Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Offer Part Time / Day Rates?
DancingQueen 04:22 AM 07-07-2011
I have not offered part time in the past. I am only allowed a certain # of daycare kids, and if I take part time kids I risk losing full time pay unless I can find kids to take the time a part time kid isn't here.

I've had a parent in the past ask for 4 days and I said it was fine but you'll be charged the full rate. I had a child recently ask for 3 days and I said that they would still be charged the full rate.

My full time rate is currently 140 (although I considering raising it effective 1/1 to 160).
I recently lost several kids to due to unforseen circumstances. All left on great terms and offer amazing references (2 families, 3 kids)
I am having trouble filling these spots and I've gotten only TWO calls.
one wants 3 days per week and is a teacher that will have summer's and vacation days off
the other is looking for 2 days per week for 2 kids.

I could easily have the 3 & 2 buffer eachother and make it ONE spot and then I'd have her other child for 2 days per week.

I NEED daycare kids. Desperately. I'm recently single mom of 4 kids. If my income doesn't increase (and FAST) I'm going to lose everything.

I don't want to turn them away. I don't want to scare them away with my full time rates. But both families have admitted that no other providers in my area will do part time.
WWYD?

If you DO offer day rates - what are they? Compared to your full time rate?
Meyou 04:47 AM 07-07-2011
I don't do pt but I have a provider friend that does. She charges $160 ($32/day) a week for fulltime or $38/day for pt with a min of 3 days per week. She also only allows 1 pt spot at a time.
daysofelijah 04:48 AM 07-07-2011
Very few providers around here will do part time. My dcmom is finding that out as she looks for new care since I am closing. I charged my weekly rate divided by four, per day and would only take three days a week (or more). 4-5 days pay full rate. So if I charged 140 a week, I would charge $35/day for part time. I think seeing the lack of available care I could have charged more though!
SilverSabre25 05:21 AM 07-07-2011
I offer part-time, but it's more expensive. I charge about $25/day for full time (4 or 5 days count as full-time) and $35/day for part-time. You want part-time? You're gonna pay for it. I charge the higher rate even if the kids buffer each other and fill the spot. The annoyance of dealing with part-timers is worth the extra $$.

Something to consider: kids that aren't in your care full-time will have a harder time with routine, rules, adjusting, etc. It can be frustrating.
wdmmom 05:22 AM 07-07-2011
I have 1 part time girl. She's here 23 hours a week during the prime hours that we do activities, etc. I'm charging $5.00 an hour and the parent's never flinched at the rate.
nannyde 05:59 AM 07-07-2011
I don't have any part time kids now but I would consider a minimum of three fixed scheduled days per week at 25 percent of the weekly rate for the rate dictated by arrivals and departures NOT to exceed 9 hours per day. If the parent wants rotating days that are not fixed then it is 30 percent of the weekly rate per day. A kid attending three days would pay 90 percent of my weekly fee for that option.
Meeko 06:21 AM 07-07-2011
I can understand how frustrating it must be for parents who want part-time. I can tell from phone calls I receive that they are having a hard time. But I am in business. The object is to make money for my family. Yes I love the kids. Yes I love my job. But it's my JOB and I need to support my family.

Therefore....one rate per spot in the day care. I would go crazy if I had to figure out one rate for Suzie and another for Fred and another for Billy!!!

I once had a call from a very irrate woman who asked why day care providers were so "anal" about taking part-timers. She felt it was personal.

I asked her if she was offered a position with a company and was asked "Do you want $15 an hour for harder job A..... or $20 an hour for the easier job B?" Which would she take? Of course it's a no brainer.

I explained that we are no different. Why take part-time pay when part-time kids often mean MORE work (because they often don't blend into the routine as well as full time kids), a more uneven work schedule, more bookwork etc etc.

I do have a few part-time kids. But they pay full rates. That was there parents choice and they like the idea they can be flexible with their hours. They may finish work at 2PM...but can get in a dentist check up or do some errands before picking up their kids and it doesn't cost them extra.

Your situation is hard (hugs to you) and I hope it gets easier for you. If you can hold out for full-timers, I think you will be happier in the long-run. Maybe take the part-timers on the understanding that it is temporary until you fill up with full timers?

I don't know if your situations allows for it...but maybe take all shifts temporarily? Anything to get some dollars coming in. Parents would have to understand it was temporary until you filled up...but some shift workers will take whatever they can get and temporary is better than nothing. Just a thought.
Crazy8 06:27 AM 07-07-2011
I do take part time kids and get more calls for part time than I do for full time. Full time daycare around here is just expensive - people look for ways to cut the cost so sometimes it means gma watches the kid one day, etc. I would not last if I charged my full time rate for part time care. Even the big daycare centers do part time rates around here.

