Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Music Question
NightOwl 01:02 PM 04-07-2015
I'm really over the standard, cutesy songs you find on Preschool cds. I have a Jack Hartman album that the kids really like because it's so different, set to hip hop. Any other favorites that your kids like? Anything different or off the beaten path?
DaveA 04:04 AM 04-08-2015
I haven't bought the CD yet, but the kid's music channel I turn on during naptime has songs from Cheech Marin. It's actually pretty good.
NightOwl 04:44 AM 04-08-2015
I'll look that one up. I spent an hour on amazon music yesterday sampling the kids music and I swear, it all sounds the same. Lol.
sahm1225 04:49 AM 04-08-2015
I use pandora. I have the traditional stations, then a 60s & 70s greatest hits one they I put on when I'm done with kids music.
AuntTami 04:53 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I use pandora. I have the traditional stations, then a 60s & 70s greatest hits one they I put on when I'm done with kids music.
Same here, but I put on country music from the 90's and 2000's cuz I'm a youngin'.

Hands down favorite song in this house right now? "Shake it off" by Taylor swift... Yeah that's what kind of daycare I run lol. My 4 year old DCG knows the entire chorus. Oops
Rockgirl 05:06 AM 04-08-2015
Pandora for me, too. And I generally don't like "kiddie" music. I found a station called "Children's Indie". It's songs that are appropriate for kids, but enjoyable for me...Beatles, Bob Marley, Imagine Dragons, Jack Johnson....there is a song here and there off of a kids' music album, but never anything even slightly resembling "Itsy bitsy spider" or anything like that.
DaveA 05:13 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
but never anything even slightly resembling "Itsy bitsy spider" or anything like that.
Little Richard singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider is on the kids channel. Cracks me up every time. Trout Fishing In America is fun also. Frog Trouble by Sandra Boynton is another good one.
Rockgirl 06:03 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Little Richard singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider is on the kids channel. Cracks me up every time.
That is a fun and lively version!
spinnymarie 06:19 AM 04-08-2015
We do the Pandora Kids Bop station. Most of the songs they're already listening to on the radio, but with more appropriate lyrics
They all love dancing!
NightOwl 06:27 AM 04-08-2015
I have sirius and I'm not sure if they have a kiss station. I'll have to flip through to see. I love the learning songs like days of the week, apples and bananas, etc, but all the other fluff keeps me from buying the albums they're on. I guess I could buy the songs individually... The really popular stuff around here right now is Elton John, Johnny Cash, 2 Cellos, Meghan Trainor, Bruno Mars, etc. The clean versions, of course.
NeedaVaca 06:55 AM 04-08-2015
Little Miss Ann, I love her stuff, it's different. She's very popular in Chicago and has Cd's or you can check out youtube videos.
Stephnrich 07:08 AM 04-08-2015
Eric Herman and the Invisible Band and Elizabeth Mitchell are good ones.
LysesKids 08:14 AM 04-08-2015
Pandora for me, too. And I generally don't like "kiddie" music. I found a station called "Children's Indie". It's songs that are appropriate for kids, but enjoyable for me...Beatles, Bob Marley, Imagine Dragons, Jack Johnson....there is a song here and there off of a kids' music album, but never anything even slightly resembling "Itsy bitsy spider" or anything like that.
This is me lol... I switch the music daily just like my menus; My babies listen to stuff like Zydeco and Zen too ( Zen is great for nap time).
Rockgirl 09:21 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
This is me lol... I switch the music daily just like my menus; My babies listen to stuff like Zydeco and Zen too ( Zen is great for nap time).
I will try those! I use the yoga station sometimes when I want to calm things down a bit.
Sugar Magnolia 09:44 AM 04-08-2015
We listen to stuff I like, because it helps with my happiness too. They enjoy it. Grateful Dead, especially Aiko Aiko, Franklin's Tower and The Music Never Stopped. Bob Marley is popular here too, but I DO SKIP OVER I Shot the Sheriff. Lol. I tried some Spingsteen on them, but they didn't connect, so we skip that now. Nothing w bad lyrics or too heavy. I like it, they like it, everyone is happy.

