Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Is this the free daycare?"
Crazy8 01:15 PM 09-15-2015
yes, that's the first thing I heard when I said "hello" into the phone today.

Is there such a thing??? I mean, I know there is state subsidy and things like that but this didn't sound like she was asking about that. Now that I think more about it I am guessing it has something to do with the signs a new daycare put up that say "Free Week" in big letters and then in smaller print say something like "after one month of enrollment". I wish I had asked more questions but I was just kind of dumbfounded and said "ummm, no, I do not offer daycare for free".

If these were the only words that came from a caller on your line how would you reply???? Have fun with it!
BabyMonkeys 01:30 PM 09-15-2015
Yes it is! When you pre-pay for the year you get a week free! I only accept cash, and no refunds.
Controlled Chaos 01:33 PM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
Yes it is! When you pre-pay for the year you get a week free! I only accept cash, and no refunds.
well played

I probably would have just busted out laughing and hung up... yep
Cat Herder 01:37 PM 09-15-2015
Is it possible they confused you with an emergency respite provider?

"Families in crisis", "child abuse prevention", "drop off respite".
Rockgirl 01:41 PM 09-15-2015
"Yes! The actual care is free. You'd just need to pay a weekly fee to hold your spot, meal preparing fee, meal serving fee, diapering/potty assistance fee, craft fee, book reading fee, nap fee, and outdoor play fee. Other than that, it's 100% FREE!"
Thriftylady 01:48 PM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
"Yes! The actual care is free. You'd just need to pay a weekly fee to hold your spot, meal preparing fee, meal serving fee, diapering/potty assistance fee, craft fee, book reading fee, nap fee, and outdoor play fee. Other than that, it's 100% FREE!"
That is kind of along the lines I was thinking. But if I answered the phone and someone asked that I wouldn't think that fast I would be speechless.
daycare 01:55 PM 09-15-2015
yes its free, you just have to provide the following

please bring the following with you
milk -value -$5.69 a gallon
Diapers $12.99 a pack
wipes $2.99
food for the whole day $15.00
art supplies $25.00
sleeping cot- $46.00
musical instruments-$200.00
Curriculum -$80
books at least 3 to choose from so they don't get bored $25.00
toys $200.00

or you can pay me $40.00 a day and I will cover all of those things and more....
Blackcat31 01:58 PM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Is it possible they confused you with an emergency respite provider?

"Families in crisis", "child abuse prevention", "drop off respite".
That is what I was wondering too. We have a crisis nursery plan here too and the providers that provide the care are regular providers. They get through the county but the care is free to the parents in need. A lot of times, the parents will call the provider of their choice from the list and make the arrangements themselves.
daycare 01:59 PM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is what I was wondering too. We have a crisis nursery plan here too and the providers that provide the care are regular providers. They get through the county but the care is free to the parents in need. A lot of times, the parents will call the provider of their choice from the list and make the arrangements themselves.
wow that is awesome. I have never heard of this. NOt sure if we have this in our state
Crazy8 02:10 PM 09-15-2015
I've never heard of any programs like that and I've been a daycare provider for 14 years. We are not a low income area by any means, median income is $90,000 so maybe that is why we wouldn't have anything like that here?? Like I said, there is a state subsidy program but I'm not even sure how that works as I do not accept it (did once, 13 years ago and got burned!).
Blackcat31 02:18 PM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I've never heard of any programs like that and I've been a daycare provider for 14 years. We are not a low income area by any means, median income is $90,000 so maybe that is why we wouldn't have anything like that here?? Like I said, there is a state subsidy program but I'm not even sure how that works as I do not accept it (did once, 13 years ago and got burned!).
It has nothing to do with income in your area. It's a program to help stop child neglect and abuse by offering free or low cost service to parents in need. Whether regularly or a one time thing. Anything to alleviate the stress and frustrations caused by family illness, divorce, domestic violence, drug and alcohol use, the every day frustrations of being a single parent or any of the other things that cause a caregiver to need the break.

I didn't mean to imply anything personal.

Just thought maybe the caller meant something like that when she asked if it was the free daycare.

Here is a link to the program I am referring to http://crisisnursery.org/
Blackcat31 02:20 PM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
wow that is awesome. I have never heard of this. NOt sure if we have this in our state
You do. Just google Crisis Nursery + your area.

Almost all areas have them from my understanding.

I am sure many don't but LOTS do.
Crazy8 02:35 PM 09-15-2015
It has nothing to do with income in your area. It's a program to help stop child neglect and abuse by offering free or low cost service to parents in need. Whether regularly or a one time thing. Anything to alleviate the stress and frustrations caused by family illness, divorce, domestic violence, drug and alcohol use, the every day frustrations of being a single parent or any of the other things that cause a caregiver to need the break.

Just thought maybe the caller meant something like that when she asked if it was the free daycare.

Gotcha! I didn't take it personally, just thought you were referring to something that might be for lower incomes that wouldn't be much around in my area. We don't have things like Goodwill stores, etc. here - I wish we did, LOL! I'm a frugal Dave Ramsey follower so hear a lot about discount places that just aren't around here.

I'm googling it now and can't seem to come up with anything like that here. Would be interested to know if there is something like that as I've never heard of anything other than the state subsidy program to help families. I really don't think that was the intent of my caller though - I would think in a case like that they would give a little more info upon calling.
Cat Herder 02:46 PM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Would be interested to see if there is something like that.
If there is not one, it is easy to set one up yourself.

If you have open slots you just let the local crisis center know. (or church, DFACS, food bank, womens shelter, respite center for special needs, you can take your pick)

They will call if they ever need you. Also a fantastic way to build a strong reputation while being a valuable member of your community.
Hunni Bee 02:52 PM 09-15-2015

At my old daycare job, we had some kids from a program like this. The worker called the evening before and the kids were enrolled on the spot without us meeting or talking to the parents. They needed to be out of the home away from their noncustodial, mentally ill and apparently abusive mother, who was allowed to live there

We had a few kids like this over the years.

I thought we were just doing DSS a favor.
Thriftylady 03:40 PM 09-15-2015
Never heard of this before. Apparently there is one but it is across the state from me. Wonder if I could do something like this.
littletots 06:33 PM 09-15-2015
Very interesting topic. Learning more everyday from daycare.com!
Nisaryn 07:18 PM 09-15-2015
As a military provider I'm able to provide "respite" care for spouses who's sailor are deployed and need a break or whose spouse just returned from deployment and they need some days to re-connect. It's a great program and I've used it before and have also provided care for spouses who needed it. It's not free actually, the military pays for the week through the subsidy...they bring me an approved voucher that I turn in with my monthly subsidy claim. But it is free for them in a way so they think of it as being free. I also provide this same type of relief for families that need a break from their special needs children because, even as much as we love them, it can still be tough (tougher depending on the exact nature of their needs) caring for them and sometimes mommy and daddy need a break.
DaveA 03:57 AM 09-16-2015
We have one in our area (Springfield IL) near the hospitals. Great program for people in need. Basically it's a 24 hour center that can help with referrals and information on other services in the area in addition to providing emergency care.
Reply Up