Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Violence at Daycare
angela 02:19 PM 08-07-2010
Hi Im hoping to get some help with his one,
My 5 year old son is going to a summer program (daycare) Its what I thought was a great program. I dont care for the fact that there are kids going into the 7th grade allowed to attend.
Dad picked him up on Friday to find out that one of those boys going into the 7th grade, punched our son in the chest then pushed him. The teacher said that our son pushed him first, and that our son had been cranky that day.
Im not sure what that has to do with a 13 year old punching a 5 year old in the chest.
Anyway Im not sure what to do about this whole situation. We have noticed that since he has been going there he has become disrepectful and rude at home. Im wondering if he might be being bullied there.
This boy has been in trouble for physical alterccations before. Im thinking about removing our son from this program, there is only a few weeks left before school starts again.
Not sure how to address this?
nannyde 03:05 PM 08-07-2010
Can you find somewhere else for the next few weeks? This is the time that summer arrangments are falling apart. I would bet you could easily find a home provider to keep him just until school starts. Offer a good salary for a few weeks to make it worth their while. He may love being a guest in a day care for a couple of weeks and everything they have will be new to him.

Heck bring him to me for a week.

Violence is unacceptable in my day care. I don't tolerate it at all with any kid of any age. My kids don't fight at all. It's up to the Staff to set a ZERO tolerance policy for violence and inforce it.

That big of an age difference... they could really hurt him. Ask him what has been going on and names if he can. Call them and tell them NO MORE. If they have to have him near a staff memeber to protect him for the next few weeks then they need to do that.

Good luck
jen 06:41 PM 08-07-2010
Why is a 13 year old participating in a summer program?
JenNJ 05:12 AM 08-08-2010
I would pull him. A child that old could really injure your son easily. It sounds like they cannot control this older boy and dont have a strict policy.
Crystal 06:30 PM 08-08-2010
I would be seriously concerned about a 13 year old physically touching a 5 year old. I would demand that the director of the program address the situation immediately. If there are any bruises, I would take pictures and would report it t the authorities.....13 years old is MORE than old enough to understand the consequences of our actions. This "child" needs to be held accountable for his actions - it will protect any future "victims" and may prevent this "bully" from become something much more serious and dangerous.
professionalmom 08:59 AM 08-09-2010
I would definitely be asking a couple questions: Why are the older kids and younger kids together? There should be some age separation. Also, why is a 13 year old in daycare? I was babysitting (and definitely mature enough to stay home alone) at age 13. After all, this "child" is only 3 years away from driving a vehicle (in many states) and another 2 years from being an adult, capable of voting, going in the military, marrying, having children, etc. I understand that the 13 year old is still a "child" by law, but that is an age where there should be some sort of maturity in place already. Is it that this "child" is already out of control and can not be trusted? Does this child need social services to get his/her behavior under control? And if (s)he does have behavior issues, why is (s)he being allowed to participate in activities with children so much younger?

Either way, please, please, please get your child out of that facility right away and get your little 5 year old in an environment that is more tailored to 5 year olds. There are many home daycares out there. The ratio laws require that the adult to child ratios are very low which allow for more supervision. I would bet that your child is acting out because of the frustration of being around a hostile teenager and not having any control over the situation.

God Bless you and I will say a prayer for you.
jen 10:11 AM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
I understand that the 13 year old is still a "child" by law, but that is an age where there should be some sort of maturity in place already. Is it that this "child" is already out of control and can not be trusted? Does this child need social services to get his/her behavior under control? And if (s)he does have behavior issues, why is (s)he being allowed to participate in activities with children so much younger?
This is what I was thinking as well...
sking1705 06:44 PM 10-17-2012
There is a little boy (4) at my son's daycare. He has severe behavior issues. Yesterday I witnessed him repeatedly slamming another little boy's head in the toy box.Then today we pick up our son and he has 3 huge strach marks down his face. The teachers said they couldn't tell us what kid did it but it doesn't take a rocket scientist.We can not remove our son for another 8 weeks. Do we or our son have any rights when it comes to this problem? INPUT PLEASE
Thank You,
SHELLEY
Tags:program
Reply Up