Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holiday Parties for families...
Luvnmykidz 01:21 PM 01-17-2016
Do any providers do Holiday parties for past, present and soon to be enrolled families? If so do you charge an admission fee or ask parents to donate something for that event ( Easter eggs, candies, juice boxes, or anything at all)? Do you use this opportunity to do some fundraising for your daycare to update supplies or purchase a much wanted costly item (swing set, outdoor ride on toys, etc. ) ? I have done other events for my families and rented a location, paid for the food and entertainment and just encouraged families to come and enjoy the activities with their little ones. The turn out was great ( 20+ kids). Parents were very appreciative of the opportunity and everyone made sure their children behaved appropriately and had a good time. I get along well with my families and enjoy encouraging families to be involved with their children as well as seeing that interaction from time to time. It helps paint a better picture of each child and why they may behave the way they do. I have never charged for any parties that I have done and parents are always donating candies, or small snacks to go towards the party.

I am really curious to see what everyone does regarding this as well as hear opinions.
I am preparing to do a big Easter Egg Hunt for my families and am tossing around the idea of either asking for parents to bring plastic eggs or candies, or charging a small fee for the event. The event will be open to all families, (past, present, future enrolling) so there will be a lot of people there. Most of my past enrolled families still utilize my drop in or parents night out services and have left on good terms. There will be a bounce house, egg hunt and a few other small games as well as food. There are a few things that I would like to purchase or update within my FCC, but am not sure etiquette wise if this is the route to go. If I do this party as a fundraiser the money raised will help with the purchase of needed/wanted items and supplies, as well as off set the cost of field trips and in-house activities that we do. I look forward to hearing everyone's ideas, suggestions, and opinions. TIA
rosieteddy 08:51 AM 01-18-2016
I think it would be hard to charge them.You can use it as a business, expense I think.You could advertise the DayCare.It might also be tax deductible for the enrolled children. I never involved parents in our parties,it was very low key.I would just do things for my little group. What is acceptable in your area?Could you change it up now? If so I would send out a notice asking for a donation of x amount per family for say outside equipment or new supplies. How would that work on your taxes ? Good luck.
Snowmom 09:15 AM 01-18-2016
I used to do 2-3 parties annually (usually on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon). I never charged and did write the expenses off- and I usually spent around $250-$300 between supplies, food and activities. Every event was full attendance.
Then, I started feeling like they were expected and not appreciated. So, I stopped last year.
This past November, I decided to do a Friday Night Parent Night Out/Pizza Party for the kids. I put a sign up by the cubbies and told everyone. The difference this time was that I charged $25 per child. It was an evening event with dinner, crafts and evening snack and the kids would be here from open (7:30) to around 10pm.
One family out of 7 signed up. :/

If it's free... they'd be jumping all over it.
Luvnmykidz 11:22 AM 01-18-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I used to do 2-3 parties annually (usually on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon). I never charged and did write the expenses off- and I usually spent around $250-$300 between supplies, food and activities. Every event was full attendance.
Then, I started feeling like they were expected and not appreciated. So, I stopped last year.
This past November, I decided to do a Friday Night Parent Night Out/Pizza Party for the kids. I put a sign up by the cubbies and told everyone. The difference this time was that I charged $25 per child. It was an evening event with dinner, crafts and evening snack and the kids would be here from open (7:30) to around 10pm.
One family out of 7 signed up. :/

