Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Inform Another Daycare About
Unregistered 11:26 AM 01-19-2015
A child that they will be getting in two weeks when they leave your care? The child leaving has issues I wondered if I should warn them of this or let th figure it out for themselves.
daycare 11:28 AM 01-19-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
A child that they will be getting in two weeks when they leave your care? The child leaving has issues I wondered if I should warn them of this or let th figure it out for themselves.
I dont ever say anything when a child leaves unless they are graduating out of the program on to formal schooling.

I just leave it be and if someone asks, I will just tell them we parted ways, I would not say anymore than that.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 01-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont ever say anything when a child leaves unless they are graduating out of the program on to formal schooling.

I just leave it be and if someone asks, I will just tell them we parted ways, I would not say anymore than that.
What she said ^^

What was trouble for one provider may not be an issue for another.

Some of the best families I've had came with the worst stories from other providers.
Rockgirl 11:39 AM 01-19-2015
I wouldn't say anything, either. I'd be concerned about the confidentiality issue, for starters.
KDC 02:56 PM 01-19-2015
My new neighbor nannied for a family that inquired about my services. My new neighbor and I became friends and she would tell me horror stories about her latest family. Well, this new family came to interview and said right away... "HEY, your neighbor used to nanny for us!". Little did they know I already heard the horror stories of them not paying, bounced checks, scheduling to the minute and yelling, not available during emergency calls. She walked in, I answered the questions and she said, "I'm sold!, where do I sign up?," with her check book and pen out. I said I had a couple more interviews and I'd let her know. "She said, who's interviewing who?, <insert nervous laugh here>. I said I was looking for someone full-time AND a good fit. It was in the best interest for me and her to be sure we were a good match. She then proceeded to ask for my provider id. Got very snarky. All this and she didn't bring her daughter because she wasn't feeling well.

Point being, I would have known this lady was not a good fit before having any additional information. If the other provider decided to take them on, it's on them. There is NO reason for you to insert yourself and open yourself up to any issues. It's like gossiping... not good, could always bite you. Better to just be silent and smile. They may be a good match?, Ya never know!
KIDZRMYBIZ 03:17 PM 01-19-2015
I agree with the other posters. It would not be a good idea to initiate such a convo with the new provider. It would be terrible if she repeated what you said about them to them, and they could try to make trouble for you over it. It's always better to take the high road.

And like Blackcat said, what you had a problem with the new provider may never see from them, or be things she couldn't care less about.
sahm1225 08:24 PM 01-19-2015
It would depend on my relationship with the provider, but most likely I wouldn't say anything.

I have a provider on the same block that does just after school care. I sent a family her way after an interview that made me think 'no way!'. She interviewed, got the family and the kid was great with her. I'm set to for younger & offer a semi structured day. She's set up for older and offered free play & homework help. He was the perfect child for her program.
Leigh 06:48 AM 01-20-2015
I have ONE provider friend that I share such information with. We warn each other about problem families. I tend to hear a lot about those kinds of families, but I only share with my one friend.
AmyKidsCo 09:30 AM 01-20-2015
Legally you can't say anything or you could be sued for slander/libel (depending on if it was verbal or written.) The only things you can safely say about parents are non-confidential facts. For instance, the child was in your care from (date) to (date), and if you would accept the child for care again. I don't think you're even safe saying that the parents paid or picked up late, even though those are provable facts. Tom Copeland would know...
daycarediva 10:36 AM 01-20-2015
I wouldn't risk the breach of confidentiality, and I wouldn't want the parent to hear about what I had said, as it is really unprofessional.

There is a provider locally that has HALF of her current clients calling around to tour different providers, and I WISH I could give her a heads up, but I don't want to get involved.
LovetheSun 01:21 PM 01-20-2015
If you do not know the new provider,I would not say anything... to respect the family privacy but ALSO because they could believe you are just upset to see them leave (and trying to make it difficult for them to find childcare).

But if is a close friend, you can warm her without getting into details? Maybe just say you are worried because this family has been a little difficult.
Febby 03:20 PM 01-20-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Legally you can't say anything or you could be sued for slander/libel (depending on if it was verbal or written.) The only things you can safely say about parents are non-confidential facts. For instance, the child was in your care from (date) to (date), and if you would accept the child for care again. I don't think you're even safe saying that the parents paid or picked up late, even though those are provable facts. Tom Copeland would know...
It's only slander/libel if it's false. True facts and opinions are not slander/libel. That said, I wouldn't say anything to the new daycare about the family. Confidentiality is a big issue when it comes to children and spreading stories about bad families doesn't look professional.
AmyKidsCo 08:26 PM 01-20-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
It's only slander/libel if it's false. True facts and opinions are not slander/libel. That said, I wouldn't say anything to the new daycare about the family. Confidentiality is a big issue when it comes to children and spreading stories about bad families doesn't look professional.
You're right - I had my terms wrong. I meant "defamation" which is saying something that would damage their reputation, even if it is true.

Tom Copeland on the matter: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2014/...r-clients.html
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2012/...owe-money.html
Tags:notifying other daycare, problem child
Reply Up