Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Little Over The Top?
Unregistered 11:39 AM 05-04-2011
Wow, I am a little suprised. I was reading thru a handbook that someone had posted on here, and it says what kind of laundry soap, and bath products you can and can't use for your kids? Seriously?
squareone 08:15 PM 05-04-2011
The only thing I can think of would be that the provider or one of the other daycare children has a serious allergy. I am very allergic to many things. I don't have anything in my handbook but would certainly tell a parent I was allergic to a particular product that they used on their child and request that they switch.
Unregistered 08:37 PM 05-04-2011
I am a registered user but it wont let me log in. I also don't run a daycare right now. like the pp I am severely allergic to many things. the people I am in constant contact with know this and are kind and don't use the things that im allergic too. if I were to open a daycare (which I plan to in the future) I would be the same way that who ever the op is talking about. in the past I've had very little contact with certain things and have had to be rushed to the hospital. so I can understand having that kind of thing in a handbook.
Live and Learn 08:39 PM 05-04-2011
Allergies are a common problem in our society.

The provider is probably trying to provide a safe environment for a certain child or children with allergies.

I don't have any children with allergies currently but we did have to go nut free for awhile (my dc families provide their own lunches). We all agreed to do this for the health of one dc child.

Well worth the effort!

I am assuming you are a daycare parent and not a provider. The nice thing about these daycare policies is as a parent you can decide for yourself whether or not it is worth it to you to make small accommodations for the health of the entire daycare group.
nannyde 02:34 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Wow, I am a little suprised. I was reading thru a handbook that someone had posted on here, and it says what kind of laundry soap, and bath products you can and can't use for your kids? Seriously?
That would be me.

I'm allergic to perfumes.

If a child comes with any kind of scent on him I have to refuse him at the door.
melskids 02:39 AM 05-05-2011
um, yeah...seriously.

its not in my handbook, but i have one child who will go into an asthma attack if he just smells candles or housespray. so i can't use it here.

my mothers DR does too. he yelled at her for coming in to the office drowned in her perfume...lol
Michael 02:58 AM 05-05-2011
I am a registered user but it wont let me log in. I also don't run a daycare right now. like the pp I am severely allergic to many things. the people I am in constant contact with know this and are kind and don't use the things that im allergic too. if I were to open a daycare (which I plan to in the future) I would be the same way that who ever the op is talking about. in the past I've had very little contact with certain things and have had to be rushed to the hospital. so I can understand having that kind of thing in a handbook.
What is your username?
Meyou 03:53 AM 05-05-2011
I'm allergic as well. One child with perfume on them from a hug from mom can make me miserable for several days.
AnythingsPossible 05:50 AM 05-05-2011
That would truly suck. I enjoy different scents and smell good things. I have one little guy that I love hugging in the morning cause his momma wears the best perfume! If a child couldn't be around scents, I wouldn't feel comfortable having them in my home as I wouldn't want to change everything in my life for one dck. I enjoy perfume, lotion and my scentsy.
daysofelijah 06:05 AM 05-05-2011
My dcm came in bathed in perfume this morning. I nearly got a headache in the 2 minutes she was in here. I hope none of her dental patients are allergic to perfume!
nannyde 06:10 AM 05-05-2011
You must be referring to this:

It is my first policy in my policy handbook.

General but important information:

Due to a very serious allergy to most perfumes and fragrances, parents and children may not enter the day care at any time wearing any kind of perfume, after shave, lotion, or scents. PLEASE make sure your child does not have perfume or scents on them when coming to day care. If we notice a scent upon arrival we will request the child be taken home to remove the scent. Parents are requested to avoid using scented detergents, lotions, or soaps on the child or the child's clothing. Johnson and Johnson baby products and Equate baby products are allowed. Tide, Dreft, All, Cheer, and Whisk are also okay for laundry detergents. If you can use the "Free" scented laundry soap it would be best.
wdmmom 06:19 AM 05-05-2011
If you selected the provider, you would be made aware of this ahead of time and you would accommodate it.

If not, how would you feel about yourself if YOU were the one responsible for your provider having serious reactions?!

If you are talking about Nannyde, I used this provider!!! And would again in a heartbeat! If I was wearing any spritz, I would hand my child off at the door and stay outside. Mission accomplished. No way I could deal with the guilt of making my provider ill and not having her be able to function 100% while watching my child!

There are a few things to fret about when it comes to selecting a provider. If you are going to hold an allergy against someone, that's pretty shallow!
momatheart 06:43 AM 05-05-2011
One child has a detergent that mom uses that just reeks and his blanket for nap time is so heavily scented when it comes back on Monday that I get a headache if I smell it. Infact the cot ontop of his or under his will pick up the scent.

Some detergents smell bad not a good bad but almost like an old dry urine smell bad. OK I know that is gross but that is how we all describe it at work too.

My coworkers all get effected by scents. We have a scent policy in our handbook
WDW 07:24 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
One child has a detergent that mom uses that just reeks and his blanket for nap time is so heavily scented when it comes back on Monday that I get a headache if I smell it. Infact the cot ontop of his or under his will pick up the scent.

Some detergents smell bad not a good bad but almost like an old dry urine smell bad. OK I know that is gross but that is how we all describe it at work too.

My coworkers all get effected by scents. We have a scent policy in our handbook
I don't have a scent policy but I do have a DCB who has a blanket that smells just like that. It's awful! Ugh! What kind of scent policies do you all have? I hate how this blanket and clothes make my sheets and stuff smell... plus both DCP smoke and so there is that smell combined...
MarinaVanessa 07:34 AM 05-05-2011
I'm not allergic or anything but I agree about the strong scents of some detergents or smoking families and the headaches that they can bring in their clothing and blankets. I decided to provide all of my DCK's blankets for that very same reason. If I get a smoker family I always have a set or two of clothing handy here which I wash in dreft and just change the child when they get here and wash the clothing that they came in to use for the next day. I ALWAYS have something DC related to wash anyway ... blankets, cleaning towels, rugs etc. or my own kids laundry so it's easy for me to dump the clothing in with it.
AnythingsPossible 07:45 AM 05-05-2011
I guess the only scent policy that I have is that I will not watch children of people who smoke. I just can't stand that smell and don't want it in my house!
To the original poster, this is the joy of home daycare. Providers make their choice of what they can/will tolerate in their homes and parents choose if they can/will tolerate what we expect of them. It is all a matter of choice and personal preference and the accomadations a parent is willing to make to get the care they want for a child or the accomadation a provider will make to accept a child. I make accomadations for food allergies, but wouldn't for scent sesitivity. Personal preference!
daycare 07:46 AM 05-05-2011
My daughter is allergic to laundry soaps bath washes bubble baths spray on sents. Basically anything that smells.

Still today if one of her friends hug her and it makes contact with her skin she will break out in a horrible rash and will leave welt Luke marks all over her exposed skin.

I have to talk to the kids parents before they come over to make sure their child does not bring any of that in or on their bodies.
Sometimes we offer my daughters clothes so that when her friends sit on her bedroom furniture it doesn't rubb off. Yes she is that sensitive.

It's hard to avoid my daughter from coming into contact with it, but like nannyde I am doing everything to prevent it.
Tags:handbook, washing
Reply Up