Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Time
melissa ann 03:58 AM 04-15-2011
I close at 5pm. Which to me, lights out, doors locked at 5pm. G-pa has been pulling up about 5-10 mins till 5. Walks across the street to pick up 5 yr old g-son from a center, then comes over to get his 2 youngest g-kids. So he's been getting here right at 5. Wed it was like 5:03. Weds are the worst. He knows my dd has ballet at 5:30. We need to get there about 5:25 so she can get ready, shoes etc, We walk there, it takes about 5 mins. But, after the kids leave, I have to feed/take out our dog, feed our cat.
I'm thinking of changing my closing time to 4:45.
He couldn't go into a store at 9 if the store closes at 9. Stores ususally cut off people 5-10 mins before closing
lil angels 04:23 AM 04-15-2011
I would do all of that before he got there and then have her ready to go and then say hay i gotta go off the dance class see ya. That or put out a note with late fees that are steep then maybe he will pick up his step a little bit.
TBird 04:31 AM 04-15-2011
I'd just say to be ready to walk out the door (and tell him to be on time of course).

I'd love to figure out the phenomenon that causes daycare parents to show up late on the EXACT DAY that you tell them you really need them to be on time because you have a class or a family obligation. It really makes me wonder if they do it on purpose....hate to think that way though...
SunflowerMama 04:36 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I would do all of that before he got there and then have her ready to go and then say hay i gotta go off the dance class see ya. That or put out a note with late fees that are steep then maybe he will pick up his step a little bit.
That's what we do. I close at 5p too. We have gymnastics on Tuesday at 5:30 so my girls get in their little outfits so when parents pick up it's a little reminder that we're heading out.
morgan24 04:43 AM 04-15-2011
I would just come right out and ask him to pick them up first because I have a busy night and need to get going? I like to put them on the spot sometimes. Usually they don't have a reason why they can't.
AfterSchoolMom 04:47 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
I'd love to figure out the phenomenon that causes daycare parents to show up late on the EXACT DAY that you tell them you really need them to be on time because you have a class or a family obligation. It really makes me wonder if they do it on purpose....hate to think that way though...

Yes, this! I've asked parents to be on time for a particular reason ONCE this year, and EVERY SINGLE ONE were late that day.

Melissa Ann, maybe be all ready, dressed, with purse on arm, etc. and waiting outside when it's pickup time? Though, I don't know if that sort of thing would send a message to that ridiculous G-pa.
Meyou 04:59 AM 04-15-2011
I close at 5:30 and any kids left at 5:20 get dressed for outside at that time and we wait in the driveway for parents. I give them their kids as they open the door of their car. I had alot of the 2-5 minutes late when I knew they should easily be here on time. Alot were stopping at the grocery store around the corner from me without kids.

I would have the grandkids dressed and outside when he pulls up across the street and walk them across to him when he tries to get the other child first. I would also mention at that time that I close at 5pm in case there is some confusion so I've taken the liberty of getting the kids ready THIS TIME but please be on time tomorrow.
MarinaVanessa 06:30 AM 04-15-2011
I leave and take their kids with me. I don't bother to call either. If they can't be bothered to be on time or to at least tell me that they're running late then I won't bother waiting until they show up. I leave a note on the door and go and wait for their "Um, where's my child?" phone call. Then they have to come to where I am to get their child and pay the late fee until they actually get there to pick the child up.

Maybe you might want to think about doing this? Keep in mind though that I have this in my policies and that I have a signed form that allows me to transport their kids in my car. I've only had to do this a few times but I find that after the 2nd time (max) they get the point
Evansmom 06:33 AM 04-15-2011
I get everyone ready to walk out the door including me with purse in hand and when they walk out the door we walk out with them and get in our car to leave. Usually makes a statement.

Though I know you can't do that if you have to walk the dog first.
momofboys 06:36 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I would just come right out and ask him to pick them up first because I have a busy night and need to get going? I like to put them on the spot sometimes. Usually they don't have a reason why they can't.
I like this!
kidkair 06:40 AM 04-15-2011
When you see g-pa pull up get the kids ready to go and stand outside with them so that when g-pa is walking up you can give him the kids and say bye then walk right back inside and lock the door. Follow any policy you have for charging a late pick up fee and let him know right when he's late.
DancingQueen 09:19 AM 04-15-2011
Fridays I have to leave the second my last 4:30 pick up gets here to get my son to his dance classes.

I usually have my car started and my kids buckled and watching a video when dad pulls up at 4:30. I hand em over and then I have one dad that meets me at the dance studio (because I do him a favor and keep her later than all the rest - so he has no choice)
He is in the parking lot when I pull in and I hand her over.

