Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rules
alyssyn 06:19 AM 01-11-2011
I am adding house rules to my handbook. How do most of you post your house rules? If you put them in your handbook do you also put a list somewhere that the parents can see them each day?
Also, what are some of your house rules? I don't want to leave out anything! Thanks!!
Unregistered 06:31 AM 01-11-2011
I have been doing DC for over 20 years and here is how I do house rules.

I have a contract that parents read and sign that they know how I do things and what I say in there is this about the house rules:

I do teach the kids how to respect my home, which includes the furniture, which includes not letting them jump on the couches, beds or decorative pillows that may be on the couches(which some parents have let their kids do at their own homes and think they can do that here, but NO they can't here, this is my home, not theirs)to respecting the house pets. I think sometimes you have to put things in your contract that may seem like it would be common sense for people, but parents sometimes have to have things spelled out in order for them to understand things.
You might have to just keep reminding the kids about what you expect out of them until they get it.
dEHmom 06:35 AM 01-11-2011
I wish I had a bit of a bigger house. I would love to use my back door for daycare entry/exit, but that requires them having to walk past my front door and through a ridiculously hard to open gate, plus usually walking past dogs, and sometimes dog poo *eww*. My front doorway is very tiny, and really nowhere to post things.
But I definitely am "planning" on posting my rules at the front doorway. Just so it's a reminder while parents are standing there. The rules will be imprinted in their mind and then less likely for things to happen. But It's hard to know which rules to post. All my daycare kids are too young to read, and just the parents reading it isn't going to reinforce their kids aren't going to jump on my furniture, etc.

I think the posting at the doorway is more so for the parents, at least with the age groups I have, so the signs would be more towards payments, hours, pickup/drop off policy etc.
MARSTELAC 06:48 AM 01-11-2011
My house rules are written in my handbook. They are not posted in my house for two reasons; 1) There is limited space for me to do so and 2) Although the dcps would see the rules every day, they would still act as if they had never even heard of such a rule when I enforce them and most of the children are too young to read them.

I do however discuss the rules frequently with the dcks as they seem to "forget" the rules quite often, especially when the dcps are present.

My house rules as written in my dc handbook are as follows:
- Always be respectful and kind
- Don't hurt anyone on purpose
- Help others if you can
- Clean up after yourself (if you are old enough)
- Speak to others the way you would like to be spoken to
- Use your manners (please, thank you, excuse me, etc.)
- Hands are for hugging, holding, eating... not hitting
- Take a bite, be polite
AnythingsPossible 06:50 AM 01-11-2011
Very basic house rules. NO RUNNING!!! (big one) Furniture is for sitting on. Treat everyone and everything nicely. That's really about it. I have them in my handbook, which no one reads but other then that, we talk about them when necessary. Not sure why it is so hard to walk not run, but it seems to be the biggest broken one. And they like to dive on the furniture, not so much jump on it, but more flop on it and roll off of it. That drives me batty!
dEHmom 06:54 AM 01-11-2011
HAHAHA i love when someone says "drive me BATTY"

Used to say that, but now I think I might officially be batty so it's more like "drove me to be permanently batty"
MARSTELAC 06:56 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
Very basic house rules. NO RUNNING!!! (big one) Furniture is for sitting on. Treat everyone and everything nicely. That's really about it. I have them in my handbook, which no one reads but other then that, we talk about them when necessary. Not sure why it is so hard to walk not run, but it seems to be the biggest broken one. And they like to dive on the furniture, not so much jump on it, but more flop on it and roll off of it. That drives me batty!
Those are the two biggest things at my dc as well! I just don't understand why they don't distinguish the difference between a trampoline and my furniture! And the fact that no one seems to read my handbook (which took me FOREVER to write) and then they are surprised when I point out that these rules are in fact in there.
DanceMom 07:01 AM 01-11-2011
I bought a huge poster board and wrote them in black marker and posted them on the inside of my front door. Anytime someone breaks a rule, we all go over and read them.

House Rules ~

- Play together and respect others with no pushing, grabbing, kicking, hitting, biting or spitting
- Please do not stand on, jump on or climb on any toys, tables or furniture
- Please use your quiet voice for inside - Loud voices are for outside
- Use your walking feet inside, running feet are for outside
- Please SHARE all toys and take turns
- No lifting or carrying or touching new babys or smaller children
- Clean up all toys when done playing
- HAVE FUN !!
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Those are the two biggest things at my dc as well! I just don't understand why they don't distinguish the difference between a trampoline and my furniture! And the fact that no one seems to read my handbook (which took me FOREVER to write) and then they are surprised when I point out that these rules are in fact in there.
I have a provider friend who added in a sentence in the middle of her hand book that says " If you read this statement, please tell me the secret word, which is 'DISCOUNT' and I will deduct $10 from your first bill."

She said NOT ONE SINGLE parent came to her with the secret word!!!!!!
I love the idea though.......
marniewon 07:07 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a provider friend who added in a sentence in the middle of her hand book that says " If you read this statement, please tell me the secret word, which is 'DISCOUNT' and I will deduct $10 from your first bill."

She said NOT ONE SINGLE parent came to her with the secret word!!!!!!
I love the idea though.......
Love it!! I'll have to use that next rewrite!
AfterSchoolMom 07:24 AM 01-11-2011
Here are mine:

Inside voices and walking feet at all times.

Keep your hands and feet to yourselves.

No insults, name calling, bad language, or potty talk (including "stupid" and "shut up").

No standing on, jumping on, throwing, or hitting with toys or furniture.

Clean up after each activity.

