Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Diabetic Meal Ideas-Help!
Josiegirl 03:42 AM 06-14-2013
I have a 4 yo dcg who they found to be diabetic last summer. Such a sweetheart about it all, she handles everything so well(probably much better than I would!). I'm running out of ideas for her. The problem is mainly snacks. Seems so many of our snacks are carb-filled. I do measure out what she can have, then give her chicken or cheese sticks if she needs more of something.

All my lo-carb cookbooks don't seem to be geared towards children's tastes or they're things she's not too crazy about.
Anyone else dealing with diabetic children and have some suggestions? Thanks!!
itlw8 06:06 AM 06-14-2013
not children but dh is and we readjusting our diet. I would not make something special as the changes we all should follow. If you are going to measure her crackers do it for everyone.

chicken nuggets a better choice is chicken breast cut into pieces and cooked on a grill pan or sauted.

we all eat too many carbs how about carrot sticks with dip, celery with peanut butter, serve water instead of juice for everyone. cheese and crackers,

her serving is the same as the others should be having any way just avoid 2 carbs like crackers and juice and instead serve a protein . introduce a vegetable juice like v8 they might all like it. dgs loves tomato juice.

If you need some great ideas look at a diabetic magazine or online tons of great ones these days.
Cradle2crayons 07:04 AM 06-14-2013
Just do snacks that aren't simple carbs. Both husband and I are both diabetic and are insulin controlled.

Snacks are no problem, we do fruit and cheese. We skip crackers for the most part. Regardless of her diabetic status she still needs carbs just give her the good ones and not the bad ones and up the protein.

Skip anything breaded and processed. Stick to natural carbs and not simple sugar carbs.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have a 4 yo dcg who they found to be diabetic last summer. Such a sweetheart about it all, she handles everything so well(probably much better than I would!). I'm running out of ideas for her. The problem is mainly snacks. Seems so many of our snacks are carb-filled. I do measure out what she can have, then give her chicken or cheese sticks if she needs more of something.

All my lo-carb cookbooks don't seem to be geared towards children's tastes or they're things she's not too crazy about.
Anyone else dealing with diabetic children and have some suggestions? Thanks!!
I would ask the parents to supply you with a list of foods she regularly snacks on.
Diabetics shouldnt eat a low carb diet necessarily but should eat healthy carbs .

I have a Type 1 diabetic child in care and my husband is an insulin diabetic too.

Meals and snacks are super simple and easy to manage.

Carbs (good ones) WITH a protein is an ideal combo.

Fruit is healthy and good but some can be really high in carbs and although good carbs still alot so I wouldnt do more than just the recommended serving size for her age.

If you are ever in need of menu help/assistance, you are welcome to PM me anytime.
sunlight 07:48 AM 06-14-2013
I would ask her parents what her doctor and dietician want her to have. Always make sure to have something on hand to bring her blood sugar up incase of a low blood sugar. I would encourage you to stick to what her parents tell you. Sometimes, parents have a funny way of getting upset with the provider. If the little girl's test results come back higher later on they might blame you for feeding her to much or giving her the wrong things etc. I'm only saying this because I've seen it before and wouldn't want you to have to deal with it. I think it's great that you are reaching out and trying to get ideas! It shows you are pro active in this.

I am a Type 1 Diabetic on Insulin. If anyone is interested in the diet I follow to get some ideas on foods it is called the "DR. Bernstein Diabetes Solutions Diet". It is super strict but gaurantees you controlled blood sugars.
MarinaVanessa 08:26 AM 06-14-2013
I'm on the food program so if I couldn't change all of my meals for all of the kids (ie feed everyone as if they were diabetic) I'd require a DRS note and have the parents supply the meals, then just not claim the childs meals. I don't want to be negative Nelly here but sometimes (not always) the parents don't always give their kids the healthiest foods even when they have medical reasons to eat healthy so I would have the parents be responsible for bringing the food if only so I could see what they were feeding the child. If it is healthy food and they are following the guidelines then it may just give you ideas and you can take over once you see what she likes and what she doesn't.

I'd also check online and Google diabetic meals/snacks for kids and see what you can find. You should he able to get at least some ideas and I think that, like people suggested, keeping it simple is best. Good luck :-)
itlw8 11:30 AM 06-14-2013
[

You could feed everyone as if they were diabetic though. That is exactly the way the food program would like us to feed them. From what I have been told more and more of it will be in the regulations in the next few years.

simple foods cost less than processed foods. They key is just to find fast ways to cook them.Type 2 diabetes has become an epidemic. Teaching good eating habits to all the children is a good thing.

The biggest changes we have made for dh diet is more whole grains and lots of veggies. Plus he has learned to pair a good carb with a protein. nothing about that would the food program have a problem with.

sorry I did not read that right I deleted the quote. Truely I do not see why a dr note is needed for the food program, as special food is not needed.
MarinaVanessa 11:47 AM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
[

You could feed everyone as if they were diabetic though. That is exactly the way the food program would like us to feed them. From what I have been told more and more of it will be in the regulations in the next few years.

simple foods cost less than processed foods. They key is just to find fast ways to cook them.Type 2 diabetes has become an epidemic. Teaching good eating habits to all the children is a good thing.