I do everything I can ahead of time.
Feed pets, let out pets, pack snacks, feed kids - anything I can do ahead of time I do.
wdmmom 10:21 AM 04-15-2011
I would send a friendly reminder that I close at 5pm and that means children need to be picked up and gone (as in out of the driveway) by 5pm with no exceptions. I would explain that several nights a week, you have places that require your attendance so punctual departures are necessary.
Cat Herder 10:58 AM 04-15-2011
I had a short string of late-ish pick-ups and put a note on the door that said :

"Just a reminder that pickup time is BY 6pm, not AT 6pm. Thank you for you prompt attention to this matter.

Please note that all children here past 6pm will be given a Mountain Dew and free puppy. Your local animal shelter appreciates your support!"

I got lots of laughs and a couple apologies. It does help that they know I foster for the local shelter and am a "Dew" addict...
Missani 12:11 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
When you see g-pa pull up get the kids ready to go and stand outside with them so that when g-pa is walking up you can give him the kids and say bye then walk right back inside and lock the door. Follow any policy you have for charging a late pick up fee and let him know right when he's late.
I've tried this and it didn't work. I close at 5:30 and had a dr. appt. a couple of weeks ago at 6:00 AND I had to pick up a baby-sitter first for my own kids. No phone call, no pick up at 5:45!!!! DCG's jacket was on, my kids' jackets were on, my purse was in my hand, and we were on the driveway when DCD finally pulled in. His response, "Oh, were they playing outside? Is that why they have jackets on?" I've GOT to do something about late pickups!!! (Oh, and for the record I was REALLY late to the dr. appt. because I got a SPEEDING ticket on my way to picking up the baby-sitter!!!!)

[quote=Catherder;105182]I had a short string of late-ish pick-ups and put a note on the door that said :

"Just a reminder that pickup time is BY 6pm, not AT 6pm. Thank you for you prompt attention to this matter.

Please note that all children here past 6pm will be given a Mountain Dew and free puppy. Your local animal shelter appreciates your support!"

Very funny, Catherder! I said I had to do something about the late pick ups... I think I like it!!
Evansmom 12:24 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I had a short string of late-ish pick-ups and put a note on the door that said :

I got lots of laughs and a couple apologies. It does help that they know I foster for the local shelter and am a "Dew" addict...
I like this! I saw a similar sign once that said unattended children would be given an espresso and a free puppy
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 04-15-2011
On the subject of funny signs; I have one that says,
Daycare Policy
Satisfaction guaranteed
or
double your kids back!

To the OP, why not have a really big late fee and enforce it. Money seems to solve most* of life's problems.

* not all.
Kaddidle Care 02:46 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Please note that all children here past 6pm will be given a Mountain Dew and free puppy. Your local animal shelter appreciates your support!"I got lots of laughs and a couple apologies. It does help that they know I foster for the local shelter and am a "Dew" addict...
That's GREAT!
Live and Learn 02:52 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I'm thinking of changing my closing time to 4:45.
This would be best. Then USE a very expensive late pick up fee every time!
melissa ann 03:35 PM 04-15-2011
I do have the dcks ready to go and mine as well. We are standing at the door. I mentioned before, that I don't do childcare in my "living" area. It's in the 1st floor apt and I live on the other half of house. So, I have to go over there to feed my dog and let her in the yard, and feed the cat as well.
I'm thinking of chaning my rate to what time the kids get picked up. I bet they would get out of here before 5.
I like the kids, but by 4 even, they are ready to go home and they know that g-pa is home, just doing other things.
daycare 03:39 PM 04-15-2011
I think that Nannyde has a wonderful set up with the way that she charges. I think if you were to adapt something like she has you would be really happy. I can't recall what post it is in, but she listed on here how she increase her rates "I think" about every 15min or half hour. The later the kids stay the more the parents pay.
EX: if they stay until 3pm its a flat rate, then after 3pm the rates start to increase.
Abigail 06:26 PM 04-15-2011
To the OP, what time does your second-to-last get picked up? I would see nothing wrong with closing at 4:45 pm if it will be a good fit. Does grandpa always pick up the kids? I can understand about getting the one older child first because it's one child and older who is more likely to listen to grandpa. I hope he is able to handle three kids himself and isn't held responsible for those kids all the time instead of the parents. I would remind him to be here and pickup by 5:00 OR just decide now you are changing your hours to 4:45 PM with a $1/minute late fee starting at 4:50 pm. I also would feed your pet and do what you need to do before the last pickup because they could be doing table activities while you prepare for your evening for a few minutes.
Tags:closing time
Reply Up