Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ot. For Those Of You Who Workout??!!
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:29 AM 10-09-2012
When do you find the time to workout?

Or what part of the day do you workout?

I find that by the end of the day which is usually 8:30-9 pm im too tired.

During the day if i go on the treadmill for a half hour or so, they all just stand there and stare at me, which i find embarassing.

So what do you do?
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
During the day if i go on the treadmill for a half hour or so, they all just stand there and stare at me, which i find embarassing.
So what do you do?
Not laughing at you but that sounds funny! I mean why would it be embarrassing to have littles staring at you?

They are just kids and they are probably learning a valuable lesson....exercise is good and needs to fit into whatever kind of day you have going on.

You could always include them and have them do some large motor games or dance while you are on the treadmill. That way it is a win-win for everyone.

I use my elliptical in the evening WHILE watching TV.
Unregistered 11:51 AM 10-09-2012
It's hard! I finally just broke down and hired someone to come in three times a week during nap time. The other days I go for a 45 minute walk/hike in the evening. If it's Saturday or Sunday I go as soon as I wake up,otherwise it's not happening. Even if you can't go to the gym there is plenty you can do for a half hour at nap time.Exercise! Fun!LOL
bluemoose_mom 11:59 AM 10-09-2012
Someone gave me a tip a when I started my daycare (from this site actually) to exercise while the kids played. I've done that for months now, and have lost several inches off my waist, and some off my arms. I do 50 crunches a day, 15 push ups, and calve raises (that one I do through out the day, whenever I'm standing still for any length of time). It takes me roughly 10 minutes, with being interrupted.

We just bought a bowflex, and I do that for 20 minutes 3 nights (sometimes, I try to at least hit 3 times) a week right after DD goes to bed.

I have to force myself to do that 20 minutes though. I make time, even if it means something has to wait until later.
laundrymom 12:09 PM 10-09-2012
I run from about 410-510 in the morning. On nice days- outside. If its raining or icey I use treadmill.
daycarediva 12:16 PM 10-09-2012
I used to run from 5-6 but now I have to open at 6. I just cannot wake up at 4 and have the motivation to work out. LOL! Naptime is a no go for me as my gym room is on a different level of the house and I can't legally leave the nappers to go workout.

Instead I hit the elliptical in the evenings. I do Mon/Wed/Fri. I actually just told dh that I am adding in Sat and Sun to actually get 5 days a week.
daycare 12:18 PM 10-09-2012
here is my answer.....I work part time as a personal trainer and this is what I tell my clients..

Everyone and anyone can work out, you have to want to. THERE is enough time in the day and you have to MAKE the time to do it..As Nike says, JUST DO IT...

yes you will be tired at the end of the day or at the start of the day, but you have to stop making an excuse and just make a commitment. Probably not what you wanted to hear..lol

I work out every day. morning, noon or night...some times I do both and some times all three. I have made it a way of life, just like those who can't wait to sit and just watch their TV show, I can't wait to get out there and work out..I crave it and desire it. My body cannot do without it.....
Unregistered 12:18 PM 10-09-2012
I haven't figured this one out myself. I do the "Insanity" workout by Shaun T, ao there is no way I could do that for 45 minutes t an hour during nap. Someone would always interrupt me I am sure. I can't workout in the morning because i wear my curly hair stratight, and all of the seat would fro out by the time I'm done. i have been working out in the evenning,but it doesn't seem natural, and I do not see myself sticking to it. I am morre of a morning/afternoon workout kind of girl.
Willow 12:30 PM 10-09-2012
I do pilates right before I shower and then hit the hay.

There is just no other time I can work it in consistently and without being interrupted. If I can't focus 100% on what I'm doing then I don't work myself nearly as intensely.

I find that 20 minutes alone can net me a heck of a lot more than an hours worth of "hey mom, mom, mom, mommy, mom" interruptions can.
Crystal 12:35 PM 10-09-2012
I work out during naptime or half an hour after dinner typically. Some times I have to fit it into another part of my day, but I do it, no matter what. If I skip it, I end up lacking energy, which can create a vicious cycle of not having the energy to workout!

On a side not, PLEASE do not use a treadmill around children. It can be VERY dangerous and only takes one second for a child to lose a finger in it. One of my DCM's found that out the hard way when her son stuck his finger in it while she was running....she tried to stop it, but with a moving treadmill you cannot react quickly enough to prevent it.
daycare 12:38 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
I do pilates right before I shower and then hit the hay.

