Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Question, For Anyone Here - Day or Off Hours Care?
Mike 07:49 AM 04-22-2016
I am going to be doing child care in the next few months, but I'm thinking about 2 different directions. The one I go will probably be more of a "how it all goes" thing, but I'm considering offering off hours care rather than full time daycare. Here are my plans in more detail.

I'm currently unemployed because home renovations died just before Christmas and it's usually back to full time by now, but I made the decision that I'm done with that. I know I want to do child care because I've done a lot of work with children; being in charge of our Sunday School bus for 3 years, a Sunday School teacher assistant for a few months, a lot of tutoring, a lot of babysitting for as long as 5 days straight, and a few other things. There is no need for child care in my area. 2 summers ago I bought a lot of stuff I will be needing from home daycares that closed. I'm planning on moving to a bigger city, but not Toronto.

I'm going to get a job in another city, rent an apartment for a few months, save a bit and look for a house that has a good sized yard, probably just outside of the city. Once I find a house, start advertising for occasional evening or weekend care while keeping my job and working on woodworking. Once I can afford to quit the job, my income will be woodworking and child care.

My 2 different directions...

Either do mainly woodworking and continue with off hours care, or switch to full time care and do part time woodworking, as finances require and time permits. Which way I go will probably be affected by how each one goes, but I need to decide which way I would rather go to know what to put more emphasis on.

All of you providing or looking for child care, do you think daycare or off hours care would be the most likely way to go, and why? Is it harder for parents to find evening and weekend care, or do family and friends usually do that?
Tags:child care, daycare, evenings, full time, part time, weekends
Up