Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Amber Necklace
lovemykidstoo 06:04 AM 12-12-2017
I know that I posted nearly the same thing a couple of years ago, but since it's been that long I thought I'd get new opinions on the matter. I had 2 years ago, a dcb that wore an amber necklace. Today, I had a dcg show up with one. She's just over a year old and the necklace is quite large on her. She's very tiny. The necklace fits me if I were to wear it as a choker, that's how big it is on her. I didn't notice it until after mom left, so I took it off. I feel like it's way too big on her and too much of a choking hazard. What are your thoughts?
Play Care 06:30 AM 12-12-2017
I do not allow any jewelry so I would take it off and put it up until pick up and let the parents know it couldn't come back.
Wasn't there a case a couple of years ago where an infant was strangled by one while they slept?
Play Care 06:40 AM 12-12-2017
https://www.momtricks.com/babies/dan...ing-necklaces/

This is what I pulled up. It's a mommy blog but the information is good.
hwichlaz 07:31 AM 12-12-2017
Most of my kids here wear them. I check to make sure they are the kind with the break away clasp, and that they are short enough that the kids can’t get them in their mouths.

They aren’t a choking hazzard unless the child removes the necklace and puts the entire thing in their mouth. There is a knot between every bead to keep it on the strand. The issue is kids biting beads off, which is why they need to fit properly.
jenboo 07:35 AM 12-12-2017
If they can get it into their mouth, i take it off.
LysesKids 07:37 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Most of my kids here wear them. I check to make sure they are the kind with the break away clasp, and that they are short enough that the kids can’t get them in their mouths.

They aren’t a choking hazzard unless the child removes the necklace and puts the entire thing in their mouth. There is a knot between every bead to keep it on the strand. The issue is kids biting beads off, which is why they need to fit properly.
THIS... all mine that wear them have the breakaway clasp too
lovemykidstoo 07:42 AM 12-12-2017
This one is long enough for it to get twisted and choke her imo. If you can imagine you yourself wearing an 18" necklace. That's where hers falls on her.
lovemykidstoo 07:42 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
THIS... all mine that wear them have the breakaway clasp too
How can you tell if it's a breakaway clasp?
Annalee 07:44 AM 12-12-2017
Licensing doesn't allow them here.....
lovemykidstoo 07:49 AM 12-12-2017
This is my dcg. See how long it is?
Attached: necklace.jpg (74.6 KB) 
lovemykidstoo 07:51 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Do you know if that's in writing somewhere for your state? I'd like to post it on my DC FB page.
Pestle 08:07 AM 12-12-2017
I just take them off immediately after drop off and put them with the child's things. Nobody's made a fuss about it.
storybookending 08:19 AM 12-12-2017
That is pretty long. I would remove. Isn’t the point of them that they are supposed to be in contact with the skin? Can’t have that if it’s long enough to hang over her shirt.

I have a cousin in another state that swear by them. I never knew what they were even until I finally asked what that ugly necklace her daughter had on in every single picture was for.. that child is 5 now.
Annalee 08:20 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Do you know if that's in writing somewhere for your state? I'd like to post it on my DC FB page.
It was in a memo through email. I will see if i still have it. It refers to all necklaces as a choking hazard but the amber necklace was listed specifically.
Annalee 08:25 AM 12-12-2017
Copied and pasted from group email in 2014.

It has been brought to our attention that Teething Necklaces are a safety hazard.

According to all mfg instructions we’ve researched, these require 1:1 supervision, and we consider them a safety hazard.

So, if you have these please get rid of them.

Thanks!!
lovemykidstoo 08:27 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
That is pretty long. I would remove. Isn’t the point of them that they are supposed to be in contact with the skin? Can’t have that if it’s long enough to hang over her shirt.

I have a cousin in another state that swear by them. I never knew what they were even until I finally asked what that ugly necklace her daughter had on in every single picture was for.. that child is 5 now.
Yea i can almost lift it straight off her head without unhooking.

That's funny you almost asked what the ugly necklace was lol
Cat Herder 08:29 AM 12-12-2017
"What are your thoughts?"

No.

Just no.
Ariana 08:49 AM 12-12-2017
Hate these things! I indulged a mom once but had to remove it for sleep all the time. So annoying. If the child had been here every day I woukd say no way.
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 12-12-2017
There is enough liability in child care as it is.
Why add more?
Pestle 09:22 AM 12-12-2017
It bothers me that people either neglect their kids' real medical needs or add something unnecessary that's dangerous. Like, why should I have to check to see if you've strapped a cord around your child's neck?

