Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Brightwheel Question!
Pandaluver21 05:57 PM 10-11-2016
We recently switched over to Brightwheel from paper reports that we have been doing for 8 years :P
I am getting used to the program and have started inviting parents.

I was looking and there doesn't seem to be an option to send a report at the end of the day?

I love the parents we have, but I don't 100% trust that they will check it every evening lol. I would love to find a way to e-mail them (or text them) a report every evening with the days info.
Hunni Bee 05:06 AM 10-12-2016
We use it, and you're right it doesn't send out a report at the end of the day. They have to check it.

I worried about that too....but it does give notifications if they have the app on their phones ("New photo of Johnny") and all you do is tap the notification to view the report.

It's there, and if they can't handle tapping a picture, oh well .

ETA: We used to use one called Mychild, which does send out a daily email. We had lots of problems with them, but I suspect it was mostly because we were using the crappy Android version of the app. The Apple version worked better.
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
We recently switched over to Brightwheel from paper reports that we have been doing for 8 years :P

I was looking and there doesn't seem to be an option to send a report at the end of the day?

I love the parents we have, but I don't 100% trust that they will check it every evening lol. I would love to find a way to e-mail them (or text them) a report every evening with the days info.
Honestly, I don't worry about IF a parent checks in and reads their child's updates. I can't make them check into Brightwheel any more than I can be sure they read their texts or e-mails.

I put the information out there and parents are notified where and how to check in. The actually "doing" part is on them. I don't parent parents.
laundrymom 05:45 AM 10-12-2016
I don't even do daily reports.
I've not had a parent ask in decades. I do text through the day.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Honestly, I don't worry about IF a parent checks in and reads their child's updates. I can't make them check into Brightwheel any more than I can be sure they read their texts or e-mails.

I put the information out there and parents are notified where and how to check in. The actually "doing" part is on them. I don't parent parents.

Blackcat31 05:58 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I haven't either.
But I started doing daily reports again for the youngest here as part of my QRIS requirements.

On a side note, I won't go to such great lengths to make daily reports, stay on top of all the info put into those reports, find time to do them for EACH child in an already busy day nor will I then stress about whether a parent reads the info or not....

I think if a parent is truly interested in their child and their child's day to day activities, they'll read the reports in whatever way the provider uses to communicate....because the parent is genuinely interested.

If the parent isn't really interested, you can put it on a neon billboard addressed specifically to them and they still won't read it.
LittleScholars 05:58 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:

I also don't care if they check. The push notifications to the phones have helped, but if a parent doesn't want to review the report I don't care. I feel the same way about my newsletter. I do put important things in there, but it is up to them to read it.

I do text them with updates I need them to care about, and I've communicated that. So, if a supply is needed or a child is ill they will get a text. Parents always read and respond to these immediately. It has been working really well for us, and it helps them know what info they can enjoy on their lunch break/after work and what info they really need to attend to.
midaycare 06:42 AM 10-12-2016
I stopped doing newsletters for this reason. Everything is on Brightwheel. If a parent doesn't check, that's on them.

Although what a bummer if they miss the memo about when my days off are, or when party days are. I don't give verbal reminders. I'm not their mom.

Parents here are expected to check the Brightwheel calendar. Any diaper/food questions I refer them to Brightwheel. "Check Brightwheel. Lunch is listed there." Etc. If they ask me what we worked on today, same thing.

May I just say though, Brightwheel is super awesome. If you are reading this and not using this, you should. All of my families pay me using this and there is no charge And it's on auto-invoice
onebzmom 07:27 AM 10-12-2016
We are on our second month of Brightwheel and we are also working out the kinks! My parents love it, I have 1 who never could remember to sign in and now she actually does! I don't do a daily note but I add pictures and updates almost every day. I have a white board that I write important reminders or other last min stuff that might need to be seen at the moment.
daycarediva 09:12 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I stopped doing newsletters for this reason. Everything is on Brightwheel. If a parent doesn't check, that's on them.

Although what a bummer if they miss the memo about when my days off are, or when party days are. I don't give verbal reminders. I'm not their mom.

