Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>People That Refer To Differently Than What U Really R
Unregistered 01:07 PM 05-25-2015
Has anyone ever referred to u as a play school and not a preschool???? It REALLY erks me when people refer to us as a "playschool". I usually ignore it and go on!!!!
Controlled Chaos 02:30 PM 05-25-2015
I sort of like "play school" It better describes my program
lblanke 02:37 PM 05-25-2015
Maybe their kids watch a lot of Caillou. He goes to "playschool."
spedmommy4 04:02 PM 05-25-2015
Not so much. In general, I think parents just don't understand what I do all day. And I don't know much about some of their jobs so I occasionally get their titles wrong too. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't bother me. :-)
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 05-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Has anyone ever referred to u as a play school and not a preschool???? It REALLY erks me when people refer to us as a "playschool". I usually ignore it and go on!!!!
Unless you are certified as a teacher or a teacher with a degree of some kind designating your position as a teacher, you are a play school.

In my state to be a preschool teacher you must go to college and earn the degree.

Yes, I know and have heard the argument a million times that what daycare providers do is teach the kids, so therefore they ARE teachers etc etc etc etc..... but on that same note, I also provide information, support and education about healthy eating habits but don't consider myself a dietician or nutritionist. I take care of injuries and apply first aid but I am not a nurse or a doctor..... the argument goes on and on and on........
Thriftylady 04:51 PM 05-26-2015
I wouldn't mind being called a playschool. I do mind being called a "babysitter", that is what I did when I was a teenager and had far less training and experience.
Rockgirl 04:54 PM 05-26-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I sort of like "play school" It better describes my program
Me too. And it sounds fun & happy.
DaveA 04:33 AM 05-27-2015
I kind of like the term playschool. It really fits what I do.

As for what others call me, don't care. If they're not a client, they don't pay me anyway. If they are a client, I don't care what they call me as long as I get paid.
originalkat 01:31 PM 05-27-2015
I also think "playschool" it kind of cute so it wouldn't bother me. It does erk me when they make some side comment like, "I told them I needed to leave work so I can pick my kids up at the sitters."
I know they respect me and my program and don't really mean anything by it, but it is still annoying. To me it is the same thing as calling an accountant a cashier. BLAWHAHAHA!
daycarediva 03:53 PM 05-27-2015
I like and use playschool often. I am working towards my teaching degree, and many of my clients refer to my place as school/preschool and me as a teacher.
daycare 03:55 PM 05-27-2015
you can call me anything you want just follow the rules and we will always be good to go....

MV said don't call me a babysitter and I promise not to sit on your baby...lol

that is the funniest thing ever......lol
bklsmum 04:33 AM 05-28-2015
I call myself a 'playcare' so I don't mind if people refer to that but I wouldn't care either way. I know what I do and that is all that matters.
childcaremom 04:57 AM 05-28-2015
It was said already but I don't care what you call me, just pay me and follow my rules.

I understand how that can be frustrating to some, especially when we spend time and energy into creating our environments, however it isn't a touch point for me.
christine19720 10:17 AM 05-29-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
It was said already but I don't care what you call me, just pay me and follow my rules.

I understand how that can be frustrating to some, especially when we spend time and energy into creating our environments, however it isn't a touch point for me.
This!!!
And, I also refer to my program as a Playcare.
Reply Up