Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Birthdays
lovemykidstoo 07:59 AM 11-02-2017
What do you all do about daycare birthdays? I have always (nearly 17 years) given little gifts to the kids for their birthdays and also Christmas. The problem is the items I used to buy were like $5 to $10. Now you can't get anything decent under $20 sometimes. I would really like to get away with it. I had one of my new dck's last week turn 1. I totally forgot about it, which is another issue. I have so much to remember lol. I'm wondering if now is the time to get done with that kind of thing by not buying for the new ones, but then how do I get away with not getting caught buying for the existing kids? Or should I just keep getting them all a little something. They all have so many toys, books, stuffed animals etc.
Blackcat31 08:03 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
What do you all do about daycare birthdays? I have always (nearly 17 years) given little gifts to the kids for their birthdays and also Christmas. The problem is the items I used to buy were like $5 to $10. Now you can't get anything decent under $20 sometimes. I would really like to get away with it. I had one of my new dck's last week turn 1. I totally forgot about it, which is another issue. I have so much to remember lol. I'm wondering if now is the time to get done with that kind of thing by not buying for the new ones, but then how do I get away with not getting caught buying for the existing kids? Or should I just keep getting them all a little something. They all have so many toys, books, stuffed animals etc.
I don't buy gifts but I do give a card and I give the parent the day for free IF they take the day and spend it with the birthday child. Sadly only one family utilizes this option.

I agree about not being able to get anything worthwhile for under $15-20 and anything more would be so expensive... so I just give a card and the free day option.

I do things a bit different for Christmas but for DCK's birthdays, that is really all I can afford...I have 16 kids enrolled.
lovemykidstoo 08:15 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't buy gifts but I do give a card and I give the parent the day for free IF they take the day and spend it with the birthday child. Sadly only one family utilizes this option.

I agree about not being able to get anything worthwhile for under $15-20 and anything more would be so expensive... so I just give a card and the free day option.

I do things a bit different for Christmas but for DCK's birthdays, that is really all I can afford...I have 16 kids enrolled.
That's a good idea to do the certificate. I have 8 enrolled right now and I honestly just don't want to do it anymore. I have 3 of them in April, so there's close to $60 right there. I just think that the kids get too much already and i am tired of trying to figure out what they like, what they have, etc Christmas I don't mind. It's fun, but when my son was in daycare, she didn't buy birthday gifts and I didn't think twice about it. I just don't know how to get away from it. I don't really want to kinda gradually stop with new little ones. I have 2 that will be leaving for preschool here soon. I just started 1 infant and have another starting in a few weeks, so I can start not buying for those 2.
LysesKids 08:26 AM 11-02-2017
You do know you are limited to $25 per child for gifts yearly... anything over isn't tax deductible - I usually just do cupcakes & hats on the day of the birthday (along with pics)... gifts I give to the kids are saved for My Winter Holiday party so I can do a holiday bag with a book & stuffed animal & of course the Christmas Crackers (I come from a British family... Christmas poppers are a big to do at my party every year lol)
Miss A 08:27 AM 11-02-2017
BC, I love that gift idea! I may have to implement that in the new year.
Baby Beluga 08:28 AM 11-02-2017
We sing Happy Birthday to the child, that's it. Occasionally a parent will ask to bring in a treat for their child to celebrate and I am okay with that.
But I don't do birthday gifts or party here. It's just too much. To me, birthday's are supposed to be a special family celebration.
storybookending 08:30 AM 11-02-2017
I do a small gift. It hasn’t been hard for me to find a gift in the $10 range for anyone. The one that turned 1 this summer got a T-shirt and pair of shorts that matched. The 5 year old that moved on to K got a set of matchbox cars on his birthday. The 3 year olds: one got a puzzle and one a little carebear. My next dck birthday is Monday and since I’m already spending what I normally do on my nieces and nephews she’s not getting a daycare present.

For Christmas last year I found a shop on Etsy that had different holiday plush animals and she ironed on their names. Cost me about $8 per child. This year I think I am doing pajamas and possibly a storybook.