Parents here are expected to check the Brightwheel calendar. Any diaper/food questions I refer them to Brightwheel. "Check Brightwheel. Lunch is listed there." Etc. If they ask me what we worked on today, same thing.

May I just say though, Brightwheel is super awesome. If you are reading this and not using this, you should. All of my families pay me using this and there is no charge And it's on auto-invoice
I just started using it. Shut the front door though! Where's the calendar? How do I get this feature? Also, brightwheel says 3.5% of each cc payment. OUCH!
daycarediva 09:13 AM 10-12-2016
My parents all LOVE it. They check it regularly and send me messages through it.
midaycare 10:04 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I just started using it. Shut the front door though! Where's the calendar? How do I get this feature? Also, brightwheel says 3.5% of each cc payment. OUCH!
CC payments, yes. Have parents set it up from their checking or savings account. My payment options are Brightwheel autopay or cash.

The calendar is right on the home screen If you can't find it, don't use the app, go online. All of my vacation days, dr appts, class parties are in there. If I want to send a reminder, I do a quick Brightwheel note to everyone to check the calendar
midaycare 10:04 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
My parents all LOVE it. They check it regularly and send me messages through it.
My parents refer to it as, "Facebook for toddlers"
Crazy8 10:30 AM 10-12-2016
I am using Tadpoles over Brightwheel because I like that Tadpoles emails the report every day (if I forget to check a child out it automatically sends later in the evening). I also didn't like that Brightwheel could be checked any time, sometimes I don't update until nap time and I don't want a parent wondering if I ever changed Sally's diaper since its 11am and I didn't put it on the report yet.
jenboo 11:12 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
CC payments, yes. Have parents set it up from their checking or savings account. My payment options are Brightwheel autopay or cash.

The calendar is right on the home screen If you can't find it, don't use the app, go online. All of my vacation days, dr appts, class parties are in there. If I want to send a reminder, I do a quick Brightwheel note to everyone to check the calendar
How have i not discovered the calendar??? I'm going to go look for it now
Unregistered 04:31 PM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If the parent isn't really interested, you can put it on a neon billboard addressed specifically to them and they still won't read it.
I've done this actually lol, it was all in jest, but it got my point across! lol
Originally Posted by onebzmom:
I have a white board that I write important reminders or other last min stuff that might need to be seen at the moment.
Same here, reminders are written on our "parent board"

Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I am using Tadpoles over Brightwheel because I like that Tadpoles emails the report every day
I looked into Tadpoles, but it was only for apple :P Which I don't have!

Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Every parent I've had loves the daily reports, and it's actually come in VERY handy in the past. It also eases the first time parent issues :P

I guess I just have to deal with it if they don't check. I did let them know ALL communication will be made through brightwheel from now on (not even text, I like that brightwheel will keep a list of all messages just incase my phone goes wonky and I loose past texts) If they miss important info I guess it's on them. I believe most if not all of them will check it (one parent can't get it loaded on her phone currently) I'm tempted to wait a few months and then put a note during the day that says "show me this note to get $10 off your next bill!" and see who actually reads it lol.
Pandaluver21 09:26 PM 10-12-2016
Oops, last post was me... guess I forgot to log in :P
Nurse Jackie 09:24 AM 10-13-2016
I use brightwheel also and love it but have never used it for payment. How long does it take for payment to reach your checking account?
jenboo 09:38 AM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Nurse Jackie:
I use brightwheel also and love it but have never used it for payment. How long does it take for payment to reach your checking account?
2 days after the initial payment. That one takes longer. Tuition is due Friday by closing. All families using brightwheel must send their payment on wednesday by closing so that i get it in time.
Nurse Jackie 09:54 AM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
2 days after the initial payment. That one takes longer. Tuition is due Friday by closing. All families using brightwheel must send their payment on wednesday by closing so that i get it in time.
Thanks Jenboo.
midaycare 10:37 AM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I send invoices out on Sunday, and dcfs have to pay it by Monday. I have the money by Wednesday for that week. If the invoice isn't paid, you can't come.
Reply Up