Respect "Afterschoolmom" and follow the rules!
Keri'sKids 07:37 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
You don't see furniture in a center for a reason. My DCK's are not allowed on the furniture. They can sit on the large thick rug on the floor just like at the centers or at a DC table. The few kid sized furniture I had they fought over so they are gone. I don't have any problems now. Most of the time they are outside playing anyway. This rule keeps the kids safe and my risk level low. I can't tell you just how many times a kid got hit by another to give up their spot on furniture or how many times they fell off by not using furniture right.
MarinaVanessa 08:17 AM 01-11-2011
The basis of my rules stem from 3 principles:
1) You can't hurt others
2) You can't hurt yourself
3) You can't hurt things

This way even leaving toys on the floor can be connected to these principles by explaining that when we leave toys on the floor we can trip and fall and get hurt etc.
lvt77 08:21 AM 01-11-2011
one of mine that i find my self repeating daily is feet stay on the floor........
AmandasFCC 08:36 AM 01-11-2011
I have rules for parents AND children listed in my handbook AND I have a poster made up for the kids of the rules. This is what it says in my handbook:

Rules for Children:
- Helping hands: we use our hands constructively to help people
- Listening ears : we listen to each other and especially to the provider
- Respectful voices: we say nice things, speak respectfully to each other, and ask politely for things
- Looking eyes: we are observant and pay attention to each other and to the provider
- Walking feet: we walk in the house and stay active
- You may not hurt yourself; you may not hurt others; you may not hurt things

Rules for Parents:

Children emulate what they see in their parents, and as such it is important that parents show the same level of respect as we expect from the children.

- Do not leave until your child’s shoes have been removed, the child is with the rest of the group, and you have updated me on any pertinent information – how your child slept, if there are any concerns or updates, etc.
- Be in control of your child when you are present and enforce my rules while in my home
- Respect the rules in this manual. I have spent a lot of time writing it so that you are aware of my policies and values.
- Ensure fees are paid ON TIME.
- Communicate with me your concerns and your successes.
- No smoking on property
- Parents will be held financially responsible for any major damages incurred by their child when the damage is not caused by normal playing behaviour
laundrymom 08:42 AM 01-11-2011
I have 2 rules.
1. Be nice
2. Use your manners

That covers about everything.
MarinaVanessa 11:30 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:

Rules for Children:
- Respectful voices: we say nice things, speak respectfully to each other, and ask politely for things
- Looking eyes: we are observant and pay attention to each other and to the provider
Hey, those are my rules

I LOVE the idea of making rules for the parents. I may steal that.
lvt77 01:19 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Love it!! I'll have to use that next rewrite!
hahahah how freakin funny, but true!!!!
This is why I send out friendly reminders each month. Reminding of a few things here and there.... I am so annyoing.....lol
Terri7 09:01 AM 01-12-2011
We go over the rules daily. No! they do not always follow through, I teach them to be respectful of my staff, myself, and the comfort items that are provided for them. The play things that are also provided for them to play with while they are in my care. Overall it works pretty well.
We focus on these rules they written in my handbook as well as gone over daily with the children in circle time.
No hitting, No shoving, or pushing. No taking back to assistants/provider.
Inside voices when we are inside. Loud voices are outside voices.
Running, jumping, is for outside. Inside we slow down and walk nicely.
We respect others, and others will respect us. We respect toys, crayons, paints, lets not forget to say please, thank you, no thank you and your welcome. I teach my staff and remind my self to lead by example.
I encourage my children to have fun, and interact with one another nicely. I prefer re-direction to a time-out. I have found time-out can bring on more drama and resentment in a child. However, if the behavior is out of control, someone might get hurt I will use a time-out.
My DC parents are so well informed about what goes on in my day care that they trust me to handle the situations that arise in my day care. If the behavior requires more than a re-direction or a couple of time-outs. I keep a time-out chart daily on that child and the parent is given a copy of that report daily. First I try to enroll the parent to help me with the child's behavior before I let my self get upset by the behavior. If the charts going home do not make a change and they turn into Citation Reports going home, I then make changes and explain to the parent that my day care is unable to meet these specific needs of their child. This behavior is unacceptable to the other DC parents and their children. They need to seek DC elsewhere and find a day care where there child's needs can be met. Where this child can have a more suitable and comfortable setting for him or her her to grow and thrive in.
mugglegirl 12:58 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
I have rules for parents AND children listed in my handbook AND I have a poster made up for the kids of the rules. This is what it says in my handbook:

Rules for Children:

Rules for Parents:

Children emulate what they see in their parents, and as such it is important that parents show the same level of respect as we expect from the children.

- Do not leave until your child’s shoes have been removed, the child is with the rest of the group, and you have updated me on any pertinent information – how your child slept, if there are any concerns or updates, etc.
- Be in control of your child when you are present and enforce my rules while in my home
- Respect the rules in this manual. I have spent a lot of time writing it so that you are aware of my policies and values.
- Ensure fees are paid ON TIME.
- Communicate with me your concerns and your successes.
- No smoking on property
- Parents will be held financially responsible for any major damages incurred by their child when the damage is not caused by normal playing behaviour
I was just looking for some "positive" rules to put in my handbook. All of mine currently start with "no" and I want to change that. Thanks for posting these!! And I love the rules for parents.
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 01-12-2011
NO spitting
NO whining

and for the kids: Make sure your parents pay on time!
sahm2three 01:14 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by alyssyn:
I am adding house rules to my handbook. How do most of you post your house rules? If you put them in your handbook do you also put a list somewhere that the parents can see them each day?
Also, what are some of your house rules? I don't want to leave out anything! Thanks!!
I don't have a copy in my handbook, that is a good idea. I do have one hanging by the front door and all the parents have seen it. I have one hanging in my kitchen and one hanging downstairs where the older kids play.
MyAngels 08:16 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
NO spitting
NO whining

and for the kids: Make sure your parents pay on time!
This made me laugh! Thanks!
Tags:handbook, rules
Reply Up