There is just no other time I can work it in consistently and without being interrupted. If I can't focus 100% on what I'm doing then I don't work myself nearly as intensely.

I find that 20 minutes alone can net me a heck of a lot more than an hours worth of "hey mom, mom, mom, mommy, mom" interruptions can.
great point...you only need a good 20-30 min a day to work out....and depending on what you are trying to do will determine how hard you need to work out..

so if you are just trying to stay healthy and keep your current weight, a nice walk or light job in the am for 20-30 min would be good.

If you are trying to loose weight, you would need 20-30 min of contact workout that would elevate your heart rate the entire time. Intense cardio. you could also implement circuit training, which is where you lift weights, light reps without rest in between each exercise of your choice.

or you can do 20-30 min of straight weight lifting if you want to build muscle.

lots of things that you can do.... I like yoga too, but don't do it as much as I used to
daycare 12:39 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I work out during naptime or half an hour after dinner typically. Some times I have to fit it into another part of my day, but I do it, no matter what. If I skip it, I end up lacking energy, which can create a vicious cycle of not having the energy to workout!

On a side not, PLEASE do not use a treadmill around children. It can be VERY dangerous and only takes one second for a child to lose a finger in it. One of my DCM's found that out the hard way when her son stuck his finger in it while she was running....she tried to stop it, but with a moving treadmill you cannot react quickly enough to prevent it.
crystal.....GREAT POINT....professional boxer Mike Tysons daughter was killed from a treadmill accident....
Happy Hearts 01:16 PM 10-09-2012
When we are outside I walk around and around and around the yard. The kids are used to it and sometimes chase me, so I run and get my heart rate up. Natural interval training!!
spud912 01:19 PM 10-09-2012
I think you just have to figure out what time works best for you and your family. I used to try to do it in the mornings, but that snooze button is entirely too convincing. Plus, my dh has a sporadic schedule and I was finding that the few times I actually was semi-motivated to get up and run, he decided to go into work early (which I'm obviously not going to leave our kids alone, and I despise working out at home). I recently discovered that their is a lull of time between 7:30 and 8:30 pm. That gives me enough time to jog for 40 minutes and a quick shower afterwards. Then I can settle in for a relaxing movie before heading off to bed.
mom2many 01:25 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
here is my answer.....I work part time as a personal trainer and this is what I tell my clients..

Everyone and anyone can work out, you have to want to. THERE is enough time in the day and you have to MAKE the time to do it..As Nike says, JUST DO IT...

yes you will be tired at the end of the day or at the start of the day, but you have to stop making an excuse and just make a commitment. Probably not what you wanted to hear..lol

I work out every day. morning, noon or night...some times I do both and some times all three. I have made it a way of life, just like those who can't wait to sit and just watch their TV show, I can't wait to get out there and work out..I crave it and desire it. My body cannot do without it.....
I need your motivation! I got into a bad rut and need to do just what you said! I never had to struggle with my weight till recently and need to start working out again regularly after work and get these 20 lbs off!!!!
Country Kids 01:36 PM 10-09-2012
I did awesome this last summer. I was walking in the morning and walking/running in the evening.

Then school started and there is no time at all. Between getting ready for the next day/homework/cleaning and trying to be in bed at a resonable time I just can't do it during the school year it seems.

I was actually in bed by 9:00 last night and it felt wonderful. I was only 3.5 hours though after getting off work and it was push, push, push all evening so I could do that.
Oneluckymom 02:10 PM 10-09-2012
I've been off my health kick a while now. I decided tonight I'm getting on my elliptical.

PS Daycare is great to have around ....everyone needs some advice from a personal trainer now and again
daycare 02:25 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I've been off my health kick a while now. I decided tonight I'm getting on my elliptical.

PS Daycare is great to have around ....everyone needs some advice from a personal trainer now and again
you dont need to lie...I annoy everyone....hahahha

I guess when you make it a way of life, it's no different than any hobby that anyone else has. Maybe your hobby is cooking or scrap booking, mine must so happens to be working out. My kids and husband are very understanding of it, becuase they have seen what I am like if I don't get into the gym or a good home workout. I must admit, that it is really a great way to release stress, anger and a great source of energy. Plus it always keeps me healthy and feeling good. you would be surprised how much healthier and happier you are when you are getting to do something you love every day. Especially something that helps keep you healthy. I feel good knowing that I like what I see in the mirror. Some say that it's egocentric to say, so, but nothing is better than looking at the results of all of your hard work...

