Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>She Didn't Even Take Him To The Doctor!!!
sahm2three 05:43 PM 01-26-2012
I finally heard from the mom of the baby who stopped breathing at my daycare yesterday. She decided she would "just wait and see how he did today and maybe take him tomorrow but he is doing great now" so I assume that to mean that she doesn't plan on taking her child to the doctor. HER SON STRUGGLED TO BREATH!!! HE WAS TURNING BLUE!!!! He looked at me with such a fright in his eyes. It breaks my heart and haunts me still, I was doing everything I could for him. I see it all in slow motion. So why am I more upset and alarmed than she is?! I am heartbroken for the little guy. I want to smack some sense into her. I don't even know what to say, other than you are released of your contract.
SilverSabre25 05:48 PM 01-26-2012
((HUGS)) I'm sorry that mom is being so irresponsible! I'm not at all the type to just run to the doctor for every little sniffle and cough, but that definitely warrants a doctor's trip even to me!
Daycaremomof2 05:51 PM 01-26-2012
Uhhh, kids don't stop breating and turn blue for no reason. Could that be considered neglect/child endangerment?

I guess the lesson learned would be to call 911 immediately and let them deal with the parents. I feel sad for that poor child.
Ariana 05:57 PM 01-26-2012
This is definately a lesson learned. Call 911 because you really can't count on parents to do the right thing

She's a loser....
Heidi 06:04 PM 01-26-2012
Put it behind you , Sahm. You are a loving, caring person, and I know it's hard, but it's a situation you cannot control.
laundrymom 06:05 PM 01-26-2012
Oh my. I'm in utter shock.
Sunshine44 06:11 PM 01-26-2012
Why don't you refuse to take him back into care until she has a doctors note? Sounds like too much liability for you! What if its somethign serious and he does it again?? or worse??
Kaddidle Care 06:12 PM 01-26-2012
I would seriously consider reporting her to CPS. Write it all down - think on it for a day and then do what you need to do.

Do NOT accept that child back into your care without a Dr.'s Note.
cheerfuldom 06:16 PM 01-26-2012
I would refuse he come back until he was taken to the doctor.
momma2girls 06:58 PM 01-26-2012
I am with others on here. I am a nurse and there could be something very seriously wrong with the child. It would be way too much responsibility on my part, if this was to ever happen again!!!
Countrygal 07:11 PM 01-26-2012
I agree, I wouldn't take him back without a doctor's OK.

What can that mother possibly be thinking???
meganlavonnesmommy 07:48 PM 01-26-2012
Sounds like the mom doesnt believe you, or thinks you are being over dramatic. She probably thinks you just didnt want him for the day.
So sad that she would put her own petty thoughts over the care of her child.

Definately dont accept him back without a drs note. Its a huge liability for you. Document everything, and if she doenst like what you require, then too bad, she can find care somewhere else.

If she treats you like this for caring about her childs well being, how will she treat you in other situations. Its disrespectful to you and your program.
Crystal 07:51 PM 01-26-2012
Oh, my. I am sorry you are going through this. But, you can and will get through it.

I would be calling CPS tomorrow morning.
Solandia 08:00 PM 01-26-2012
Jeez, louise. ITA with the others, I wouldn't be caring for him without a doctors clearance with a normal family....but, I wouldn't even bother offering that up to this one. I would just say that I can no longer care for the child. The trust is completely shattered.

I would not trust that mom to actually go to the doctor and get a note about this specific issue, rather go get a note w/o telling the doc what happened. no bueno. And to be completely honest, I doubt anything this parent would do would be good enough for me for quite some time, just because she would be on my poopy list. It is an emotional flaw of mine.
sahm2three 08:12 PM 01-26-2012
I will no longer be caring for these children. I cannot trust the mom. Not even for a second. She will not talk to me other than thru texting, so I sent her this message: "What happened yesterday was serious. I almost called 911. He started turning blue. I probably should have called. He was struggling to breath. If he reacts like that to just having a cold, that is a huge liability for me. If something happens on my watch I am on the hook. I can't take on that liability any longer. I can no longer offer my services, effective immediately. You may call me to speak about this further, and arrange to pick up the boys' things."
tbutler 09:17 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I will no longer be caring for these children. I cannot trust the mom. Not even for a second. She will not talk to me other than thru texting, so I sent her this message: "What happened yesterday was serious. I almost called 911. He started turning blue. I probably should have called. He was struggling to breath. If he reacts like that to just having a cold, that is a huge liability for me. If something happens on my watch I am on the hook. I can't take on that liability any longer. I can no longer offer my services, effective immediately. You may call me to speak about this further, and arrange to pick up the boys' things."
Good for you.
Oneluckymom 09:53 PM 01-26-2012
What the He!! I just can't believe it!! She obviously doesn't believe what you told her and thinks you're over reacting. These people always learn things the hard way...only this could be at the expense of her children. Sad . Good for you though for letting them go!
MissAnn 04:23 AM 01-27-2012
Keep us updated! Did she call?
Countrygal 04:24 AM 01-27-2012
I think you made the right decision!
Cat Herder 04:27 AM 01-27-2012
I think you did the right thing....

