really wanted to know you could set up a private meeting a discuss it.
Deb
Reply Up