Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Organics and Food Program?
SunflowerMama 04:52 AM 08-11-2010
When I first had my meeting with my food program monitor she saw organic milk on my menu and said I couldn't serve the dcks organic milk. Anyone know why? Since I'm on the lowest tier I am not reimbursed for my girls even though they eat the same meals. So I still give my girls the organic milk and then regular milk for the dcks. I do buy organic milk, eggs, cheese, some fruit and some meat so when I prepare meals for the dcks there are organic ingredients in there. Anyone know what the deal is with organic products and the food program. I would think they would encourage that if providers were willing the pay the little bit extra to buy organic.
Golden Rule 05:12 AM 08-11-2010
From my limited understanding of this issue, it is because of the elevated risk of hormone related cancers....

I was told by my ped that the risks far outweight the benefits of this product.

Maybe your information is different?

Edit... I just remembered that he also said that it was highly possible it would contribute to antibiotic resistance making your child more at risk for a "super bug" or pandemic type infection.
SunflowerMama 05:24 AM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
From my limited understanding of this issue, it is because of the elevated risk of hormone related cancers....

I was told by my ped that the risks far outweight the benefits of this product.

Maybe your information is different?

Edit... I just remembered that he also said that it was highly possible it would contribute to antibiotic resistance making your child more at risk for a "super bug" or pandemic type infection.
But one of the reasons we choose organic milk for our girls is because it's USDA Organic and therefore the cows are not treated with extra hormones or antibiotics and the cows' feed is grown without pesticides. I would think that would decrease the risk of hormone related diseases/cancer, etc.
Janet 05:30 AM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
But one of the reasons we choose organic milk for our girls is because it's USDA Organic and therefore the cows are not treated with extra hormones or antibiotics and the cows' feed is grown without pesticides. I would think that would decrease the risk of hormone related diseases/cancer, etc.
I've been able to find milk that meets my standards and it's never been a food program issue. Some stores will sell milk that is not from a cow that has added hormones or treated with antibiotics or pesticides. That was a concern for me, too.
judytrickett 05:33 AM 08-11-2010
This is true. LESS hormones and anitbiotics. For milk to be considered organic the cows must not receive any artificial or additional hormones other than what their bodies normally produce. AND, any cow that requires an antibiotic should they ill, have their milk discarded until the pharmaceutical has fully passed through their system.

Here's the thing about food programs. They are run by GOVERNMENT. And, if you know anything about how government and the food industry are intertwined it would not surprise me AT ALL if the big agriculture food guys have a hand in not allowing any reimbursable organic product as it is not produced by them.

Most truly antibiotic and hormone-free, organic dairy is produced by smaller companies who have an ethical standing AGAINST big agra. And Big agra has their hands in the pockets of the politicians and therefore uses anything they can to push down the little guy.
Vesta 05:35 AM 08-11-2010
Do you think she might have been mistakenly thinking raw or unpasteurized when she was reading organic?
Honestly, if I had this sort of issue I would just neglect to mention or write down.
On my program there isn't a place to differentiate, 1% is just 1%, an apple is just an apple, no place to check off organic or not.
Really, it's none of their business.

It's really hot and I'm really letting myself get irritated by the invasiveness of the food program so my response might be tempered by my general bad attitude at the moment.
Golden Rule 05:37 AM 08-11-2010
I have such limited understanding of the "whole/organic foods issue"..... I still flavor my green beans with bacon grease . To me it all still seems like a "fad"... so please don't think I am questioning your choice for your girls. When I asked about it (at that time parenting magazines were saying it "boosted immune systems" and RSV/Pneumonia was on the rise so I was interested) my kids were small...they are teenagers, now. I am sure organic milk has improved over the years...

It takes many years for the research to be completed so the food program is probably just sticking with what has been proven for now? Maybe in the future it will be included if it has those benefits... I will be interested to learn more.....
SunflowerMama 05:44 AM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:

Here's the thing about food programs. They are run by GOVERNMENT. And, if you know anything about how government and the food industry are intertwined it would not surprise me AT ALL if the big agriculture food guys have a hand in not allowing any reimbursable organic product as it is not produced by them.

Most truly antibiotic and hormone-free, organic dairy is produced by smaller companies who have an ethical standing AGAINST big agra. And Big agra has their hands in the pockets of the politicians and therefore uses anything they can to push down the little guy.
I completely agree with this and there are some great documentaries on this and related subjects. King Corn is one and I can't remember the name of the other. Maybe Food Matters...can't remember.
SunflowerMama 05:51 AM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by Vesta:
Do you think she might have been mistakenly thinking raw or unpasteurized when she was reading organic?
Honestly, if I had this sort of issue I would just neglect to mention or write down.
On my program there isn't a place to differentiate, 1% is just 1%, an apple is just an apple, no place to check off organic or not.

It's really hot and I'm really letting myself get irritated by the invasiveness of the food program so my response might be tempered by my general bad attitude at the moment.

I've thought of just letting it go too. Anything I bake or cook that uses milk for the dcks I always use organic and just do the regular milk for drinking (just for the food people) but I'm tempted to just go organic across the board. It is pasteurized so I don't see where there should be an issue at all.
jen 06:11 AM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by Vesta:
This is what I was thinking as well. I would double check. I'm guessing that your rep may be uninformed...
misol 06:53 AM 08-11-2010
QUOTE]Do you think she might have been mistakenly thinking raw or unpasteurized when she was reading organic? [/quote]

I think that this is probably the case. Your rep might not be familiar with what organic really is. I would call your sponsoring agency and ask a different representative. If she goves you the same answer ask her why.

Originally Posted by :
Ours doesn't specify either. I would use the organic milk if that's what you so choose. I think the milk requirement for the food program is that it has to be fluid (not powdered), pasturized, and homogenized so as long as it is you should be fine.
Tags:food program, organic food
Reply Up