If it's free... they'd be jumping all over it.
I do parents night out twice a month from 6pm to midnight and charge a fee. I normally have full attendance for those sessions. My families always ask if there's a cost for the events that I do, which is why I wondered if other providers charge for these.
Thriftylady 11:28 AM 01-18-2016
I don't do parties or other events and likely never will. I couldn't even get all my families to bring their kids on the same day for a Christmas party, which was a few free hours of care for the ones not scheduled that day. I am not even sure I will be doing parties for the kids again.
Luvnmykidz 11:32 AM 01-18-2016
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I think it would be hard to charge them.You can use it as a business, expense I think.You could advertise the DayCare.It might also be tax deductible for the enrolled children. I never involved parents in our parties,it was very low key.I would just do things for my little group. What is acceptable in your area?Could you change it up now? If so I would send out a notice asking for a donation of x amount per family for say outside equipment or new supplies. How would that work on your taxes ? Good luck.
At this point I haven't sent out a letter with the date of the Easter Party. The parents know we will have one, as we've discussed in general that we will have one and they've all asked what the cost will be and what donations would I like them to bring. I have told them I'm still planning and will send a letter out once I have everything planned out. In my area it's not common for home daycares to do events for families. Some of the centers do activities and events for families, but they ask for donations with a sign up sheet for parents to choose what items they would like to bring.
Unregistered 02:06 PM 01-18-2016
I only do a Christmas holiday party and invite current and past families. I require an RSVP so I know exactly how much food and goody bags are needed, plus how much is entertainment if the charge is per child attending. This helps me to decide what type of entertainment or activity to do to keep cost low for my budget. Some families do not attend because of schedule conflicts. I do not charge a fee but it is potluck so families bring a dish to share which cuts down on cost of food. I deduct it as a business expense plus it's good advertising because I get a lot of referrals from past families.
midaycare 04:33 PM 01-18-2016
I throw 2 bigger parties a year; Halloween and Easter. I do it during daycare hours and have never asked for donations. I usually spend up to $300 and have all kids attend, even if it's not their day.
Unregistered 07:48 PM 01-18-2016
What if you did a raffle for a free parents night out? You'd be losing whatever you charge for one child for a parents' night out, but could make a little extra money to buy supplies or toys for the daycare, or even use it to partially reimburse yourself for the expense of the party? My son attended a small daycare center when he was younger and they would hold a xmas party on a Saturday morning that was open to the public, although it seemed to be mostly past and current families who attended, although many would bring friends/family. They'd raffle off a free week of childcare (I don't think that would work in a family childcare setting, that would be a big loss of income), and some of the teachers would offer an item for raffle (one made beautiful jewelry), they would get local businesses to raffle baskets (a salon provided a basket of products, a coffee shop a coffee gift basket etc.). You could also try to make the event a potluck, which would cut down on your cost for the party?
Josiegirl 02:33 AM 01-19-2016
I think asking parents to help with candy/plastic eggs for an Easter Egg Hunt is cool. Nothing wrong in that. As far as asking for donations outright, I guess I'd probably have a harder time with that. But what about having a daycare yard sale and all proceeds go to playground equipment, etc.? I don't think people usually complain about something like that? They get rid of stuff, you can host it at your place, whether they want to come or not is up to them. Could be a good social gathering if they wanted to show up. Go all out with advertising and state it's to raise $$ for the daycare?

I admire providers who do special things with dcfs. I'm such an introvert I find it incredibly difficult. I'm great one on one but put me with the crowd and I like to hide. A year ago I had a Christmas party for dc and current families. It went well, Santa came, but I stressed over it for an entire month. I'd simply rather not. And at my age, if I'm not forced to step out of my comfort zone, I mostly likely won't.
Luvnmykidz 05:34 AM 01-19-2016
You all have some really good ideas. I was thinking about having a raffle for a few baskets of goodies and free parents night out sessions. I would like to encourage families to bring friends and family members because that helps with advertising. We will have it on a friends farm and will have a bounce house and a few other simple games for the kids to enjoy. I will be purchasing event insurance for the day to cover us and I will request everyone to RSVP so that I have an idea of how many people will be there. Because I offer a variety of childcare services and am open until midnight daily I have 20+ families enrolled. Some use me just for drop in care or parents night out sessions. Some are full and part time and some are 2 times a month usually on weekends. I just depends on my availability and the needs of the families. Keep the ideas coming ladies. Thanks
spedmommy4 06:30 PM 01-19-2016
I host an annual Christmas party for my own families and alumni.

I also get together with about 6 other large family childcares and we host an annual carnival at a big local park. Last year we had a clown/magic show, a trackless train ride, firefighters & truck, police officers & car, the local zoo, a bug zoo, Lego Brickz 4 Kids program, an art bus, activity stations, and pizza for everyone.

All seven childcares split the cost evenly and my share was $150, including food for my families. None of us charged admission, but it was amazing advertising for my business.
Josiegirl 03:04 AM 01-20-2016
Spedmommy, that sounds so awesome!!!!
Play Care 05:53 AM 01-20-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I host an annual Christmas party for my own families and alumni.

I also get together with about 6 other large family childcares and we host an annual carnival at a big local park. Last year we had a clown/magic show, a trackless train ride, firefighters & truck, police officers & car, the local zoo, a bug zoo, Lego Brickz 4 Kids program, an art bus, activity stations, and pizza for everyone.

All seven childcares split the cost evenly and my share was $150, including food for my families. None of us charged admission, but it was amazing advertising for my business.
That sounds fantastic!!

I used to do a small Christmas party on the last day before the "break" When I had all younger kiddos, it was well attended and nice. However with the shift in my program to older kids, kids in preschool, big school, etc. I found the families viewing the party as yet another "school" event to attend during an already busy season. The older kids were off the wall with parents here creating an unpleasant atmosphere. I also had a parent bring a 6 pack to it

So I haven't done it in a few years and I don't miss it now. I would love to figure out something to do at perhaps another time of the year, but maybe when this group moves on.
Reply Up