Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For REAL???
Lucy 01:26 PM 07-31-2012
I just had my inspection and found out that in my state, we now have to have signed written permission to apply sunscreen. Really?????? And I have to log it as if it were medicine - date, time, who, etc. Containers have to have child's name written on them and be put up. I'm all for safety, but things are getting stretched out a bit too far!!
itlw8 01:33 PM 07-31-2012
same here except we have have parents sign a waiver and have it approved to last all summer. Then we do not even have to log it.

Same with diaper cream unless we have a waiver approved it has to be treated as medicine and parents need to sign daily
Country Kids 01:34 PM 07-31-2012
I think thats been that way for awhile. I've always been told to treat it as an over the counter medicine. Thats one reason I'm not a fan of it-doing that 3 times a day for 10 kids.

Also, did they tell you not to use the aersol spray kind anymore. I have the information on that if you didn't hear about it.

We also should even have forms for doing water play since we can't do pools and such. I asked my liscensor and she said that would be the route to go.

I'm making just a section for the forms parents should sign and I think at one count it was like 10 pages!
seebachers 01:35 PM 07-31-2012
have always had to do it here.....PITA
Country Kids 01:37 PM 07-31-2012
You are allowed for children to share the same bottle of sunscreen though. Didn't they tell you that?

Let me see if I can find the info for you.
Country Kids 01:42 PM 07-31-2012
Here's the changes for registered homes. If your not registered let me know and I will get that info for you.

(9) Sunscreen is considered a non-prescription medication and may be used for child care children
under the following conditions:
(a) Providers must obtain written parental authorization prior to using sunscreen.
(b) One container of sunscreen may be used for child care children unless a parent supplies
an individual container for their child. The sunscreen shall be applied in a manner that
prevents contaminating the container.
(A) Parents must be informed of the type of product and the sun protective factor
(SPF).
(B) Parents must be given the opportunity to inspect the product and active
ingredients.
(c) If sunscreen is supplied for an individual child care child, the sunscreen must be labeled
with the child’s first and last name and must be used for only that child.
(d) Providers must reapply sunscreen every two hours while the child care children are
exposed to the sun.
(e) Providers shall use a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher.
(f) Providers shall not use aerosol sunscreens on child care children.
(g) Sunscreen shall not be used on child care children younger than six months.
(h) Child care children over six years of age may apply sunscreen to themselves under the
direct supervision of the provider or staff member.
daycarediva 02:00 PM 07-31-2012
I have to do that as well.

I never knew about the aerosol cans though! OOPS! ALL of my day care kids have them!
Heidi 02:09 PM 07-31-2012
The state added sunscreen and mosquito spray authorizations to the intake form, thank you so much Wisconsin! We no longer have to log it in the medical log either. The parents do have to indicate which brand and strength of each they'll allow, so I have them provide what they want. I label it and put it up out of reach. I think I've used each on once this year. We have a nice shady yard, and due to the dry weather, virtually no mosquitos!
Country Kids 02:24 PM 07-31-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have to do that as well.

I never knew about the aerosol cans though! OOPS! ALL of my day care kids have them!
I don't know if this would be for you as I know this was made for our state. You might see if your state has changed it.
Reply Up