Sorry this happened to you.

You may want to call your CCR&R and ask their recomendations on proceeding further.
saved4always 04:33 AM 01-27-2012
Maybe you can send her a certified letter or something, too. Just to make it's "official". I agree with the poster who said the trust is broken. You are doing the right thing terming. You would never be able to trust anything she told you. And bad-mouthing you when you did nothing but take good care of her child is awful....if that is her reaction when you do something good, what would her reaction be to an actual disagreement?
MommyofThree 04:54 AM 01-27-2012
Call CPS now!!!!!! This breaks my heart!!!!!! If I got a call I would tell her to
Call 911 and meet at hospitL because there's not much I could do but take him myself and if he did it again in my car we might not make it to hospital by then. At least the ambulance can sped to get my child the medical care they needed I hate that my and breaks my heart!!!!!! I'd call CPS
godiva83 05:40 AM 01-27-2012
Heart breaking - I have a Mum exactly like this!
Her son had sever pneumonia and ended up just whistling to breath.... Not as bad as stopping. She continued to say oh he is fine he is just conjested. Well, my DH piped in and said he gets calls for less than that - and we will be calling 911 if it happens again.
I forced them to go to ER and return with a note
joysjustlikehome 05:49 AM 01-27-2012
You did the right thing! That poor little child - I would call CPS too - he needs to be seen by a doctor. Unbelievable parenting. ~Joy
nannyde 05:50 AM 01-27-2012
SAHM

Have you considered that this has happened to her before with the baby? Most likely on a number of occassions? I think he has a condition she has hidden from you. I think she has had numerous times when he has done this and he turned out fine so it doesn't phase her. She most likely spent hours in the ER or docs office just to have them give the kid a breathing treatment and they tell her to come back tomorrow.

What age did you get this kid?
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 01-27-2012
You definitely did the right thing by terming them immediately. If you cannot trust a parent to do what is right by their child when it comes to life/death situations then I would not want any part of it.

I absolutely would call child protective services and let them know what happened and what your concerns are in reference to the mom's odd behavior after the fact.

Have you tried speaking with the father at all?
Unregistered 10:35 AM 01-27-2012
let the stone throwing begin, but i think calling CPS is a little over the top!
cheerfuldom 11:23 AM 01-27-2012
my friend had this exact thing happen to her but in her case, she did call 911. the mom never came, spoke to the EMTs over the phone and wanted her daughter left at daycare!

I agree with nanny....this has probably happened to mom before. It had happened to this other child that I just mentioned but that mom never told the provider (probably assuming that no one would take her child in daycare if they did know).

In that case, it was related to severe allergies that did not react till later, versus the usual immediate reactions.

My friend did the same thing and refused to care for this child again. Can you imagine how awful it would have been if this child did not make it thru? You did the right thing but I would follow up with a certified termination letter outlining what will be done with her childs belongings....dont wait around for her to do anything and drag this out longer. you tell her what is going to happen. I would just mail everything with delivery confirmation.
momma2girls 12:19 PM 01-27-2012
So what ended up happening? Did she call you back?
Christian Mother 12:54 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
Sounds like the mom doesnt believe you, or thinks you are being over dramatic. She probably thinks you just didnt want him for the day.
So sad that she would put her own petty thoughts over the care of her child.

Definately dont accept him back without a drs note. Its a huge liability for you. Document everything, and if she doenst like what you require, then too bad, she can find care somewhere else.

If she treats you like this for caring about her childs well being, how will she treat you in other situations. Its disrespectful to you and your program.
I completely agree with this...I also agree with Nan on that I believe this is nothing new for mom and dad...they've experienced this before. Extremely sad! I have a family in my care that are pron to bad allergies and I have their 2 month in my care. That is my fear...it hasn't happened to me but I know that if it did mom and dad would not waist a single moment getting to him...they've been trying for a yr for this baby.

