Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Notice?
KDC 09:39 AM 04-23-2015
I have a before/after 3 days a week for DCB-7 and sibling DCG-5 comes 1/2 day 3 days a week. These are my neighbors and we've had an ups and downs relationship (complain the most and want the pay the least). My son is the same age as the DCG and they're besties...so I watch the little girl for $35/day and that includes breakfast, lunch, snack, bus drop-off and bus pick-up and 6 hrs. of care, and I charge DCB $80/MONTH for before and after school care. Breakfast, bus drop off, bus pick-up and after school snack and 2-1/5 hours of care.

After food and taxes I make approximately $1.30/hour for the before and after school. It's a lot of work to make breakfast, feed, and they disrupt my own kids schedules for getting ready for school... I'm over it. I did it this year to keep the little girl since I've had her since infancy and she's my son's bestie.

DCM is a teacher and they have never paid for summer or anything to hold a spot. They complain now with prices at my rock bottom. I've decided to not offer care next year. She took a full-time teaching position and will probably need someone 5 days a week (they just assume I'm willing and able to pick up the extra 2 days)

If I tell them next month they'll have a little over 2 months to find alternative care. That's enough time, right?

Spitefully, the alternate solution for before and after school is the park district program. And they have to drive to the school, not across the cul-de-sac and pick-up. And pay an additional $1.60 per day per child for breakfast.

So... $449/month without breakfast for the $200 they'd have to pay me WITH breakfast. Maybe then they'll appreciate how good they had it with me???

Park District Pricing
Morning:
5 Days • $120 first child; $110 additional child
Afternoon:
5 Days • $114 first child; $105 additional child
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 04-23-2015
Originally Posted by KDC:
I have a before/after 3 days a week for DCB-7 and sibling DCG-5 comes 1/2 day 3 days a week. These are my neighbors and we've had an ups and downs relationship (complain the most and want the pay the least). My son is the same age as the DCG and they're besties...so I watch the little girl for $35/day and that includes breakfast, lunch, snack, bus drop-off and bus pick-up and 6 hrs. of care, and I charge DCB $80/MONTH for before and after school care. Breakfast, bus drop off, bus pick-up and after school snack and 2-1/5 hours of care.

After food and taxes I make approximately $1.30/hour for the before and after school. It's a lot of work to make breakfast, feed, and they disrupt my own kids schedules for getting ready for school... I'm over it. I did it this year to keep the little girl since I've had her since infancy and she's my son's bestie.

DCM is a teacher and they have never paid for summer or anything to hold a spot. They complain now with prices at my rock bottom. I've decided to not offer care next year. She took a full-time teaching position and will probably need someone 5 days a week (they just assume I'm willing and able to pick up the extra 2 days)

If I tell them next month they'll have a little over 2 months to find alternative care. That's enough time, right?

Spitefully, the alternate solution for before and after school is the park district program. And they have to drive to the school, not across the cul-de-sac and pick-up. And pay an additional $1.60 per day per child for breakfast.

So... $449/month without breakfast for the $200 they'd have to pay me WITH breakfast. Maybe then they'll appreciate how good they had it with me???

Park District Pricing
Morning:
5 Days • $120 first child; $110 additional child
Afternoon:
5 Days • $114 first child; $105 additional child
MORE than!!

I wouldn't even give a family that is so unappreciative the chance to worry you about notice periods (neighbors or not)....just tell them.

Two months is MORE than enough time to find more care.
Thriftylady 10:10 AM 04-23-2015
Two months is more than enough time. And if they come back begging, and you WANT the money, raise your rates to closer of the schools.
AmyKidsCo 01:34 PM 04-23-2015
That's tons of time! Two weeks is standard; you're giving them way more than that.
Reply Up