I had one family who kept a pink salt lamp in their toddler's bedroom (he used it as a salt lick. . . it was all melted), and somebody told me that my kid's peanut allergy was due to vaccinating her and I should cure it with colloidal silver. Non-religious people call the "alternative" practices woo but I've just started calling it witchcraft for the shock value.
lovemykidstoo 09:46 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
It bothers me that people either neglect their kids' real medical needs or add something unnecessary that's dangerous. Like, why should I have to check to see if you've strapped a cord around your child's neck?

I had one family who kept a pink salt lamp in their toddler's bedroom (he used it as a salt lick. . . it was all melted), and somebody told me that my kid's peanut allergy was due to vaccinating her and I should cure it with colloidal silver. Non-religious people call the "alternative" practices woo but I've just started calling it witchcraft for the shock value.

That's funny, that's almost exactly what my husband said about having a cord around the neck. I mean seriously what are people thinking? The thing is, if she truly thinks amber necklaces help, then why would you have it hanging on the outside of her shirt like a regular necklace? IMO that's just stupid.

I can't believe your story about the dcb that licked the salt lamp. Good God!!! Unbelievable.
LysesKids 09:49 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
True but I'm legally licensed exempt...
hwichlaz 09:50 AM 12-12-2017
I use two of them on myself, and they do work. But if you’re not comfortable with them, or your regs are against it, that’s fine too.

When my daughter outgrew the need I started wearing them as bracelets in the winter to help with my arthritis....and they totally work.
Annalee 09:52 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is enough liability in child care as it is.
Why add more?
AMEN to this!
LysesKids 09:52 AM 12-12-2017
This is my dcg. See how long it is?
Oh hell no... none of mine are anywhere near that... in fact one wears an Amber bracelet on his ankle. Not one of my babes has ever played with theirs in all the years of done baby care
lovemykidstoo 09:53 AM 12-12-2017
Oh did I mention that this little darling is the one that her mother talked to my other dcg about her giving her a cold? Some may remember that post about parents blaming other children for their illness.
lovemykidstoo 09:53 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Oh hell no... none of mine are anywhere near that... in fact one wears an Amber bracelet on his ankle. Not one of my babes has ever played with theirs in all the years of done baby care
I would be fine with an anklet. I'm not so much worried about her choking on the beads, but rather this becoming a noose.
lovemykidstoo 09:55 AM 12-12-2017
I use two of them on myself, and they do work. But if you’re not comfortable with them, or your regs are against it, that’s fine too.

When my daughter outgrew the need I started wearing them as bracelets in the winter to help with my arthritis....and they totally work.
Did you notice the picture of her though I posted above? It's way too long and it's not even touching her skin. Doesn't it have to touch her skin to work?
hwichlaz 09:56 AM 12-12-2017
Did you notice the picture of her though I posted above? It's way too long and it's not even touching her skin. Doesn't it have to touch her skin to work?
Yes it does. I don’t allow them if they are big enough to put in their mouths while wearing.
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 12-12-2017

I think that is the key.

You have to really believe they do work.

Same for essential oils.
Those that use them truly believe they work for them and they probably do.

Kind of like religion and prayer.
Those that believe prayer works, truly believe in it.

Our minds are very powerful....
hwichlaz 07:32 AM 12-13-2017
I think that is the key.

You have to really believe they do work.

Same for essential oils.
Those that use them truly believe they work for them and they probably do.

Kind of like religion and prayer.
Those that believe prayer works, truly believe in it.

Our minds are very powerful....
I didn’t have any feelings on them one way or the other. They were a gift from a daycare parent for my kids and I love the “bohemian” look...they are really cute. I tried them myself to see if they really worked. I have debilitating arthritis in winter, my hands actually start curling in. These do help. Fewer steroids and narcotics.
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 12-13-2017
I found this from a newletter earlier in the year... so in MN we can NOT allow them for sleeping and are not recommended for children in child care.
They fall into the same category as bibs.
Attached: Amber Teething Necklaces.jpg (81.2 KB) 
lovemykidstoo 07:40 AM 12-13-2017
I found this from a newletter earlier in the year... so in MN we can NOT allow them for sleeping and are not recommended for children in child care.
They fall into the same category as bibs.
Thank you. I took it off her and put it on the hook by the door. I forgot to send it home with her and she doesnt' come back until tomorrow, but I haven't received any text about it from mom yet. Dad picked up yesterday. When I see her tomorrow I'm going to hand it to her and tell her that I'm not allowed to have her wear it here. I had another one come today with one too (their friends) and I took his off too.
Tags:strangulation risk, teething necklaces
Reply Up