Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terminating the Boy
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:51 AM 07-07-2010
I always feel uncomfortable doing this, but I let the mom of the 4 year old boy know I will no longer be able to provide care for her child after this week. I have wonderful families except for this one and I will feel much more comfortable sticking with the families that show me respect and show up on time and have better communication.

This mom just makes me feel uncomfortable...never communicates and if you've followed my ranting posts there is many other reasons. I feel bad for the boy, his behavior is not my sole reason for this termination (it drives me batty at times, but I have had worse, believe me!) but I just can't work for this mom any longer...just not a good fit for me.

One day she's leaving without saying goodbye and the next she's hanging around for 10min. withouth saying anything...just odd! I say good morning to her, she says nothing. Yesterday at pick up my daughter was getting something out of the cupboard and broke a glass on the floor...I spent 10min. cleaning it up and she stood in my doorway holding her 4 year old son and said NOTHING, meanwhile her son is trying to squiggle out of her arms because he's ready to go out the door. Why would you stand there for 10 min. without saying a word and then leave (while your child is obviously ready to go)? All the other daycare kids were gone for the day and my other 3 daughters were in their rooms doing their own thing and my 4 year old that broke the glass was just sitting on the couch waiting for me to finish cleaning up the glass...it's not like anything amazing was happening...if she had something to say I could understand but she said NOTHING...and I was busy cleaning up the mess so why not just leave?

I would think maybe she wanted to tell me something and was too afraid to, BUT she has done this very same thing a few times before..just stood there as I went upon my business cleaning up from the day (she's the last to pick up) without saying anything and leave. I don't care if a parent observes, but honestly there is nothing to observe as she's the last to pick up and nothing going on...it's just creepy the way she stands there and says nothing for several min. and then leaves. Especially when she's right at my closing time or late and cutting into my family time.

I'm just glad I will move on with my wonderful families that I have now...I have 3 wonderful full time families and 2 part time families for the summer.
Daycare Mommy 06:56 AM 07-07-2010
How weird. If it were me, I'd walk over and stand facing her. "Is there anything else you needed tonight? No? Then you guys have a nice evening!" Big smile and open the door for them.
jen 07:00 AM 07-07-2010
How did Mom take the news?
DBug 07:06 AM 07-07-2010
My comments on this mom before were that maybe she was stressed or overtired, causing her anti-social behaviour. But now I wonder if she struggles with some form of Aspergers? Regardless, I agree with your decision. Her behaviour is odd and a little creepy. I'm very hesitant to have someone in my house that makes me uncomfortable, so I'd likely let her go too. Hopefully this mom will find daycare where she's a better fit.
momma2girls 07:17 AM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I always feel uncomfortable doing this, but I let the mom of the 4 year old boy know I will no longer be able to provide care for her child after this week. I have wonderful families except for this one and I will feel much more comfortable sticking with the families that show me respect and show up on time and have better communication.

This mom just makes me feel uncomfortable...never communicates and if you've followed my ranting posts there is many other reasons. I feel bad for the boy, his behavior is not my sole reason for this termination (it drives me batty at times, but I have had worse, believe me!) but I just can't work for this mom any longer...just not a good fit for me.

One day she's leaving without saying goodbye and the next she's hanging around for 10min. withouth saying anything...just odd! I say good morning to her, she says nothing. Yesterday at pick up my daughter was getting something out of the cupboard and broke a glass on the floor...I spent 10min. cleaning it up and she stood in my doorway holding her 4 year old son and said NOTHING, meanwhile her son is trying to squiggle out of her arms because he's ready to go out the door. Why would you stand there for 10 min. without saying a word and then leave (while your child is obviously ready to go)? All the other daycare kids were gone for the day and my other 3 daughters were in their rooms doing their own thing and my 4 year old that broke the glass was just sitting on the couch waiting for me to finish cleaning up the glass...it's not like anything amazing was happening...if she had something to say I could understand but she said NOTHING...and I was busy cleaning up the mess so why not just leave?

I would think maybe she wanted to tell me something and was too afraid to, BUT she has done this very same thing a few times before..just stood there as I went upon my business cleaning up from the day (she's the last to pick up) without saying anything and leave. I don't care if a parent observes, but honestly there is nothing to observe as she's the last to pick up and nothing going on...it's just creepy the way she stands there and says nothing for several min. and then leaves. Especially when she's right at my closing time or late and cutting into my family time.

I'm just glad I will move on with my wonderful families that I have now...I have 3 wonderful full time families and 2 part time families for the summer.
THis would be very weird to me. I probably would do the same to her- just go over to her- is there something else you needed, and open the door- "have a good evening"
jen 08:37 AM 07-07-2010
I forgot to add that I thought her behavior was odd as well...I guess that is why I am curious as to how she took the news!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:08 AM 07-07-2010
I sent her an Email because I told her over the weekend...I didn't want to bother her PLUS I'm chicken!! LOL. I admit it, I hate telling people they have to go. I explained to her that I have more and more adding up on my plate this summer and I won't be able to run a full daycare like I originaly thought I could and I'm downsizing...my oldest daughter has to go to summer school for math and I have to provide transportation to and from (which is the honest truth, my mom is going to help me out with watching daycare so I can take her to and from school for summer school, she's my substitute). I also told her I would help her find someone if she needed.

She responded with just a simple Ok, let me know if you know anyone around the area. And didn't say anything about it when she dropped off on Tuesday...at pick up on Tuesday I gave her a print out of the list of registered providers in our area...again, not much response, I just told her those are the ones around the area and not sure if she checked into them yet.

I know I should have done that (went over to the door and asked her if she needed anything). I just wanted to get the mess cleaned up so nobody stepped on broken glass....always think about this stuff after the fact.

She is just "creepy". Can't wait for 2 more days!!
momma2girls 09:58 AM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I sent her an Email because I told her over the weekend...I didn't want to bother her PLUS I'm chicken!! LOL. I admit it, I hate telling people they have to go. I explained to her that I have more and more adding up on my plate this summer and I won't be able to run a full daycare like I originaly thought I could and I'm downsizing...my oldest daughter has to go to summer school for math and I have to provide transportation to and from (which is the honest truth, my mom is going to help me out with watching daycare so I can take her to and from school for summer school, she's my substitute). I also told her I would help her find someone if she needed.

She responded with just a simple Ok, let me know if you know anyone around the area. And didn't say anything about it when she dropped off on Tuesday...at pick up on Tuesday I gave her a print out of the list of registered providers in our area...again, not much response, I just told her those are the ones around the area and not sure if she checked into them yet.

I know I should have done that (went over to the door and asked her if she needed anything). I just wanted to get the mess cleaned up so nobody stepped on broken glass....always think about this stuff after the fact.

She is just "creepy". Can't wait for 2 more days!!
I bet you can't. SHe is too creepy!! I know I always think of good comebacks or things to say after the fact- alot of times it's such a shock, and have no idea on what to even say. Good for you!!
Tags:4 year old, terminate
Reply Up