Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>how do i tell my current families...
mommyneedsadayoff 01:03 PM 09-15-2015
I want to quit daycare to continue my education, BUT, I still want to keep one of my current kids.

Here is the situation.

I watch 3 kids, plus my own two, and one of them has long hours, so they pay me over twice as much as the other families. I am basically making nanny rates with this child and I love him, his parents, and our current agreement, even though I get up at 5 am for his drop off. The other two are full time (7-5) and on my base rate. I want to keep watching the first one and let go of the other two, but I am not sure how to tell them without them asking why I am keeping the other child. They may not know I am keeping the other kid, but one of them is a close friend and I KNOW she will find out.

I was thinking something like, "I have decided to stop doing daycare so I may continue my education..." which wouldn't be a lie, since I would basically be a nanny at that point (except he would be at my house and I would still be my own employer, not their employee). Do you think that would be okay? Not a lie, but not really the whole truth? Ugh, i feel overwhelmed with it. I hate this part of the job.
daycare 01:14 PM 09-15-2015
DCP of second schedule

I have decided to further my education which will require me to reduce my enrollment here at the childcare. It is with sad news that inform you that as of XYZ I will no longer be able to offer care for your children.

Should you need any assistance in finding new care, the number for R&R is _____________. I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to be your child's first teacher, we wish them all the best.

Regards,
DCP
Blackcat31 01:40 PM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I want to quit daycare to continue my education, BUT, I still want to keep one of my current kids.

Here is the situation.

I watch 3 kids, plus my own two, and one of them has long hours, so they pay me over twice as much as the other families. I am basically making nanny rates with this child and I love him, his parents, and our current agreement, even though I get up at 5 am for his drop off. The other two are full time (7-5) and on my base rate. I want to keep watching the first one and let go of the other two, but I am not sure how to tell them without them asking why I am keeping the other child. They may not know I am keeping the other kid, but one of them is a close friend and I KNOW she will find out.

I was thinking something like, "I have decided to stop doing daycare so I may continue my education..." which wouldn't be a lie, since I would basically be a nanny at that point (except he would be at my house and I would still be my own employer, not their employee). Do you think that would be okay? Not a lie, but not really the whole truth? Ugh, i feel overwhelmed with it. I hate this part of the job.
I wouldn't tell any of them anything other than you will no longer be available to provide care to their families. Then state the last date you are available and carry on doing what you plan to do.

As for the family you do plan on keeping, just talk to them privately and let them know you plan on closing your child care doors as a provider for multiple families but are willing to continue providing care to them if they wish to continue.

I would not explain any of your intentions or your reasons. In all honesty, they only thing they (the families) really care about is their care arrangements and what they will do for child care.

Not saying some wont care, as some will but ultimately it makes no difference if this is what you are going to do. The reasons also make no difference to them other than "good luck to you!"....The reasons don't provide care for them or help them find new care....kwim?
littletots 02:32 PM 09-15-2015
Have you mentioned to the "keep family" your plan? Good thing you have two personal children because they may want to move with his buddy friend? Because these families chat I understand your dilemma. I wouldn't go into detail. The "keep family" could tell them arrangements were made.
nannyde 04:16 PM 09-15-2015
Just tell them you have decided to become a Nanny.
Reply Up