The biggest changes we have made for dh diet is more whole grains and lots of veggies. Plus he has learned to pair a good carb with a protein. nothing about that would the food program have a problem with.

sorry I did not read that right I deleted the quote. Truely I do not see why a dr note is needed for the food program, as special food is not needed.
I was just saying that if the child's plan was not in accordance with the current food program guidelines. I don't have or have had kids in care with diabetes so I wouldn't know what type of food they should eat but I was thinking more in the lines of portions than food types. If the child's portion were smaller for example than that of the food program then I would need a Dr's note for my own purposes (to make sure that they were for medical reasons and not just what the parents "thought" was best) and then I just wouldn't claim the child's meals (because they wouldn't meet the food program's guidelines).

And I agree that simple foods are best to give to kids anyway so for snacks I give fruit and cheese a lot too and I don't have many problems with snacks. Heck my DC kids don't mind baby carrots or sliced raw zucchini (no dressing or dip). I would just feel bad sometimes because I do sometimes serve graham crackers or something and I'd have to just stop doing that completely because I personally would just want to feed all of the kids the same meals so that one doesn't feel left out because they don't get crackers. I would think that it would be easier to accommodate and change everyone's meals to be the same thing anyway than to make a meal for one child and then make something separate for the others.
Cradle2crayons 02:03 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I was just saying that if the child's plan was not in accordance with the current food program guidelines. I don't have or have had kids in care with diabetes so I wouldn't know what type of food they should eat but I was thinking more in the lines of portions than food types. If the child's portion were smaller for example than that of the food program then I would need a Dr's note for my own purposes (to make sure that they were for medical reasons and not just what the parents "thought" was best) and then I just wouldn't claim the child's meals (because they wouldn't meet the food program's guidelines).

And I agree that simple foods are best to give to kids anyway so for snacks I give fruit and cheese a lot too and I don't have many problems with snacks. Heck my DC kids don't mind baby carrots or sliced raw zucchini (no dressing or dip). I would just feel bad sometimes because I do sometimes serve graham crackers or something and I'd have to just stop doing that completely because I personally would just want to feed all of the kids the same meals so that one doesn't feel left out because they don't get crackers. I would think that it would be easier to accommodate and change everyone's meals to be the same thing anyway than to make a meal for one child and then make something separate for the others.
My son will beg for celery... No dip... Just celery... He LOVES all raw veggies. My daughter, not so much lol.

If I had a diabetic dck I wouldn't have to change a thing. But you do have to be very sure they are actually EATING. whereas if they aren't diabetic and they don't like your snack, and don't eat it, it's no big deal. But with diabetic kids, you have to be positive they are eating enough to keep the blood sugar up enough so they don't have low spells.
Josiegirl 05:23 AM 06-15-2013
Thanks all! I stay well within the carb limits at meals but my issue seems to be snacktime. I don't serve juice. See, it's simple things like the graham crackers, we don't have them very often anymore because they're high carb. We do use a lot of peanut butter, cheese and chicken for snacks. And I do feed them all the same. I just adjust things for her a bit.
Childminder 08:38 PM 06-15-2013
I have 2 dcks in care that are Type 1 diabetic. One is now 3, diagnosed at 2 and one 9, diagnosed at 6. They eat just about everything the other children do just count the carbs. Both are now on pumps which has made my life at meal time a lot less hectic.

I do cook most everything from scratch and buy very little processed and prepared food items but do get high fiber protein bars and snacks(you can subtract the fiber from the carb count) and "Fruitable" juice which is half the carbs because it's half veggie. Some of the yogurts are very low on carbs which they like and I make smoothies a lot using plain yogurt with fruit, veggies and a "Crystal light" for flavor instead of juice.

I'm lucky that both of the kids are great veggie lovers so dips of cheese, yogurt, or mayo base is good. Cheese with whole grain crackers, p'nut butter w/apples, or a p'nut butter on whole grain bread. Costco sells a no sugar added jam that is delicious and Sam's has a very low carb wheat tortilla that they love as a quesadilla or rollups with veggie and meat and cheese.
Cradle2crayons 09:33 AM 06-16-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I have 2 dcks in care that are Type 1 diabetic. One is now 3, diagnosed at 2 and one 9, diagnosed at 6. They eat just about everything the other children do just count the carbs. Both are now on pumps which has made my life at meal time a lot less hectic.

I do cook most everything from scratch and buy very little processed and prepared food items but do get high fiber protein bars and snacks(you can subtract the fiber from the carb count) and "Fruitable" juice which is half the carbs because it's half veggie. Some of the yogurts are very low on carbs which they like and I make smoothies a lot using plain yogurt with fruit, veggies and a "Crystal light" for flavor instead of juice.

I'm lucky that both of the kids are great veggie lovers so dips of cheese, yogurt, or mayo base is good. Cheese with whole grain crackers, p'nut butter w/apples, or a p'nut butter on whole grain bread. Costco sells a no sugar added jam that is delicious and Sam's has a very low carb wheat tortilla that they love as a quesadilla or rollups with veggie and meat and cheese.
I agree. With all of the organic and other options now a days it makes doing the diabetic thing SO much easier!!!! I've really found its so so easy, but the only thing with kids that makes it hard sometimes is if they are very picky and won't eat veggies... Ugh lol
Reply Up