I will admit that there are times when I am forced to take a break, but it's never more than a few days and I and everyone around me hates life when I can't. My mental health is really affected by the lack of it, so I keep on my routine as much as possible.....
AnneCordelia 02:40 PM 10-09-2012
My husband gets up at 4:30am to go to the gymn in the morning.

I do the school walk every day of the week...it adds up to 4 miles a day pushing my quint stroller. Three days a week I do the 15 minute Bum Bum Booty Rapido by Beach Body with the kids. They like the music. The other two days I go for a run in the evening when my dh gets home. I also run one of the two weekend days.
seebachers 05:28 PM 10-09-2012
Jillian's 30 day Shred and the littles do it with me......HILARIOUS
laundrymom 06:06 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have made it a way of life, just like those who can't wait to sit and just watch their TV show, I can't wait to get out there and work out..I crave it and desire it. My body cannot do without it.....
my dog freaks out if we don't go! Lol he HATES treadmill days. Lol
daycare 06:12 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
my dog freaks out if we don't go! Lol he HATES treadmill days. Lol
ahhhh that is so darn cute.... my old dog use to go get the leash right at 5:55 and follow me around the house until 6:00 when we would leave to go for our run.... I miss that dog and the beach.... Now I have to run in the smog....
bluemoose_mom 07:37 PM 10-09-2012
Hey shout out to daycare---

I have 5 to 7 lbs left to lose from pre and post baby weight (I'm 5 ft, weighed 155 Jan. 2011 and now fluctuate between 110 and 113). I would love love to be 105 (what I weighed at high school graduation in 2004). Any tips? Thoughts? I've been at this weight now for about two months. I've lost several inches due to working out, but my weight has stayed the same. I'm starting to think it's not possible...
cheerfuldom 07:50 PM 10-09-2012
I plan to do 30 minutes in the morning on my elliptical before daycare hours and then another something during nap time...yoga or something low impact. I know I cant do anything after hours because I am just too exhausted by then. But doing mornings/naps has worked for me in the past.
daycare 07:53 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by bluemoose_mom:
Hey shout out to daycare---

I have 5 to 7 lbs left to lose from pre and post baby weight (I'm 5 ft, weighed 155 Jan. 2011 and now fluctuate between 110 and 113). I would love love to be 105 (what I weighed at high school graduation in 2004). Any tips? Thoughts? I've been at this weight now for about two months. I've lost several inches due to working out, but my weight has stayed the same. I'm starting to think it's not possible...
my advice is to stop focusing on the weight.

are you lifting weights? Muscle weighs more than fat. With that being said, I would focus on what size of clothing you want to wear, but then again goes back to your type of work out as well as diet. ALSO, the last 7-5lbs are always the hardest to lose.

can you tell me what kind of workout you are doing?

sorry to hijack the thread....you can PM me if you want
bluemoose_mom 08:24 PM 10-09-2012
Sorry to hijack too! I did pm you daycare.

Thanks!
Oneluckymom 08:48 PM 10-09-2012
Oh no!!! I was serious daycare not sarcastic!! I LOVE that we have someone on here who is so educated on workingout. Glad your here!
bluemoose_mom 08:56 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Oh no!!! I was serious daycare not sarcastic!! I LOVE that we have someone on here who is so educated on workingout. Glad your here!

and I agree!
daycare 09:21 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by bluemoose_mom:

and I agree!
you guys are too cute!! hey I have to be good for some kind of advice....don't have the best advice for daycare.......lol I think im on the wrong site.....JK
LK5kids 12:43 PM 10-10-2012
When I did fcc before....(I'm working on getting back into child care) Denise Austin was on from 6:00 to 7:00. Most of my kids came @ 7:30 to 8:00. This is one of my big concerns now. I want to have time to exercise. If I don't have kids till 6:30 then I'll exercise 5:30 to about 6:00 and again 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm. I like to do an hour a day.
LK5kids 12:47 PM 10-10-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
When we are outside I walk around and around and around the yard. The kids are used to it and sometimes chase me, so I run and get my heart rate up. Natural interval training!!
Oh my gosh...good idea
Tags:exercise, health
Reply Up