Good for you for taking control and nipping it in the bud now. I like to do things face to face but if you can't get them to respond or even to answer calls at least this you know is getting through to them. Make sure you send a certified letter also for your records and call your licensor.
PitterPatter 03:48 PM 01-27-2012
Wow how scary! Actually I just had to demand that a child be taken to the ER a couple weeks ago when a DCM kept blowing off a health issue. That child ended up being admitted to the hospital for days!

I feel very bad for the poor child since mom doesn't think it's such a serious matter. You did the right thing by letting them go. I know I couldn't deal with that serious of a situation.

Children are a gift I don't understand is why/how a MOTHER can be this carless with a child life.
MamaBear 07:59 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would refuse he come back until he was taken to the doctor.
I agree! Don't let her bring that baby back until he goes to a doctor & has a clear doctors note stating the diagnosis. Sheesh... What a loser mom!

NEVERMIND... i just read down some more and saw that you terminated them. GOOD for you! She is obviously hiding something from you. Better you cover your butt then find out the hard way that he has a serious condition. Good job SAHM.
mommacat 09:02 PM 01-27-2012
Wouldn't it be lovely to require a complete physical prior to enrollment like the school system does !
Unregistered 11:40 PM 01-27-2012
I finally heard from the mom of the baby who stopped breathing at my daycare yesterday. She decided she would "just wait and see how he did today and maybe take him tomorrow but he is doing great now" so I assume that to mean that she doesn't plan on taking her child to the doctor. HER SON STRUGGLED TO BREATH!!! HE WAS TURNING BLUE!!!! He looked at me with such a fright in his eyes. It breaks my heart and haunts me still, I was doing everything I could for him. I see it all in slow motion. So why am I more upset and alarmed than she is?! I am heartbroken for the little guy. I want to smack some sense into her. I don't even know what to say, other than you are released of your contract.
There is ONE exception that I could see as far as her not reacting: Does he do this often at home? My son did. After awhile, I learned how to take care of it myself and not rely on emergency services. There was one 911 call and one respiratory arrest in hospital after a surgery. I was always panicked and didn't allow my son to be with ANYONE but me. (he's a little spoiled now---unintentionally). If she's not just "used to it" because of something like what I went through, then I would report her ass. I would ask her though before you do. If she says "Oh he has apnea all the time and is fine..." then it may explain why she's shrugging it off (i.e. not a biggie to her because he's done it before and it's easy to take care of in her eyes)...but if she doesn't KNOW? That's just negligent!

Saying all the above, I have ALWAYS let any daycares know what's up at the phone interview. I wouldn't wait til an episode happens!

Did you give this mom your notice? I would have and NO refunds either. Maybe she'll shape up and get the kid some help. I would call CPS still though, since in HER case it sounds like she just doesn't care.
Unregistered 11:43 PM 01-27-2012
Also:

My son FTR had severe apnea and breathing episodes. This was something he just had and finally outgrew. He had it since birth. I always made sure anyone who cared for him knew infant CPR and how to administer steroids and oxygen. Yup...had this stuff ALL at my house!
Kaddidle Care 05:57 AM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
A mother doesn't feel it's necessary to leave work after her child stops breathing and turns blue.

If this is a typical thing for the child and she doesn't tell her DC provider it could mean the death of her child.

We are looking out for the child here, not the mother. The mother needs a serious wake up call.
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by mommacat:
Wouldn't it be lovely to require a complete physical prior to enrollment like the school system does !
Many child cares do this already. Home child cares have the option of having parents do this upon enrollment as well.

Sooner or later it will be something all child cares will be required to do.
WImom 06:31 AM 01-28-2012
In WI we have to have a Health Report signed by the child's doctor which I like since we know anything that could be wrong with the child health wise.
Solandia 09:48 AM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by mommacat:
Absolutely we do...it is the exact same school form. However, the parents are not required to disclose any information beyond immunization, lead test, height/weight, and a few other things. There is a section that the doctor has to sign stating there is nothing preventing the child from attending school/daycare, like having TB or a chronic contagious infection that is a community health concern.

Things like HIV+, HepB, and any of the mental health issues (Autism, ODD, ADHD, bipolar...) absolutely are not issues that parents must disclose at any time for any reason. It is their right to medical privacy and the child's.