Every parent so far has brought in a treat for everyone.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:40 AM 11-02-2017
They get their favorite lunch and we do muffins for snack. We sing happy birthday. If they're old enough they get to make some of choices for the day (activity, story, etc...) and go first when appropriate. I have had the kids make cards for them. We just kind of make it their day, no monetary gifts needed.
I'm in the "they have too much stuff already" boat.
lovemykidstoo 08:45 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I do a small gift. It hasn’t been hard for me to find a gift in the $10 range for anyone. The one that turned 1 this summer got a T-shirt and pair of shorts that matched. The 5 year old that moved on to K got a set of matchbox cars on his birthday. The 3 year olds: one got a puzzle and one a little carebear. My next dck birthday is Monday and since I’m already spending what I normally do on my nieces and nephews she’s not getting a daycare present.

For Christmas last year I found a shop on Etsy that had different holiday plush animals and she ironed on their names. Cost me about $8 per child. This year I think I am doing pajamas and possibly a storybook.

Every parent so far has brought in a treat for everyone.
How old are the kids that you bought the plush animals for? I would love to do something like that for Christmas I did the mini pillow pets one year and they loved them. Maybe even a little blanket with their name on it. How did you find it on Etsy?
storybookending 08:54 AM 11-02-2017
How old are the kids that you bought the plush animals for? I would love to do something like that for Christmas I did the mini pillow pets one year and they loved them. Maybe even a little blanket with their name on it. How did you find it on Etsy?
They were all ages. The 6 I had enrolled ranged in ages from 5 months to 5 years and then I did one extra for the older sister of one of the 2 year olds as I had her that previous summer. I’ll attach the photo below

I just went on Etsy and searched personalized Christmas plush or something like that.. I can look for the exact shop I used during naptime and PM you if interested.
Attached: FC9CB0E5-76F5-4303-81A4-26E52C13CF91.jpeg (257.9 KB) 
daycarediva 09:06 AM 11-02-2017
I buy $1 books in mass amounts from scholastic. Every time they have $1 book option, I get at least 10. I give them out for birthdays, easter, christmas, halloween, you name it.

That's it.

For birthdays I do a treat of that child's choosing, and we sing happy birthday after PM snack. They get a crown and get to pick things that day.

I love to do PJ's at christmas, but only if I can find a great sale. Carters didn't have enough in their last $6/8 sale, so many Children's place will before christmas.
lovemykidstoo 09:25 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
They were all ages. The 6 I had enrolled ranged in ages from 5 months to 5 years and then I did one extra for the older sister of one of the 2 year olds as I had her that previous summer. I’ll attach the photo below

I just went on Etsy and searched personalized Christmas plush or something like that.. I can look for the exact shop I used during naptime and PM you if interested.
Oh my gosh those are adorable! yes if you could find the shop I'd love it thank you!
lovemykidstoo 09:26 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I buy $1 books in mass amounts from scholastic. Every time they have $1 book option, I get at least 10. I give them out for birthdays, easter, christmas, halloween, you name it.

That's it.

For birthdays I do a treat of that child's choosing, and we sing happy birthday after PM snack. They get a crown and get to pick things that day.

I love to do PJ's at christmas, but only if I can find a great sale. Carters didn't have enough in their last $6/8 sale, so many Children's place will before christmas.
I love the book idea too, but then I hear my parents all the time saying how many books they have. Do I care? hmmmm lol
Miss A 09:40 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

That's it.

I got an email yesterday that children's place is having a 75% off sale now
Jupadia 10:44 AM 11-02-2017
I don't do a daycare birthday gift, but my kids go to the do kids birthdays and they come to my kids birthdays cause their all the same ages. I do spend around $30 each kid then. If my kids aren't going to the party then I don't worry about spending as much and give the child stickers and a small book (under $5).

Christmas I spend about $10 each. I look for sales and grab a gift then.
sharlan 11:20 AM 11-02-2017
Call me Scrooge, after 30 years of taking the kids to Chuck E Cheese or McDonald's, plus buying gifts, I quit. I always made a big deal on their birthdays.

I don't have a single parent that appreciates my effort, the kids don't care.

