Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Favorite Boy Toys...Preschool Age
SunflowerMama 07:31 AM 06-28-2010
So I have 6 girls in care and 1 lonely boy. I just got the girls a HUGE lot of barbies and clothing this weekend off craigslist and my poor boy is playing a lot by himself today.

I have one small train track wth about 7 cars that he really enjoys but other than that he's usually talked into playing house with the girls (every game of house needs a Daddy).

I only have girls myself so don't know what kind of toys he may really enjoy but I'd love to get him a few things off craigslist so he can feel special too.

For those with toddler age boys (3-5) what are their favorite toys to play with?

Thanks so much!!
Childminder 07:37 AM 06-28-2010
Legos, action figures(Mario is big right now), anything outside, hammering( mine use regular hammer and nails), bugs and toads and buckets and grass.
Crystal 07:39 AM 06-28-2010
lol! My boys LOVE the kitchen set! BUT, they also love blocks with animals and vehicles, duplos, and superhero play.

If he is into superhero play at all, you can qucikly make him a cape.....take an old tshirt....preferably a larger one, cut a slit right up the front, without cutting into the neckline, cut out about 1/2 inch of fabric on each side of the slit and remove it. Put on over head and he has a cape. Give him some papertowel tubes and let his imagination go.....
sahm2three 07:39 AM 06-28-2010
Action figures are HUGE in our house (GI Joes, Star Wars, Ben 10, Toy Story, anything like that). Matchbox cars too. Dress up stuff is popular. Legos. OMGosh, Legos are great for hours of fun!
SunflowerMama 07:54 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Action figures are HUGE in our house (GI Joes, Star Wars, Ben 10, Toy Story, anything like that). Matchbox cars too. Dress up stuff is popular. Legos. OMGosh, Legos are great for hours of fun!
We have tons of the bigger legos but he just doesn't seem interested, and the same thing with matchbox cars. Maybe I'll get some of the smaller regular size legos. He loves the kitchen but also loves playing train with everyone. Maybe I could try some action figures and some more train stuff.
gbcc 09:25 AM 06-28-2010
Legos and cars are big here. If there is only one boy though he tends to join in with the girls and play kitchen and barbies! He doen't seem to mind lol!
originalkat 10:11 AM 06-28-2010
I have 5 girls and only 1 boy as well. They all play with the same things...
Blocks
cars
Duplo Blocks
Trains
Kitchen set
Books
People (From Lakeshore Learning) (I put a picture below)THESE ARE A FAVORITE OF ALL THE KIDS
Dinosaurs
Animals
Mega Blocks
Mr.potato Head

booroo 10:19 AM 06-28-2010
We have a farm set that my 2 year old loves.... Thomas the train, water and sand table, he loves it, in the winter I bring it and put rice in it... Playdoh... Construction set, oh how he loves that... Also rescue hero by fisher price.... Lots of fun stuff with that.... And I mean lots...there's action men, police cars, fire trucks, ship, motorcycles, all kinds of stuff for the boys to use there imagaination with!!
nannyde 10:41 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
So I have 6 girls in care and 1 lonely boy. I just got the girls a HUGE lot of barbies and clothing this weekend off craigslist and my poor boy is playing a lot by himself today.

I have one small train track wth about 7 cars that he really enjoys but other than that he's usually talked into playing house with the girls (every game of house needs a Daddy).

I only have girls myself so don't know what kind of toys he may really enjoy but I'd love to get him a few things off craigslist so he can feel special too.

For those with toddler age boys (3-5) what are their favorite toys to play with?

Thanks so much!!
I don't have "boy" "girl" toys. My kids play equally regardless of who the toy is geared to.

He wouldn't happen to have Thomas The Tank Engine stuff at home would he? I've had a couple of boys who were addicted to Thomas and could not independently play with anything else. That's happened three/four times in the last ten years.
SunflowerMama 10:47 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't have "boy" "girl" toys. My kids play equally regardless of who the toy is geared to.

He wouldn't happen to have Thomas The Tank Engine stuff at home would he? I've had a couple of boys who were addicted to Thomas and could not independently play with anything else. That's happened three/four times in the last ten years.
I don't have boy/girl toys either and they all play with the kitchen, blocks, dress up, etc. the same. I was just tring to see if maybe there was something I was forgetting about that might draw the attention of a 4 year old boy since he's not a fan of playing barbies with the girls and the girls just received a huge new lot of barbie items. Great ideas everyone! Thanks!
GretasLittleFriends 10:52 AM 06-28-2010
I have mostly boys here and 2 girls (one is 2 and one is 6). I have a lot of little people sets that get rotated in and out. I have a carnival, a castle, a farm, Noah's Ark, "the city" (cars, parking ramp, air planes...). Those are gender neutral but the boys love them. I also have Lincoln logs (and/or the knock off version) in a huge tub. The boys also like playing dress up (pirates, construction, Davy Crocket/explorer.) Of course some times I'll find them with the girl dress up stuff the jewelry, purses and such. I have a few boys that have seen bits and pieces of "The Lord of the Rings" so of course the jewelry is turned into "the ring of power". The purses are usually full of cars and other boyish things.

They like to color and do art projects.

Over all though, their favorite is to go out side, run around and scream at the top of their lungs. I live in the country and nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, so I don't mind them screaming and yelling outside.

Oh, and bubbles are a big hit too, or anything really to do with water.
sahm2three 11:56 AM 06-28-2010
We have tons of Polly Pocket stuff too (my daughter has outgrown it but the daycare kids LOVE it!) and the boys play with the girls with these. But again, the boy Polly's are like action figures. Also, all the kids love Little People. Over the years of my three kids I have accumilated a TON of them, houses, towns, trains, all kids of stuff. And enough people for EVERYONE to play and have a couple people. Babies and the pay kitchen are a hit too. But really, the boys spend a ton of time on the legos and the dress up mostly.
DCMom 11:59 AM 06-28-2010
The little people sets and matchbox cars are the favorite here. Mixed with the Lincoln Logs, maple blocks and duplos the stuff they come up with is quite interesting!

I have 1-2yo, 2-3yo, 2-4yo, and 1-5yo boys and they love the kitchen stuff and the dolls too. When they play with them, instead of playing 'house' they play 'restaurant' or 'camping', where the girls play 'daycare' and 'shopping'. All with the same toys, kinda funny
diane21 02:33 AM 03-01-2011
As a kid my favorite toys was :
Blokus Classic Game and polyhedrons

--------------------
Science sets
Unregistered 10:59 AM 03-01-2011
This is Missani. I've tried 6 times to log in, but it won't let me.

Anyway, I have two 4 yr. old boys and the really enjoy Tinker Toys (every day), bristle blocks, Lincoln Logs, and Mr. Potato Heads. They mostly play with these all day-big hits with the boys and the girls.
Tags:pre school, toys for boys
Reply Up