Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program
Unregistered 08:16 AM 03-10-2010
Does anybody on the food program, use Schwans food?
And is the food program the same in every state?
mac60 08:41 AM 03-10-2010
I can't afford Schwans for my own family let alone dc kids. No help here.
newtoeverything 10:06 AM 03-10-2010
I would try angel food ministries. I haven't started yet, but i believe it will help and it will save money. See if there is your in your area...

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/
Unregistered 10:24 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I can't afford Schwans for my own family let alone dc kids. No help here.
I feed my dc kids just the same as I feed my family and I have never thought of using Schwans, so I am interested in seeing if others use Schwans!
tenderhearts 11:09 AM 03-10-2010
I'm with Mac60 on this one, can't afford it for my own family let alone the dck.
Kenny 11:14 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I'm with Mac60 on this one, can't afford it for my own family let alone the dck.
Do you feed your daycare kids differently then your family?

I however have never bought food from Schwans, are they that more expensive?
Daycare Mommy 11:19 AM 03-10-2010
Another ditto on what Mac60 said. Too pricey.
tenderhearts 11:29 AM 03-10-2010
Well all the food I buy is shared with my family, however most lunches my own children are not here since they are in school, but they would and do eat all the same food if it's in there to make for lunches on weekends and such or if it's a no school day they'd eat the same, oh and my husband (he's self employed) he eats whatever I make for the kids. Schwans is really expensive in my opinion, plus I don't buy any processed foods for my family OR the dck, it's unhealthy in my opinion anyways.
Unregistered 11:30 AM 03-10-2010
It's too expensive and all pre-packaged over processed frozen stuff. It's convenient, but I'm not sure how healthy. My grandparents used to get ice cream from them. I always liked that when I was a kid, but don't really need my food delivered now.
Childminder 11:46 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by newtoeverything:
I would try angel food ministries. I haven't started yet, but i believe it will help and it will save money. See if there is your in your area...

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/
Tried Angel Food and the fruit and vegetable boxes are nice but we ended up with a lot of items that we did not use nor like. Some mystery food items and unappetizing looking stuff that wasn't eaten. So, for us, just a waste of money. Lots of mystery chicken parts. another reason I did not care for it is that my menu is preplanned for the month and waiting to see what is in the box is a pain to plan around.

On the food program and all are basically the same from state to state because it is a USDA program with different sponsors in each state.
mac60 01:20 PM 03-10-2010
I would love to feed the dc kids what we as a family eat, but they won't eat it. I feed them what they will eat, within reason. I feel they get fed here well, but it is not steak and potatoes......and for dinner for my family, we rarely have a sit down dinner anymore.....I am gone 3 nights per week, daughter is gone 3 or 4 nights per week, so not much point......here we call it fend for yourself.
tenderhearts 01:47 PM 03-10-2010
Let me clarify that I don't feed my dck steak either just because my family has that for dinner, but I feed them leftovers depending on if the kids like it because like Mac60 9 times out of 10 they will not like what we had for dinner, but if I make home made burritos and have left overs, I do serve my daycare kids this, or if I have left over spaghetti, things like that but most stuff they wont eat. My lunches are pretty kid standard lunches and it's the same as my own kids eat on weekends and when they are home for lunch, grilled cheese, dino nuggets, quesadilla, pizza subs, those kinds of things, I dont' make these kinds of things for dinner but we do eat them for lunch.
originalkat 02:53 PM 03-10-2010
I also feed leftovers when we have them (which the kids usually dont eat LOL) and then other kid friendly foods like mac and cheese, nuggets, corn dogs etc...

On the food program they told me that most Chicken nuggets are not counted because they dont have CNS labels (I think that is what they are called) so they dont know how much is "meat" to credit to the meal. Supposedly Schwans offers the required labels or product info sheets so you can credit their chicken nuggets. That is what my food program lady told me. I dont use Schwans but I thought that might be helpful information.
Former Teacher 02:59 PM 03-10-2010
I would love to feed the dc kids what we as a family eat, but they won't eat it. I feed them what they will eat, within reason. I feel they get fed here well, but it is not steak and potatoes......and for dinner for my family, we rarely have a sit down dinner anymore.....I am gone 3 nights per week, daughter is gone 3 or 4 nights per week, so not much point......here we call it fend for yourself.
When I am to tired to cook or whatever..we call it fend for yourself too!
melskids 03:21 AM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I also feed leftovers when we have them (which the kids usually dont eat LOL) and then other kid friendly foods like mac and cheese, nuggets, corn dogs etc...

