Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD? Payment Issue
KDC 08:11 AM 06-04-2014
I have a DCF that started early with me. I was new, they lived across the street (cul-de-sac). I've been doing daycare for about 8 years, and they've been part of the daycare for 7 of those years. They are by far my most high maintenance DCF I've ever had. I'm down to watching DCB(7) before & after for 3 days and DCG(5) just 3 days a week for Kindergarten 1/2 days. Because they've been with me so long, and are 'friends', I've let them get away with more than I would any other family. I know they're taking advantage at this point. They've argued price (and they're getting a DEAL!). I used my backbone and it's made it a little awkward between our families lately. DCM is a part-time teacher. I've never charged her for summers.

My rule is they pay for the spot during the school year. If they decide not to show, I still charge them. Been this way for 7 years. Well, for June I sent them a note asking for their last day. Earlier this year they wanted to send their DCB 7 on a day off of school (but were surprised when I charged them) Once they found out I charge for DCB, they started using Grandparents to watch DCB, I still had DCG-5 because they knew I'd charge them for her.

So for June, because I asked them their last day, they just 'assumed' I would only charge them for the days they 'scheduled' with me. Since they get the summers off without paying. Although SCHOOL for the DCM hasn't eneded!! So...
This week I only have them on Thursday (should be 3 days this week), and next week they'll be here the full 3 days, both children).
I sent them an invoice, but they ONLY paid for when they'll both be here, shorting me the 2 days they've decided to keep DCG5 home this week.

Is it worth arguing at this point? My DS adores this DCG and so do I, which is why I haven't termed their tushies. This sort of behavior just burns me. Because if they were ANY other family I'd ask them to pay the full amount per the signed contract.

Learned my lesson. No more friends/close neighbors as clients. It's just too much!
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 06-04-2014
Absolutely worth pursuing!

If they are so appreciative of you and your services they should WANT to pay you for everything you do.

I would send them a reminder saying something like

"Oops, there must have been an oversight as your payment was short by $xx for the weeks of xx, 2014 - xx 2014. Please submit $xx to cover the remaining balance and to avoid any late fees of $xx per day being added to the balance. Thank you!"

As for the awkwardness....THEY should feel awkward NOT you. They are the ones taking advantage.

If either dad or mom balks at having to pay, just keep telling them that yes, you ARE friends/neighbors but this is still your job and a source of income for your family so everyone has to follow the same rules.
cheerfuldom 10:00 AM 06-04-2014
So the problem is that they are scheduling days and then not using them.....and only wanting to pay based on attendance? I am confused....
KDC 02:26 PM 06-04-2014
@Cheerfuldom - I asked when they're last day of the school year is. That would be the point in which they are done with my daycare until August. In this case they said the Thursday, June 12th would be their last day here. They have a set schedule with me (Tues, Wed, Thurs.) so if they are absent one of those days, they still pay. Well, this week she was absent Tues (3). & Wednesday (today the 4), but since they told me ahead of time she wouldn't be here, they assumed they wouldn't have to pay. They pay for the spot, not the day -- So regardless I should've been paid for those two days. I worked, they decided to pull her for birthday celebrations and time spent with grandparents. That in my opinion shouldn't affect my income. If her official 'last day' came before that, then I of course wouldn't expect payment. She is coming tomorrow as normal, and all next week (with the addition of her drop in brother). It's tedious, and probably a little petty... but they are my rules so I feel like I'm bending them, for them.
TwinKristi 02:34 PM 06-04-2014
Yeah I would say it's worth pursuing. Maybe they will be irritated and not come back in Aug!
rosieteddy 04:28 PM 06-04-2014
I would totally let it go.However I would let them know that they are not paying their proper amount.I would send a nice note letting them know they took advantage. "Dear Parent ,I know we are done for the summer.Just a note to let you know that the week of ------You owed x amount.Payment that week was---------.I will waive the amount this time. Have a great summer. Also I now collect payment ahead of time,it really helped with this problem.Now the parents pay a month ahead of time and I never refund .I joke with my family that they better hope I dont die suddenly LOL.
Reply Up