Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum><12 Months New Solid Foods?
KDC 07:53 AM 01-17-2014
Does anyone require parents to notify them if they've recently introduced a new food to babies under 12 months?

Yesterday DCB age 7-1/2 was beside himself, he was screaming for 10 mins and sleeping for 10 mins...rinse and repeat. He was absolutely miserable. He's typically an easy baby, full of giggles and predictable. No fever or any symptoms other than a little runny nose as he's getting over a mild cold. He does not have any teeth, so I was assuming it was teething. At pick-up she mentions they tried cauliflower last night "And, he just loved it, couldn't get enough!" Poor gassy baby... he was so miserable yesterday. I told them to hold off on the cauliflower for the weekend, so they could monitor his behavior. Just made me wonder if anyone had something in their handbooks for this scenario.

Thanks!
Heidi 08:18 AM 01-17-2014
no, nothing in my handbook, just verbal communication. If one of my kiddos acted like that, I'd probably be texting or calling a couple hours in and asking for clues, though.

Cauliflower is generally NOT on my list of "first foods"! Poor buddy!
KDC 09:28 AM 01-17-2014
I did call, and they thought teething too, wasn't till they came to pick him up did they say, "well, we tried Cauliflower last night and he absolutely loved it, but, don't you think if it caused gas he would have had a hard time last night?"

Maybe just a one off learning lesson. Thanks for your input!
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 01-17-2014
I do. My handbook says:

Infant Meals

Children under 12 months of age are fed on demand and are not required to follow designated meal times/patterns.

Children 12 months of age and older will be served be served cow's milk and regular table foods. Formula, baby cereal/foods will no longer be served to children beginning on their first birthday unless a special diet statement is in effect.

The daycare will provide all infant cereal and baby food while in care. No foods will be introduced to the child until the food has been introduced at home first.

Any new foods must be fed to the child at home for one full week before being fed to the child at daycare. When notifying the provider of new foods, please do so in writing so that this information can be placed in the child's file and recorded properly.

The last two paragraphs cover my policy.
melilley 12:53 PM 01-17-2014
I have something along the lines that they have to provide me with a list of foods that baby has eaten and they need to update it as they try new foods.
Reply Up