Does this affect the care given to the child? Of course, I would want to know these things to better serve the child...but the cold, hard truth is that it is not my right to know.
sahm2three 10:25 AM 01-28-2012
[quote=Unregistered;191113]There is ONE exception that I could see as far as her not reacting: Does he do this often at home? My son did. After awhile, I learned how to take care of it myself and not rely on emergency services. There was one 911 call and one respiratory arrest in hospital after a surgery. I was always panicked and didn't allow my son to be with ANYONE but me. (he's a little spoiled now---unintentionally). If she's not just "used to it" because of something like what I went through, then I would report her ass. I would ask her though before you do. If she says "Oh he has apnea all the time and is fine..." then it may explain why she's shrugging it off (i.e. not a biggie to her because he's done it before and it's easy to take care of in her eyes)...but if she doesn't KNOW? That's just negligent!

Saying all the above, I have ALWAYS let any daycares know what's up at the phone interview. I wouldn't wait til an episode happens!

Did you give this mom your notice? I would have and NO refunds either. Maybe she'll shape up and get the kid some help. I would call CPS still though, since in HER case it sounds like she just doesn't care.[QUOTE/]

I have had him since he was 2 months old. He is 8 months. I have never had anything even remotely like this happen. She has never expressed any concerns about health in the past. The contrary, never seemed the least bit concerned about ANYTHING. This is the same baby I posted about his head swelling, and she called her doctor, or so she says, and said he was probably constipated. I since then have required a doctors note to re-enter daycare.

She finally called me last night. Says she took him to the doctor "just to make sure" that he was fine. She said the doctor said that the reason why he had the episode was because the crud in his chest was loose but he wasn't strong enough to cough it up. I told her that my decision to terminate still stands, I didn't feel like she reacted in the right way when I told her about what happened. She had no defense. I told her that I hoped she would start taking the health of her children more seriously from now on. She is mad, and got really short with me towards the end, but I am happy about my decision. I have all my paperwork in order, notes I have taken down throughout the time I have cared for him, so that I can call CPS on Monday if I come to that decision. Thank you all for your support.
familyschoolcare 11:33 AM 01-28-2012
If it is "over the top" the CPS will not do anything about it. As a mandated reporter it is our job to report things when even think might be a problem and let CPS decied if it is a problem.
Unregistered LYNN 12:41 PM 01-28-2012
[quote=sahm2three;191161]
There is ONE exception that I could see as far as her not reacting: Does he do this often at home? My son did. After awhile, I learned how to take care of it myself and not rely on emergency services. There was one 911 call and one respiratory arrest in hospital after a surgery. I was always panicked and didn't allow my son to be with ANYONE but me. (he's a little spoiled now---unintentionally). If she's not just "used to it" because of something like what I went through, then I would report her ass. I would ask her though before you do. If she says "Oh he has apnea all the time and is fine..." then it may explain why she's shrugging it off (i.e. not a biggie to her because he's done it before and it's easy to take care of in her eyes)...but if she doesn't KNOW? That's just negligent!

Did you give this mom your notice? I would have and NO refunds either. Maybe she'll shape up and get the kid some help. I would call CPS still though, since in HER case it sounds like she just doesn't care.[QUOTE/]

I have had him since he was 2 months old. He is 8 months. I have never had anything even remotely like this happen. She has never expressed any concerns about health in the past. The contrary, never seemed the least bit concerned about ANYTHING. This is the same baby I posted about his head swelling, and she called her doctor, or so she says, and said he was probably constipated. I since then have required a doctors note to re-enter daycare.

She finally called me last night. Says she took him to the doctor "just to make sure" that he was fine. She said the doctor said that the reason why he had the episode was because the crud in his chest was loose but he wasn't strong enough to cough it up. I told her that my decision to terminate still stands, I didn't feel like she reacted in the right way when I told her about what happened. She had no defense. I told her that I hoped she would start taking the health of her children more seriously from now on. She is mad, and got really short with me towards the end, but I am happy about my decision. I have all my paperwork in order, notes I have taken down throughout the time I have cared for him, so that I can call CPS on Monday if I come to that decision. Thank you all for your support.
Yeah I would still call, you are mandated. As scared as you are right now, just remember you never have to see this woman again, however her child does. Every day. You wouldn't want to read about the baby on the news, right? If nothing's wrong, then CPS will dismiss everything. But from what you told us, I sure hope she is required to complete some parenting classes and emergency preparedness classes at the very least. This is because you don't know #1 that she REALLY called anyone. She could just be saying that. #2 she's mad at YOU when she was in the wrong. My son has Hirschsprung's and has been FREQUENTLY constipated...his head has never been swollen from not pooping and this kid pushed out some "rocks" close to the size of a newborn's head! Sounds like this woman is just repeating behaviors...that's why you call CPS. (I was the original one that posted to you in your quote...my son's the apnea kid...Yep he has a lot of issues)
Tags:911, emergency, sick policy
Reply Up