On the food program they told me that most Chicken nuggets are not counted because they dont have CNS labels (I think that is what they are called) so they dont know how much is "meat" to credit to the meal. Supposedly Schwans offers the required labels or product info sheets so you can credit their chicken nuggets. That is what my food program lady told me. I dont use Schwans but I thought that might be helpful information.

i was told the chicken nuggets counted as meat if i served a double portion, (regardless if it had a CN label) but not as a bread component for the breading. i served them for the first time last month, (i just joined FP in january) and was credited for them, so i guess it was O.K.
mac60 04:00 AM 03-11-2010
I would like to add, that I was brought up that lunch was just that, lunch, and supper (or dinner as some call it) is the big meal of the day, and that is how I run my daycare. My mom always fixed meat and potatoes and veggie for supper every night when I was a kid. We always had a big meal at night.
That being said, I feel I do feed my dck well. I do try to throw in some different foods at least once a week, but get frustrated when it ends up in the trash because 2 or 3 of the 5 or 6 "don't like it".

I too fix the typical kid friendly meals here. I make sure each day they have a minimum of 3 to 4 choices on their plate. But one thing I will not do is make 2 different meals to please everyone. I just do the best I can with 1 planned meal, and know that I can't please everyone all of the time. I hate throwing food out and have resorted to only serving what I know they will eat. I also finally lost the thought that it was my responsibility to feed them a 5 coarse meal. It is not, I am serving them lunch, not supper. Sometimes I will eat what they eat, but most times not, heck, sometimes I forget to eat until about 2:30 and I am like "I am starving".
originalkat 06:41 AM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
i was told the chicken nuggets counted as meat if i served a double portion, (regardless if it had a CN label) but not as a bread component for the breading. i served them for the first time last month, (i just joined FP in january) and was credited for them, so i guess it was O.K.
Yes I think you are right but my food program lady said that would be about 8 chicken nuggets per kid so obviously is not a realistic portion so they prefer I supplement with another protien. I have served 2-3 nuggets each with a portion of baked beans or a 1oz string cheese stick etc... I have done the same with fish sticks.
Unregistered 06:52 AM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Yes I think you are right but my food program lady said that would be about 8 chicken nuggets per kid so obviously is not a realistic portion so they prefer I supplement with another protien. I have served 2-3 nuggets each with a portion of baked beans or a 1oz string cheese stick etc... I have done the same with fish sticks.
Great idea my dck are always asking for nuggets, and they love string cheese!
momofsix 09:00 AM 03-11-2010
I would like to add, that I was brought up that lunch was just that, lunch, and supper (or dinner as some call it) is the big meal of the day, and that is how I run my daycare. My mom always fixed meat and potatoes and veggie for supper every night when I was a kid. We always had a big meal at night.
That being said, I feel I do feed my dck well. I do try to throw in some different foods at least once a week, but get frustrated when it ends up in the trash because 2 or 3 of the 5 or 6 "don't like it".

I too fix the typical kid friendly meals here. I make sure each day they have a minimum of 3 to 4 choices on their plate. But one thing I will not do is make 2 different meals to please everyone. I just do the best I can with 1 planned meal, and know that I can't please everyone all of the time. I hate throwing food out and have resorted to only serving what I know they will eat. I also finally lost the thought that it was my responsibility to feed them a 5 coarse meal. It is not, I am serving them lunch, not supper. Sometimes I will eat what they eat, but most times not, heck, sometimes I forget to eat until about 2:30 and I am like "I am starving".
I totally agree, my kids get a protien, bread, and two fruits/veggies and milk or water (harldy any of them will touch milk).
I forget to eat too--by the time they're resting and I've cleaned up it's the same thing as you, I'm starving and realize how late it is and I haven't eaten!
ghostlykisses 10:29 AM 03-16-2010
I buy ice cream from Schwans for my family. It is cheaper than the ice cream truck and I like the individual portioned items. Most of their items are way too pricey though.

Last week when my Schwans man was here he mentioned to me that Schwans offers a program for licensed daycares. They have lists of the foods that are food program approved as well as offering free items when you purchase a certain amount. He said with what I order in ice cream each month I would at least get one free item so I will sign up just for that
Tags:angel food, food program, schwans
Reply Up