Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Man This Is Getting Expensive!
rjskids 02:19 PM 04-27-2011
As you all know, I will be a new provider soon and so far IT'S EXPENSIVE! I thought I had a good headstart by having plenty of baby stuff already but needing to buy tables/chairs, baby gates, toys, storage units, art supplies etc. I am literally breaking the bank! How did you guys get started on a low budget?
Meyou 02:33 PM 04-27-2011
Kijiji and yard sales mostly. I buy as I go and resell what I have now when I find an upgrade.
daycare 02:42 PM 04-27-2011
ditto....garagesales, free cycle, craigs list and clearance... I also bought as i made money so not a lot of out of pocket to start
PitterPatter 02:50 PM 04-27-2011
I got started easy because I have a child of my own and couldn't bring myself to let go of anything of his so, I was ready for a newborn up to 4 when I started. I did go buy some new items and still do every season but it was easy for me in the beginning because I already had 99% of what I needed. I just had to open my door.

Another thing I do is flea markets. I use my son to have a kids eye view. I hand him $20 and tell him to stock the daycare. Sometimes he just can't help but get things for himself as well.
Symphony 02:51 PM 04-27-2011
I remember feeling the same way at start up. Fire extinguishers, changing pads, first aid kits that are practicually an ER in a box! It gets better! I am a garage sale queen now, but the initial stuff was tough!
youretooloud 02:52 PM 04-27-2011
Yep. Garage sales are awesome!

Depending on where you live, there should be some good garage sales coming up.

I got started with LOTS of donations from my Mom's friends at church. I still have a huge box of Duplos that are at least 30 years old.

You NEED nap mats... but, you can get the really cheap ones from Walmart for now, and buy some better ones at Discount school supplies in a year or so. You NEED a high chair if you have little ones, and you NEED beds for babies. Otherwise, there are lots of ways to provide arts and crafts on a very low budget.
youretooloud 02:52 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
I remember feeling the same way at start up. Fire extinguishers, changing pads, first aid kits that are practicually an ER in a box! It gets better! I am a garage sale queen now, but the initial stuff was tough!
LOL.. I forgot about those things. Ugh.. it is expensive!
nannyde 03:02 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I got started easy because I have a child of my own and couldn't bring myself to let go of anything of his so, I was ready for a newborn up to 4 when I started. I did go buy some new items and still do every season but it was easy for me in the beginning because I already had 99% of what I needed. I just had to open my door.
This is such an important post because it answers why there are SO many providers saturating the market. What other work from home job could you do that required such a small amount of start up?

The average provider starts child care when the second child is born because they can't make enough money to pay for two in care. By the time the second one comes they have the majority of the essentials already purchased to start up the business.

Most States require very little education and training also. In my State you can still be unregistered and don't need anything but be the age of 18 or older.

Whenever you have a business that is SO easy to start up you will have a ton of people doing it especially in tough economic times.
PitterPatter 03:17 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
This is such an important post because it answers why there are SO many providers saturating the market. What other work from home job could you do that required such a small amount of start up?

The average provider starts child care when the second child is born because they can't make enough money to pay for two in care. By the time the second one comes they have the majority of the essentials already purchased to start up the business.

Most States require very little education and training also. In my State you can still be unregistered and don't need anything but be the age of 18 or older.

Whenever you have a business that is SO easy to start up you will have a ton of people doing it especially in tough economic times.
ITA! AND it also gives people the reason to say things like "Those who can't, do daycare." This is also part of the reason I hate being called a babysitter. I am not a babysitter. To me anyone can sit and watch a baby/child. I take pride in what I do and try to educate myself to stay on top and learn all of the new techniques. I not only do the required amount of training /classes I do more simply because things are always changing and there is always new information out there.

Nanny is right about a person needing minimal education to start a daycare. However in my state you do have to be registered to have state paid clients. I know there are daycares out there with private pay and no Reg tho. I started mine because I was afraid to send my young child to daycare. I don't trust anyone these days! I think those people who take if for an easy out fail within a couple years. I have been doing this for over 5 years now and I admit I still don't know all there is to know and probably never will.

Part of the reason I came here and joined the forum is to learn from a new angle other than class. So many new ideas, so much support and the different experiences shared can give me a heads up before a situation even arises. Anyway babbling now but u get my point, I hope.
Abigail 05:51 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by rjskids:
As you all know, I will be a new provider soon and so far IT'S EXPENSIVE! I thought I had a good headstart by having plenty of baby stuff already but needing to buy tables/chairs, baby gates, toys, storage units, art supplies etc. I am literally breaking the bank! How did you guys get started on a low budget?
When will you open your doors? Are you accepting all ages or just toddlers + to avoid all the baby furniture items? I'm guessing you went on "toy overload" for preparationg instead of the long-term large items? Just make sure you're saving all your receipts and keeping good records for tax time.

I would literally sit down and write out a neccessities list, then a want list. What must you have right away (pnp, sleeping mat, diaper changing station, coat hooks/cubby baskets, table w/child size chairs/boosters) and then create your want list of things you don't really need immediately, but would like. Keep an eye out for the things you need now and just start basic and upgrade. You could find a used picnic table at a rummage sale temporarily or buy one new and when you upgrade to a real table use the picnic table for outside play or dramatic play.

You can also go to a used furniture store and buy a basic rectangle table and saw off the bottom of the legs to make it shorter as well! Make a day of thrift shopping for yourself and CL surfing. Don't worry about art supplies, etc. All you need are books and a few toys and you can be creative as you go.
SandeeAR 09:18 AM 04-28-2011
I"ve posted this link before. I'm not sure where you live, but this is the BEST place to shop for kids stuff, if you have one in your area.

http://rhealana.com/

I bought a boppie pilow with cover, great condition, $5. Booster seats $5-6, exersaucers for $20. You can buy a ton of toys cheap. Most are $1-$5.

If all the cities around me weren't taken for sales already, I would consider starting one. The last one I attended, I had early passes to. When the door opened for the regular shoppers, there were easily 150 ppl in line.
cheerfuldom 09:36 AM 04-28-2011
I don't buy new for daycare (well maybe one or two items in the history of my daycare). Craigslist, garage sales, resale shops, etc, etc. are the way to go! don't overestimate what you need for toys either. Its just more for them to fight over and for you to clean up. I don't have anything with multiple small pieces for this reason. I also purge toys regularly and rotate stuff in and out of the play area so all of a sudden, the same play kitchen is magically interesting again.
youretooloud 09:48 AM 04-28-2011
http://hippobargains.com/blog/category/daily-deals/

This is a daily deal site. Sometimes they have puzzles, or toys. But, you have to watch it every single day. You can't get a previous day's sale the next day.
Tags:expenses, start up cost
Reply Up