That said, I like the part timers - I actually make more money that way since my part time daily rate is higher than my full time rate. And I like that some days I'll have a lighter load than other days too. For instance, my f/t rate is $185/week - that's only $37/day, my 4 day/week rate comes to $39/day and my 3 day/week rate is $45/day. So you pay only $50 less to come 3 days instead of 5. So its almost like I get paid an extra day in there. Sounds confusing, I know - but really it works fine. My requirements for part time are set full days (I won't get into hourly, etc.) and you pay the weekly fee for your # of days whether you come or not. Switching days is at my discretion. Adding days is at my daily part time rate of $45/day.

So, all that said, if your area doesn't have many options for part time care you may find that to be what sets you apart and gets you more kids. I would advertise it as that - "not paying for days you don't need", etc. Just keep a little grid chart (I have one) that you can use to track what days you have open/available at a glance. I laminated one so I can just use a dry erase marker on it.
Crazy8 06:31 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I can understand how frustrating it must be for parents who want part-time. I can tell from phone calls I receive that they are having a hard time. But I am in business. The object is to make money for my family. Yes I love the kids. Yes I love my job. But it's my JOB and I need to support my family.

Therefore....one rate per spot in the day care. I would go crazy if I had to figure out one rate for Suzie and another for Fred and another for Billy!!!

I once had a call from a very irrate woman who asked why day care providers were so "anal" about taking part-timers. She felt it was personal.

I asked her if she was offered a position with a company and was asked "Do you want $15 an hour for harder job A..... or $20 an hour for the easier job B?" Which would she take? Of course it's a no brainer.

I explained that we are no different. Why take part-time pay when part-time kids often mean MORE work (because they often don't blend into the routine as well as full time kids), a more uneven work schedule, more bookwork etc etc.

I do have a few part-time kids. But they pay full rates. That was there parents choice and they like the idea they can be flexible with their hours. They may finish work at 2PM...but can get in a dentist check up or do some errands before picking up their kids and it doesn't cost them extra.

Your situation is hard (hugs to you) and I hope it gets easier for you. If you can hold out for full-timers, I think you will be happier in the long-run. Maybe take the part-timers on the understanding that it is temporary until you fill up with full timers?

I don't know if your situations allows for it...but maybe take all shifts temporarily? Anything to get some dollars coming in. Parents would have to understand it was temporary until you filled up...but some shift workers will take whatever they can get and temporary is better than nothing. Just a thought.
LOL, read this after I posted and its funny how we have the exact opposite outlook on this. Goes to show there is no right/wrong - its all a matter of what works for different people!!!
sharlan 06:32 AM 07-07-2011
I've taken school aged kids for after school care in the past and charged a daily rate. I will be taking a SA boy next month. I will only have him 30 mins, 4 days a week. I have to walk him across the street to school. Mom will pick him up from school.

I did turn down a baby for 1 hr a day, 3 days a week because I felt that she wouldn't adjust.
JaydensMommy 07:05 AM 07-07-2011
I do have a part time rate. My full-time rate is $125/week, my part-time rate is $90/week. My part-time rate would apply to a full week of half-days or less that 3 days a week of care. 4 or more days would be charged the full-time rate.
MarinaVanessa 07:36 AM 07-07-2011
I do PT. I charge $108 a week for 30 hours a week, fixed days, no more than 10 hours a day, with a contract. This comes out to be $36 a day.

I also do a daily rate. Thats called drop-in. For that I charge $40 a day, no more than 10 hours a day, no contract. That means that I can fill the spot and your spot is not guaranteed.

If you want drop-in less than a full 10 hours then that's $5 an hour.