I don't have a single parent that acknowledges my birthday, Christmas, or any other holiday.
Unregistered 01:41 PM 11-02-2017
We sing Happy Birthday before snack and that's it for their birthdays. I do like to get them a Christmas gift. Last year I gave them each a $10 gift card to the movie theater along with a box of $1 candy in a cute popcorn box. I don't think opening it was very exciting for them, but I loved hearing about what movies they went to see and who went with them. Some the entire family went and some just had a "Mom and Me" day. Good way to push family time!
rosieteddy 03:12 PM 11-02-2017
For birthdays I let them pick lunch we have cupcakes at snack and a small gift from me.Usually under 10 for birthdays,Christmas pj,s ,book movie and treats -popcorn or crackers.
rosieteddy 03:49 PM 11-02-2017
For birthdays I let them pick lunch we have cupcakes at snack and a small gift from me.Usually under 10 for birthdays,Christmas pj,s ,book movie and treats -popcorn or crackers.
Ladybugs 04:50 PM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Call me Scrooge, after 30 years of taking the kids to Chuck E Cheese or McDonald's, plus buying gifts, I quit. I always made a big deal on their birthdays.

I don't have a single parent that appreciates my effort, the kids don't care.

I don't have a single parent that acknowledges my birthday, Christmas, or any other holiday.
That’s sad; I’m sorry they don’t acknowledge you. 😕
Ladybugs 04:52 PM 11-02-2017
I get them a card and a small gift for birthdays, a holiday related book for Halloween, Valentine’s Day, and Easter, and a gift for Christmas. I enjoy doing it and I stock up when I see a good deal.
Jupadia 05:30 PM 11-02-2017
Forgot to add as well. I do do mini cupcakes (unless parent brings in treat), we sing happy birthday then. As well I have a bunch of stickers that light up and flash that read birthday boy / girl.
kendallina 06:19 PM 11-02-2017
I have a birthday book basket that the children can choose a book from. I write a little personalized note in it. We read the book and sing happy birthday. I also have a ridiculously huge birthday cake hat that the child can wear for the day.
AmyKidsCo 07:59 PM 11-02-2017
I usually buy them a $10-15 Melissa and Doug toy and make a birthday treat if their parents don't bring one. It's tax deductible, and I like picking out something each child will enjoy.
LK5kids 11:10 PM 11-02-2017
I have always had a birthday box. I have it filled with items from $ Tree. The box and lid are wrapped with birthday paper (computer paper box).

The kids love that big box of little gifts. They are very serious as they look through everything! Big decision!! It's such a small investment and they have so much fun with that treasure box!

We sing Happy Birthday and I have Hap Palmer's CD that has the song "Welcome To The Earth Day"! Such a cute song! It might be on you tube! I should look.

That's it.
LK5kids 11:25 PM 11-02-2017
It's called " Celebrate The Day" and I can't find it on you tube. Thought it would be there!
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 11-03-2017
Those pjs at Children's Place are pretty cute! Do they tend to be warm enough for little ones who aren't covered up at night? I checked the site out last night and I found 50% off but nothing about 75%? However, it's still a deal.
Closest store is 80 miles which I can't get to anytime soon.
DaveA 03:33 AM 11-03-2017
I don't get the kids anything. I ask the child what he would like for snacks on his birthday. It's inevitably something we wouldn't normally have- cookies, cupcakes, etc. Add in singing Happy Birthday and that's as far as I go.
Indoorvoice 06:21 AM 11-03-2017
I let the child pick what they want for lunch. We do a special treat and sing happy birthday. They get to make a crown to wear all day and the kids make the birthday kid a card. No gifts.
Play Care 06:33 AM 11-03-2017
At most they get a special PM snack and we sing Happy Birthday. When I first started out I had families that came from a retired provider who had gone all out for every holiday - and they expected me to as well. Well, I had two young kids of my own and no time to shop around looking for bargains. I was happy when those kids aged out of care
For Christmas this year I am making homemade play-doh and getting them each a $1 Christmas book. Cute, but not a lot of time or $$.
Tags:birthdays
Reply Up