Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Questions About Marketing...
MommyMuffin 04:16 PM 09-23-2010
Hi,

I need advice~
I have been advertising on craigslist, centralized mailboxes, grocery stores, still waiting for license in the mail to advertise on some sites...ect
I made a website, I joined the food program and I am an LPN. I have read many books about opening and operating a home day care including Tom Copeland's Marketing Book (very good), I am very excited about it.
Problem is I only have 1 FT and 1 PT signed up and I need 4 FT to survive finacially. I have saved a bit of money to get me through the first month or 2. I have advertised for november 1st so I need to give my job a 2 week notice in 3 weeks.
I am freaking out because I dont know what I should do? What am I doing wrong? My prices are $20 below average....
Here is my craigslist ad....let me know what I can do better:

Licensed Child Care Provider and Licensed Practical Nurse: My program meets health and safety standards.
CPR for health care proffesionals, First Aid Class with emphasis in Pediatric Emergencies, Child and Adolescent Psychology, Developmental Milestones, Infant Safety (SIDS/Shaken Baby)

- Affordable and convenient hours

- Providers Choice Food Program; I serve nutritious meals that meet quality standards.

- Energetic mother who loves children. I believe in listening to parents wants for their child.

- Daily outings, Stories, Songs, Art, Fun Activities! Everything I would want for my own children! Toddler and Preschool Program.

- I have a small group to ensure supervision and individual care.

- Fenced in yard for safe, fun outdoor games

Check out my website: ******XX
Call ******X

I am trying to stay positive but I am getting very sad. I really want this to work and I am trying my hardest and I have put quite a bit of money into it. Should I just wait 3 weeks and if I am not full then call up my parents and tell them, sorry I cant provide care you'll have to find someone else...
Or jump head in and let fate take its course and pray to be full (4FT) in 2 months...
Anyways, any constructive criticism or comments would be helpful as I am feeling very down lately...
Michael 04:27 PM 09-23-2010
I posted a PM for you.
TomCopeland 05:08 PM 09-23-2010
Starting a family child care business is not easy, particularly during tough financial times. Most providers succeed based on word of mouth so new providers have a higher challenge to be successful. In general, I think it might take you more than just a month or two to reach your enrollment goal. Have you talked with your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency about what is the parent demand in your area. Usually they will have some good ideas about how to promote your program.
Crystal 06:25 AM 09-24-2010
When I first started, I offered people I knew a discounted rate. That got me my first two clients and from them, I got a houseful! Even though you are lower than other providers, you may want to consider doing this just to get a couple of clients who will then talk to others about you.

Offer your current clients a $50 discount on one weeks services if they refer a family that signs with you.

Contact your local Moms of Multiples, (twins/triplets) and let them know you have space available for infants (assuming you are taking infants) They will probably really appreciate it....it's hard enough to find infant care for ONE child, much less two or three when you have twins/triplets. Offer a second child discount as well.

Good luck!
PAMommy1228 06:38 AM 09-24-2010
I didn't fill up for almost 6 months before I started, then a year later I was down in enrollment until recently.

I would make you ad a little more personalable instead of bullets of what makes you qualified.

I also found that people are not looking for a specific date they can start they are looking to start on Monday. I've only had 1 client say they were looking to start on November 1st, and they were looking in September, but they were my 1st client. Everyone else has come and said I need to start on Monday.

Lastly, I recently found power in numbers from google. I set up a Google places listing, and made sure I did it on Yahoo, and any other free site. Apparently Google doesn't go by distance, but how close to real you really are. If you are listed on many sites you have a website they move you up in the rankings. After I did that I've been getting calls 3-4 times a week and full.
MommyMuffin 08:35 AM 09-24-2010
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm feeling positive today...posted another ad at a store, joined some websites, ordered some more of Tom Copelands books and I am working on a more personal web ad. !
Live and Learn 09:16 AM 09-24-2010
make sure every extended family member, friend, teacher....everyone knows that you are starting a new biz. I can tell that you are super excited and I bet this enthusiasm shines through when you speak to people about this change. keep positive...It took quite a while for me to get ft full. Just be persistent and patient. You will get there.
thatgagirl 11:07 AM 09-24-2010
It took me until NOW literally to be full and I re-opened back in June. My goal was august, and it came and went...all of my current parents are word of mouth. Every $ i spend on advertising was a waste (except the $10 for my domain name for my free website).

Keep positive, you will fill up, it just may take a couple months. Until then I would just consider cutting back on your budget to make up the difference...
Tags:advertise, tom copeland
Reply Up