"Kiddie Tunes" make me wanna gouge my eyes out. Fun to sing on our own, but recorded kiddie tunes......never again. Lol
NoMoreJuice! 10:22 AM 04-08-2015
I have a Spotify playlist full of broadway songs that my kids are addicted to! Right now our favorite song is My Favorite Things. Close second is Maybe from the Annie soundtrack. I love the entire Hello Dolly soundtrack myself.
Rockgirl 10:44 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
We listen to stuff I like, because it helps with my happiness too. They enjoy it. Grateful Dead, especially Aiko Aiko, Franklin's Tower and The Music Never Stopped. Bob Marley is popular here too, but I DO SKIP OVER I Shot the Sheriff. Lol. I tried some Spingsteen on them, but they didn't connect, so we skip that now. Nothing w bad lyrics or too heavy. I like it, they like it, everyone is happy.

"Kiddie Tunes" make me wanna gouge my eyes out. Fun to sing on our own, but recorded kiddie tunes......never again. Lol
One thing I like about Grateful Dead is that if you play the live stuff, they stretch those songs out a long, long time. A song might last 30 minutes with just beautiful music, and no lyrics to worry about.

I have a two year old girl--her dad plays/sings in a local rock band. Any Bob Marley song that comes on, she runs over to the docking station to look at the screen on my phone and says, "What is this song?" She already knows she likes his sound--I think that's pretty cool!
VTMom 11:51 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I have a Spotify playlist full of broadway songs that my kids are addicted to! Right now our favorite song is My Favorite Things. Close second is Maybe from the Annie soundtrack. I love the entire Hello Dolly soundtrack myself.
I have a Spotify playlist too. I mixed it up with kid songs, some of the popular (already checked lyrics) songs that the kids know/love, Beastie Boys instrumental, Grateful Dead, etc. It's a nice mix and my parents have actually really complimented me on it. One DCD overheard an 8 year old humming a Phish tune and he was thrilled! Yup... we have that, along with Frank Sinatra, Kids Bop, Neil Young, and anything else that you can think of! I think of it as exposure to all kinds of music, coupled with saving my sanity!
Sugar Magnolia 12:08 PM 04-08-2015
One thing I like about Grateful Dead is that if you play the live stuff, they stretch those songs out a long, long time. A song might last 30 minutes with just beautiful music, and no lyrics to worry about.

I have a two year old girl--her dad plays/sings in a local rock band. Any Bob Marley song that comes on, she runs over to the docking station to look at the screen on my phone and says, "What is this song?" She already knows she likes his sound--I think that's pretty cool!
Yeah, a Help/Slip/Franklin's is an easy half hour. Twiiiiirrrrrlllll. I only do live recordings. Lol. 52 shows. I ACTUALLY PLAY CASSETTES, my group definitely knows that cassettes mean music. Lol
Sugar Magnolia 12:11 PM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by VTMom:
I have a Spotify playlist too. I mixed it up with kid songs, some of the popular (already checked lyrics) songs that the kids know/love, Beastie Boys instrumental, Grateful Dead, etc. It's a nice mix and my parents have actually really complimented me on it. One DCD overheard an 8 year old humming a Phish tune and he was thrilled! Yup... we have that, along with Frank Sinatra, Kids Bop, Neil Young, and anything else that you can think of! I think of it as exposure to all kinds of music, coupled with saving my sanity!
Right on sister! Intergalatic Planetaryyyyyyy
KSDC 08:43 PM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
This is my DC too - except I use Pandora.
NightOwl 04:09 PM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:

Yes you do! Remember the video you sent me of the kids dancing to Sweet Home Alabama? I still have it.
Tags:music, pandora
Reply Up