Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newspaper Ads or Lawn Signs or Stick with Free Internet Ads?
DaisyMamma 10:51 AM 07-23-2012
I'm really pinching pennies here and need to know what you guys would do.

I can't get clients if I don't advertise. I can't pay bills if I pay for advertisements I'm down to two paying families now. It is not enough to cover monthly bills.
I'm thinking of selling our xbox to pay for these ads below, seeing as no one ever uses it.

I can get 5 lawn signs for $75 (or 2 lawn signs for $55)
I can get a 4-line ad in local paper for $50 for 4 weeks (single weeks are $22)

Do you get much response from newspaper line ads?

I get most of my responses through internet searches (but all I do is free internet ads), but I feel like I'm missing out on those who don't use the internet much.

I can put the lawn signs around town, although, it's hard to say how long they will last. Last year most lasted one week, the others two weeks, before the town took them down (or maybe it was my competition!)

thanks guys.
Crazy8 11:15 AM 07-23-2012
I only placed one ad in the paper and it was 10 years ago - it was expensive and I got one call from it. Never tried it again.

I would probably go with the lawn signs. I have thought of doing them too but I am always afraid of drawing the "crazies" to my house - I don't ever tell anyone my address until they are coming for an interview.
Truly Scrumptious 11:31 AM 07-23-2012
I would not do a newspaper ad. Seems like all the crazy people call.

I knew a provider once that made herself some flyers on her computer and went around shopping areas and left them on the windsheilds of cars with carseats inside.

Sign in the yard would be fine if your house is in a high traffic area.
Sugar Magnolia 11:33 AM 07-23-2012
Newspaper is a huge waste of money!!!!! I got zero calls, never again.
lil angels 12:47 PM 07-23-2012
I have had lots of calls from a sign that I have on the side of my deck. I live on a corner lot so lots of people see us playing in the yard when they drive by. I have also hung lots of signs in banks, churches,ect. I would save the money also try vista print. You can often get signs, car magnets, address labels for free you just have to pay shipping.
Meeko 12:49 PM 07-23-2012
I'm in the yellow pages. $18.50 a month (which is tax deductible) Keep full all the time and most often have a waiting list. I get calls daily. I gave up with the paper etc. and have never looked back.

I would rather answer the phone 10 times during the day to say "No openings" than struggle with vacancies. Love me some Yellow pages
DaisyMamma 01:08 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I'm in the yellow pages. $18.50 a month (which is tax deductible) Keep full all the time and most often have a waiting list. I get calls daily. I gave up with the paper etc. and have never looked back.

I would rather answer the phone 10 times during the day to say "No openings" than struggle with vacancies. Love me some Yellow pages
Interesting. I've never given much thought to yellow pages, thinking it was obsolete. I'll make some calls tomorrow.
Meeko 01:27 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Interesting. I've never given much thought to yellow pages, thinking it was obsolete. I'll make some calls tomorrow.
Not sure if it's the same nationwide...but being in the yellow pages here also means being on Dex Online when people make a search for day care in the area. People find me from the yellow pages, or online.

My listing is just their lowest priced one. A good friend ran a large day care here in town and she discovered over the years that a big ad didn't bring in any more business. People who are looking for care go down the list regardless of ad size.
Crazy8 02:07 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I throw my yellow pages books away right after I get them - that's what I have google for, LOL!!
DaisyMamma 05:23 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I throw my yellow pages books away right after I get them - that's what I have google for, LOL!!
Same here.
SilverSabre25 05:46 PM 07-23-2012
I would stick with the free ads, and maybe make yourself a lawn sign for your front yard. I would do that, but we don't live in an area conducive to that kind of advertising!
jojosmommy 07:18 PM 07-23-2012
Offer your families a $50 referral credit if someone they refer signs and starts. Only costs you money if you actually land a client.

Print business cards and offer them to those who will pass your name on to others.

Do you do back up care for anyone? I have gotten lots of clients who come while their provider is on vaca or they just need an emergency day.

Do you have a local referral agency or family daycare group? We have both here, both are awesome for posting free ads.

I would do a yard sign in your own yard. Make one from Menards. Buy the yard sign material and the letters or stencils, then spray paint on your daycare info and number. I made one last year, looked awesome cost $20. I put it out only when I really need kids. Plus its in my own yard so nobody can take it down.
Country Kids 07:51 AM 07-24-2012
One thing I did was put my business name/phone number on my checks. That created alot of interest. Then when someone was really interested I could just hand them a business call and ask them to call me.
Atroya 08:44 AM 07-24-2012
I buy blank signs and then get 3" letters and numbers and make my own yard signs. Cheaper than ordering custom ones. I put them on busy corners with a lot of traffic. I am in a small town though. I have had quite a few calls where people say they saw my sign.
brookeroo 11:49 AM 07-24-2012
I had an Ad in the paper for a week in March. It cost me almost $40.00... not one call...and I was the only daycare ad listed for that entire week.

I have gotten more hits from anything off of Craigslist. I recommend not putting your rates in your advertisement though.

Street signs.... I had one. It actually worked really well however someone stole it. Frustrating for how much money I dumped in it. I made it look really nice so I had spent a lot of time on it as well. I may do it again but I'll wait and see...
originalkat 05:51 PM 07-24-2012
Check around for sign prices. That seem s very expensive. I got 50 signs for $200. But I would go with the signs before the newspaper.
DaisyMamma 06:16 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Check around for sign prices. That seem s very expensive. I got 50 signs for $200. But I would go with the signs before the newspaper.
That's a great deal!
jenheu2006 06:47 PM 07-24-2012
As a parent I look in the phone book, pick the ones in my area, and then drive around and check them out, and usually I find one or two that werent in the phone book but noticed their sign in the yard. That is what I do, so either way you will get noticed.
texascare 06:09 AM 07-25-2012
Vista print. You can get business card and supplies very inexpensive. Also you can get a car magnet pretty cheap there too! Put your business cards out at any restraint that has a bulletin board and also put them on or around the diapers at the store. Call any centers and let them know you will take any kids they don't have room for. I have a center that refers all babies to me since they don't take babies. Word of mouth is the BEST way. You can even call schools and let them know. Just take them a flyer or card, and you could do after schoolers.
brookeroo 06:35 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by originalkat:
You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a metal realtor type frame for about $15 and and they have boards that you can interchange in them for around $5.00. You can decorate them and make them look however you want.

I had bought vinyl decals for the lettering which is why mine was so expensive initially. It looked real nice and was easy to read. I think next time I'm just going to use stencils and paint....just in case I have to replace it again.
Tags:advertising ideas
Reply Up