Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>dcg destructive
mamamanda 07:56 AM 10-06-2015
I have a 19mo dcg who is very smart and very verbal. She has been in a hitting phase for the last month and I have to really watch her to keep her from hitting, kicking, squeezing necks, and laying on other kids and babies. In the last couple weeks though she has broken so many things. She ripped up 2 library books, broke the magna doodle, rips other kids' papers at art time, yanks toys out of hands (which is how the magna doodle got broken). I'm so beside myself. This is not my normal age group so I'm wondering if this is just normal for her age? How do I correct it? She is very verbal and behaves/understands much more like an older 2 year old except for the aggression so I don't understand it. Any tips? I've been just moving her to a pack n play to play by herself each time she's mean but she's spending a lot of time there now which doesn't seem good either.
childcaremom 08:46 AM 10-06-2015
At this age, it's a lot of repetition. A lot.

If she is being aggressive to others, I would do an immediate "no!" (I save my no's so that they hear them and respond) and then remove her from the situation. Everything else I would redirect. And redirect. And redirect.

Have you talked to the parents? I would ask what discipline methods they are using at home, explain what you are seeing in your home, and get on the same page. Hopefully that nips it quicker than not.

I am following this thread as I have a similar situation, as well. In my limited experience, the children who respond the best are the ones who have limits imposed on them at home, as well.
Play Care 03:05 AM 10-07-2015
I currently have two 17 month olds in care. At this age I use my play yard, a lot. I stock it with soft baby toys (cloth blocks, cloth books, some soft animals or dolls) Unless I can be right with them, someone goes in the play yard. Most of it is being able to intervene as soon as I see one of them going for another person's toy or anything else I don't want them doing (hitting, climbing on the furniture, etc).
I also have to remember that anytime I am busy (changing a diaper, making lunch, etc) the littles really need to be "put up" every. single. time. This may mean the play yard with toys, or the high chair with spoons and such to "help" Thankfully my state's rules allow for some use of these devices for short term safety purposes. I find being proactive here makes for a much nicer day.
Reply Up