Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holiday Weekend
B Lou 07:02 AM 05-22-2012
Why is it that some parents believe that they deserve to have a three day weekend, but get upset because you're closed on Monday?
Don't we deserve a break also? But if we take the Hloiday off then who will take care of their child for them? I mean how dare us expect for them to take charge of their own children for a change. WOW. I think that's called parenting.
DaisyMamma 07:22 AM 05-22-2012
It's crazy.
And if you are open on a day they have off then the kids are there, right on time and all day long.
I don't even like my SA daughter to be gone all day long at school! I'm looking forward to our 3 day weekend and even one day this week when she has a DR appt., because she will stay home that day! LOL. My kids are my life and it makes me sad for kids who are dropped at DC when parents are home. I do, however, have parents who can't wait to see their kids and rush here after work!
littlemissmuffet 07:33 AM 05-22-2012
This is why I take off all stats with pay. I have also alloted myself 5 paid sick/personal days and 2 weeks paid vacation. It's in my handbook, contract and a schedule is sent out every January for the upcoming year (excluding sick days, of course). This way, there is no room for argument and no room for the guilt trips these lazy parents try to lay on us.

It's simply not my problem when a parent can't find alternative care - that's your job, not mine. I do enough day in and day out for these families.

I don't allow my parents to make me feel bad when I close. You knew the deal when you signed up, you don't like it, there's the door... and please, don't disrespect me again.
DaisyMamma 07:58 AM 05-22-2012
Exactly. I actually find it comical when they try to play dumb for something clearly listed in my contract. I just remind them and politely offer yet another copy of my policies.
countrymom 08:33 AM 05-22-2012
I have to agree, luckily everyone had yesterday off, but typically its not like this. I just don't understand why parents don't want to spend time with their kids.
beachgrl 09:40 AM 05-22-2012
I give myself several regular holidays (including mem day, yay!...hoping it will be a beach day for me to enjoy), 5 paid sick days, and 2 weeks unpaid vaca...but am seriously thinking of changing the unpaid vaca to paid in my next update of my policies. two of my dcf actually paid me for the vaca bc they forgot what my contract said, and of course when I told them that it was unpaid..they applied the amount to the current week but at least I was honest and reminded them.
littlemissmuffet 10:15 AM 05-22-2012
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
I give myself several regular holidays (including mem day, yay!...hoping it will be a beach day for me to enjoy), 5 paid sick days, and 2 weeks unpaid vaca...but am seriously thinking of changing the unpaid vaca to paid in my next update of my policies. two of my dcf actually paid me for the vaca bc they forgot what my contract said, and of course when I told them that it was unpaid..they applied the amount to the current week but at least I was honest and reminded them.
All of my parents have 2-4 weeks of paid vacation - most of my families are 2 parent homes, so that's a total of AT LEAST 4 weeks of paid time off between the two parents. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for my parents to complain that I'm taking 2 weeks paid time off.

Sometimes we have to look at things a little diffrently to not feel so bad
DCMom 11:22 AM 05-22-2012
I don't let the parents' attitudes about my time off bother me anymore. Just smile sweetly and say 'Enjoy your weekend, see you Tuesday!'

Parents are fully aware of paid holidays and vacation days when they sign up. I give it to them in January for the entire year. Last summer, I overheard two part-time parents bragging to each other how they were so clever to set up the days they work in order avoid paying for the days that daycare is closed. I usually take the Friday before Memorial & Labor Days. I re-thought my summer days off this year, since I don't have kids to get back for school...I took the Tuesdays after Memorial and Labor Day off this year. Threw my full-timers for a loop, but it was worth it to see the looks on the two part timers faces and the part-timers that fill in the back side of the week are happy too!

I'm kinda looking forward to no traffic on the way home from the cabin on Tuesday
momma2girls 06:09 AM 05-23-2012
It is called parenting. I have one family that has never, (except for sibling being sick, but they brought the other sibling to me anyways) I have never had one day off from this family this entire yr. I know the Mo and Father have many days off, but they choose to bring their children to me every single day! What gets to me the most is, they are off, in shorts, not dress clothes, and they bring their children to me, the same drop off time and pick up exactly at pick up time or min. late!!! UGHHH!!!!!! I changed some wording in my contract for next yr. and this family will not like it at all!!!!
LittleCrawfishCC 07:21 AM 05-23-2012
Are y'all having any issues with part timers thinking it is unfair for a paid holiday?
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by LittleCrawfishCC:
Are y'all having any issues with part timers thinking it is unfair for a paid holiday?
ALL families pay for certain holidays I have off....why should part timers feel they are excluded from that rule? I make it VERY clear during the interview and in my handbook, which holidays I take off and that ALL families pay for those days.

