Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Parents Are Coming
Thriftylady 02:28 PM 02-20-2015
I need something to fill the last bit of my kiddos days. You know that time when we have picked up and parents will be here soon so we don't want to make a mess. I keep finding myself saying, "no don't get that out" or "we can't play that right now". I need a few ideas. What do you all do during that time?
daycare 02:32 PM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I need something to fill the last bit of my kiddos days. You know that time when we have picked up and parents will be here soon so we don't want to make a mess. I keep finding myself saying, "no don't get that out" or "we can't play that right now". I need a few ideas. What do you all do during that time?
do you work on contracted times set and you know each day what time your kids get picked up?
daycare 02:32 PM 02-20-2015
my pick ups all start right around 500pm so right at 450, we all dance until the very last pick up. no toys to clean up or put away and it's great exercise. As soon as that last parent arrives, I have my vacuum out ready to fire up. I turn off the music, get dck to the magic carpet, have them put shoes on and as soon as the knock takes place, I open the door and walk over to my vacuum and get busy.

I don't talk to them or do anything but stay busy. Unless I really need to talk with them or they with me
Josiegirl 02:41 PM 02-20-2015
You could read stories. Each child picks one book. That way you won't have a huge mess to contend with.
Something we did this week which was a big hit....I have a paper bag filled with slips of paper. Dcks took turns picking a paper out and everybody would have to do that activity. Everything from hopping on one foot, counting to 10, sing a song together, shake hands; the activities depend on the dcks' ages. But one a.m. this week was so darn cold and I really didn't want to turn on the Wiggles for dancing(which was what they wanted to do), so we did that. The kids loved it! No mess and easy enough to end in an instant.
Thriftylady 02:53 PM 02-20-2015
Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming! In this restart I am trying to do things different. Before when I did home daycare, I always had a mess to pick up after they left, I'm getting to old for all that now.
daycare 02:58 PM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming! In this restart I am trying to do things different. Before when I did home daycare, I always had a mess to pick up after they left, I'm getting to old for all that now.
I NEVER have a mess to clean up. BUT I work on contracted hours, so I know exactly when parents are coming to pick up. Some like to pick up early, but I tell them please text me if you do so that I dont' have your child in the middle of a painting project when you get here and then we need to take another 10minutes having to wash them up.

Another thing we also do is read, I just keep reading until everyone is gone. BUT then I get those kids who want to stay and here the rest of the story and I end up with a bunch of parents and kids accumulating in the DC....no thanks

so far dancing has been my favorite option at the end of the day. I even have a good-bye rap song that I play when I really really just want to be done....lol
Lianne 03:13 PM 02-20-2015
Create a pick up time bucket. Use a tote/bucket of your choosing and add a few toys or activities that are quick to tidy up. Keep those activities in the bucket and bring it out only at pick up time.

You could include :
a few books
mini magnadoodles or etchasketch
a few cars
maybe a set of matching cards
a couple baby toys if you have young ones
a couple puppets
a canister whose lid had holes in it with pompoms or pipecleaners
a barrel of monkeys
Go fish game if you have bigger kids

Rotate the toys occassionally
Ariana 03:55 PM 02-20-2015
I'm not sure if it's possible for you but I bring my kids into my living room where there are books and lego. They play quietly there until pickup. When I worked at a centre I would get everyone to sit in a circle and I would ask for a subject and I'd make up a story. The kids would be riveted! I have also done a small obstacle course where each kid takes a turn to pass the time and we cheer them on. It's pretty easy to do!
Rockgirl 03:58 PM 02-20-2015
I don't do contracted hours....they pick up anywhere from 3:30-5:30. At 5:00, we all pick up everything, then I get out one activity, and everyone does it on one big rug. Usually wooden blocks, gears, a floor puzzle--things like that.
ColorfulSunburst 06:50 PM 02-20-2015
I ask the parents give me a phone call 10-15 minutes before they come here. During this time a child cleans up everything after himself, changes his shoos and puts a coat on.
Because of that I allow children to play with everything they want to.
e.j. 04:10 PM 02-21-2015
If there's any extra time at the end of the day, I have my dc kids play a game, use my file folder games, "read" books, color a picture with crayons or do a puzzle at the kitchen table. Since the activities are limited and done at the table, there isn't a huge mess to pick up at the end of the day.
originalkat 06:58 PM 02-21-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I don't do contracted hours....they pick up anywhere from 3:30-5:30. At 5:00, we all pick up everything, then I get out one activity, and everyone does it on one big rug. Usually wooden blocks, gears, a floor puzzle--things like that.
This is what we do too. We get everything picked up at 4:45 pm and then do one activity together.
Reply Up