Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Was I Thinking?!
laceylmm 08:24 AM 04-10-2014
2 two year olds
9 month old
11 month old
6 week old
4 year old

So much for any schedule! Any tips from people equally crazy?
bklsmum 08:30 AM 04-10-2014
I would get an assistant, even if only part time.
SilverSabre25 08:40 AM 04-10-2014
Give the 4 and 2 two's a schedule and let the babies fit in around it.
jenboo 09:39 AM 04-10-2014
I thought I was crazy with
Just turned 2
20 months
16 months
3 months

We are all on a schedule. I have to adjust occasionally. It takes a while to get them in a good routine but once they get it, the days are so much easier!
KDC 10:28 AM 04-10-2014
I would not be able to handle that group. State regulations restrict the ratio of littles to bigs you can care for at the same time. By myself, I can only have 2 children under 30 months if I go the full 8 capacity, or 3 under 30 if I have 6 in capacity. I currently have 3 under 30 months, and 4 yr. olds. I will only accept 1 infant at a time (under 12 months), and my third is close to the 30 month benchmark. Good luck!!
ihop 10:32 AM 04-10-2014
I am almost equally crazy. But I have yet to find any balance. Share the wealth when you figure it out

I have...
24 month
25 month
9 month
12 month
3 year old

coolconfidentme 10:36 AM 04-10-2014
I use to have a crew like that.., 3 BABIES in walkers! I use to do walker races to see which baby would get to the other side of the room to a toy. The older kids would cheer on the babies. I also had no walker Wednesday. It was crazy, but was fun. Remember the baby rules; Don't touch baby or baby things!
Heidi 10:42 AM 04-10-2014
That's rough!

2 year olds and 4 year old's schedule Breakfast-lunch-nap-snack, basically. 9 and 11 month olds; same schedule, only add a morning nap 9-9-45. During that time, "big kids" do an activity. Playdough, coloring, etc. Something at the table, or open the sensory table (or the Rubbermaid tub). Or, you could have them do "chores" while you do yours.

6 week old, I would TRY to follow a similar schedule as 9 & 11 mo's, but wouldn't necessarily expect success. At least, I would try to get her (or him) on some sort of pattern, if not really a schedule.
taylorw1210 11:19 AM 04-10-2014
I have a 10 and 11 mo old who both have been with me since their parent's maternity leave was over. It took us quite a while to get into a good routine, but now they both nap from 8-10am every morning and again from 12-2. During their 8-10am naps, the older kids and I do our curriculum and outside time. When the babies wake up, we have free-play until lunch and then it's nap time again at 12 for everyone. (The rest of my screw is on the same schedule and they are 22m-4yrs)

This schedule won't work a whole lot longer as one baby's last day is tomorrow and the other may be switching to one nap per day soon - but it worked well for us for several months!
laceylmm 11:56 AM 04-10-2014
I can have 3 under 2. My 4 gets here at 11:40am and all day wednesday. One 2 leaves at 12:45, and the baby is 7-3. And 11 month leaves by 2:30 most days.

My 11 month won't nap until noon. Nine month old I've been trying to keep up as close to noon as possible but some days she just can't make it. A regular am nap would make things much easier. The 11 month old is good but destructive. Has ruined so many books from chewing them that I've had to put all the books away. Same with play food. Constantly digging things out of her mouth that she has found or broken. Constantly dumps all the toy bins.

I'm going to try and reconfigure my room this weekend so the older kids can have crayons again and their own space that babies can't get to. I had to put those away also to keep away from the 11 month old.
cheerfuldom 11:55 AM 04-11-2014
Originally Posted by laceylmm:
2 two year olds
9 month old
11 month old
6 week old
4 year old

So much for any schedule! Any tips from people equally crazy?
That sounds insane. My thought is that if you have a mixed aged group with no assistant, you shouldnt take more than two non-walking children at a time. Its really too much otherwise, for most people. In your case, I would let the 6 week old stay "on demand" provided she was sleeping enough and not a screamer. The other two babies would be on two naps a day. The second nap being the same time frame as the 2 and 4 year olds. Meals is the other issue. Get those older babies on a sippy cup and self feeding asap! That will be a big help.

Right now I have

11 months, 15 months, 16 months, 23 months, almost 3 (all full timers, only one non-walker spoon fed baby)

three 4 year olds and a 6 year old that are all part time

These include my own kids which to be frank are usually more demanding than the daycare kids. My personal rule is that I only take one child under 12 months at a time and I dont do newborns or older school age kids.
melilley 12:03 PM 04-11-2014
Sounds a lot like me! But we can only have 4 under 30 mo. and can only have 2 under 18 mo. in a day.
I have
1-5 mo (f/t)
1-8 mo (p/t)
3- 1.5 yo (two f/t, one p/t)
2- 2.5 yo (one f/t, one p/t)
1-3yo (p/t)

It does get crazy sometimes, especially when the two babies are here! We have a routine, but if things don't get done then so be it. My babies are pretty easy going though so it makes it easier.
Reply Up