Like DCMom, I never let any parent make me feel guilty about paid or unpaid time off.....I close when I close and that is that. I really get no grief about it from anyone.
momma2girls 07:40 AM 05-23-2012
I place my paid vac. and paid Holidays the same for PT children. I have not had any Part-timers in about 3 yrs. I am only taking fulltime.
Countrygal 07:41 AM 05-23-2012
I am so blessed that both of my families get major holidays off! I can relate to people needing daycare on holidays, as I have worked most of my life in service jobs. I worked most holidays and weekends. But I would never have chosen a daycare that would not take dgs on them. I do have back-up dc now for him (not for dck), but I didn't for a long time. It's hard, esp. when you are a single parent with an uninvolved "ex-partner". So I can definitely empathize. Having been there myself, I will take children on holidays, but am going to up my rate for them in the near future.
MarinaVanessa 08:20 AM 05-23-2012
I forgot to post my reminder for next Monday's holiday (I always post a notice on the door and on the board at least 2 weeks in advance) and didn't remember about it until yesterday. I was dreading having to talk to my DCP's because I always remind them ahead of time (even though it's in my contract AND handbook). So I talked to them each yesterday and wouldn't ya know ... they ALL said that they remembered and for me not to worry about it.

Maybe it's because of my past experiences with clients but I really thought I'd have at least some resistance but then I remembered that I cleaned house a while back and got rid of my bad apples and now I have great families. It really makes me appreciate them all the more when yesterday afternoon DCM calls to tell me that DCG (who only comes W,Th,F) won't be coming in today because she pooped a little soft so she wants to keep her home today to make sure that it doesn't turn into diarrhea .

I'm going to relish and appreciate my situation because I know that this can't possibly last forever . For the rest if you that are being complained to ... hang in there ... and when Monday rolls around take a second to make yourself a cocktail, take a sip and then relish the moment of it being a Monday and your house is completely DCKless ... then do a snazzy little monkey dance and holler with joy. The neighbors and the rest of your family may think you've gone a little crazy but hey ... we all understand here .
momma2girls 08:50 AM 05-23-2012
If I didnt take paid Holidays and paid vacation days off each yr. I wouldn't ever receive a day off. That is SO SAD!!!! I have one family for sure, that would bring their child or children to me everyday!!!
LittleCrawfishCC 09:48 AM 05-23-2012
Sorry for hijacking the thread! I had a pt parent tell me that she thought it was unfair to pay me for monday since she was part time, and didn't understand why her rate is high (9yr sa boy, m-f 7-11, I charge $70, b/a care is $65 week, regular full time sa is $100) I also don't give a discount for b/a, because I have a certain few spots, and they pay full, weather they come or not or just come before, not after. So she thought it was unfair. Like I told her things used to be different, I don't do special anymore, and if she thought it was unfair she could go somewhere else. So it started my day off horrible! But my other pt DCB mom texted me telling me how grateful she was and how i deserved to take Monday off with pay, and asked if she could bring DCB a extra day with extra pay! I can't seem to get these parents! I wish they understood, especially while part time is higher than full time!
B Lou 10:06 AM 05-23-2012
OK mime aren't even paid holidays. I don't charge for holiday or vacation(either mine or theirs. That way I'm so shocked that these parents get upset.
I have their children late some nights or ve3ry long days. So way are they upset because I'm taken the holiday off? They're taken it off with pay. But still want me to have their children.
momma2girls 11:05 AM 05-23-2012
I think everyone, and I mean everyone, no matter what they do- deserve a paid vac. and paid Holidays!! We do not receive any other kind of benefits at all.
LittleCrawfishCC 12:45 PM 05-23-2012
I totally agree, at this time I only take paid holidays
Tags:extended weekend, memorial day
Reply Up