Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can Grandparents Visit At Daycare?
Cathy 04:57 PM 11-23-2009
My grandchild's day care staff (Kentucky) states only mother and father are allowed to come during daytime to check on the child. My daughter wanted to authorized her grandfather and myself but was told they had other children to watch and couldn't watch us. I talked with other daycare staff and was told grandparents could come and sit with their grandchildren. Please advise!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 02:29 AM 11-24-2009
I would think it would be a distraction to the staff and children there, why not ask to be included on the pick up list and take your grandkids to spend some time with them? Here I do not allow "visits". In Indiana. I'm a private Childcare and no one comes to "visit" with their kids here. If a grandparent wants to see their child, they pick them up.
mac60 05:25 AM 11-24-2009
I totally agree. I can't imagine how disruptive it would be to have family members just show up at dc for a visit.
momma2girls 06:02 AM 11-24-2009
I agree, it is bad enough at drop offs and pick ups!!!!
Unregistered 06:11 AM 11-24-2009
By law we let the parents have access (of course), but to have grandparents or any family come to visit? No
And I let the parents know if they want to visit and the child gets upset when they leave, they must take them with them.
They learn pretty quick that it's not fair to the child who thinks it's time to go.
Anybody who wants access to my daycare other than parents, for an extended period of time, has to go through a background check and fingerprinting.
If you have the time to visit, why not get on the pick up list and take the child out?
Unregistered 06:32 AM 11-24-2009
It can be very disruptive. I have a particular grandma that likes to play outside with the kids, which is a nice thought, but their behavior when there is an "outsider" can be atrocious. Her grandchild's is the worst, screaming at her to push him on the swings, to play on the tire swing, throwing the balls at her, and she does not appreciate me stepping in to remind him of appropriate behaviors. "I'll handle it", well crap lady, handle it then. You may allow that at home, but I don't allow it here. Argh. I really do not enjoy it, it screws up the flow of things, and flow can be very important when large groups of children are involved.
jen 06:47 AM 11-24-2009
Sorry, that would be totally disruptive! It's great that you want to spend time, but I would suggest you simply pick them up!
Tags:grandparents, policy, visiting
Reply Up