The less time you spend here the more you pay. My regular FT rate is $160 a week, 50 hours a week, no more than 10 hours a day, with a contract, at $160 a week and that ends up being $32 a day.
Country Kids 08:09 AM 07-07-2011
I'm always so confused on flat rate charges. How does everyone figure it out! I have some parents who are here the same amount of time everyday then I have some parents who's schedules may fluxuate a bit. Some days 9/10 hours then the next day mayb 6 and so forth. They aren't here from 7;00-5:00 everyday. How do you charge for them? What happens if one week they are here for your full time rate but the next week they are only there enough hours for a part-time rate, what happens then?
SandeeAR 08:50 AM 07-07-2011
I charge $25 a day for 4/5 days. Part time is $30 per day with a 3 day a week minimum. Drop in (if available) is $30 per day. I do a contract on ALL kids, even if it is for one day. (I have a shortened version for this). That way if anything happens, my insurance will still cover.
Meeko 09:10 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
LOL, read this after I posted and its funny how we have the exact opposite outlook on this. Goes to show there is no right/wrong - its all a matter of what works for different people!!!
Dont't ya love it! That's why parents need to shop around too....so they find that perfect match! One size doesn't fit all!
momma2girls 09:13 AM 07-07-2011
I charge fulltime $140.00 per week, and Part-time, $35.00 per day. This is up to a 9 hr. day. I have a 3 day min. and it must be the same days each week, no switching back and forth, etc. I have all full time now, but I did have quite a few parttime and I was actually loosing out alot of money doing parttime. I had one- one day a week, another one 2 days, and another one 2 1/2 days- uggh!!!
Meeko 09:19 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm always so confused on flat rate charges. How does everyone figure it out! I have some parents who are here the same amount of time everyday then I have some parents who's schedules may fluxuate a bit. Some days 9/10 hours then the next day mayb 6 and so forth. They aren't here from 7;00-5:00 everyday. How do you charge for them? What happens if one week they are here for your full time rate but the next week they are only there enough hours for a part-time rate, what happens then?
My clients are not paying for hours or days in care. Their schedule doesn't matter. They are simply 'renting" a place in my day care, which they may use as much or as little as they like.

They pay me just like they pay their landlord. The landlord doesn't care if you never leave the house all month or if you are on vacation for 29 days out of the month in another country. Doesn't matter. Rent is rent...regardless of how much time you spend in the house....you still pay it.

Same with my day care. A place in the day care costs a certain price...regardless of days, hours or actual attendance.
DancingQueen 10:28 AM 07-07-2011
well.. I just got a voicemail message from mom #1 She wants to go with me (interviewed on Tuesday). But now she only needs 2 days per week.
I originally told her I could do the 3 days at 35 per day. I never mentioned a 3 day minimum to her, but I think I have to, especially at only 35 per day.

Now mom #2 sounded like she was going to go with me over the phone and that meeting me was just a formality (which always makes me a nervous).
When I spoke to her I wasn't at home and I was very honest and told her that I have refused PT in the past. She said most daycares refuse it. i told her I'm reconsidering my position and asked for more details. She needs 2 kids 2 days per week. I thought really quick about how nicely one of those kids would work with the first mom.. together they would take ONE spot. I told her I would absolutely consider it but I'd have to think about the rate that I would charge. I told her that I wasn't at home.. but a ball park figure would be approximately 37 per day.

I gave her a different figure because she was only looking for the 2 days. I did VERY CLEARLY state that I was NOT at home and that 37 was not a firm number. I told her I'd have to check and let her know. And I explained that I didn't have a firm answer because I had never done PT in the past.

#2 is also on State assistance, regardless of what I charge her, she'll pay almost NOTHING out of pocket (I have a current family that pays 9$ per week out of the 140 that I charge).

So I guess I'll call #1 back and let her know that I can do the 35 for only 2 days but the rate would still be $105 as I have a $105.00 minimum rate per week? I'll let her know that I must have a firm schedule as well (especially if #2 is the alternate days). I hope she goes for it. My concern is that because I never mentioned a minimum, she went home and discussed with her DH and he said they can only afford 2 days.. or something like that. My alternative is to charge her $50.00 per day. Which I'm afraid will make her jaw drop. But a HUGE plus for her, is that she is a teacher and I told her I would not charge her to hold her spot next summer. But I will charge for snow days, vacation days etc.. when her child isn't here.

My question on #2 is this...
I gave her a very vague # of 37 per day for 2 days per week per child. I have to up it.. She only works 2 days per week and I would love for her to ONLY bring them the days she works, if possible.
Instead of saying 37 per day with minimum of 3 days... would it be horrible if I told her

"I evaluated the figures and the estimate I gave was too low. A big part of why many providers don't do part time, is because a part time child takes the income that could be made by a full time child. All families I've had in the past that were not 5 days per week, were still charged my full 5 day per week rate. I am willing to make an exception, as we discussed on the phone but I won't be able to go as low as $37 per day. I am willing to give you 35% discount from my normal weekly rate. So instead of paying the full time rate of $160.00 per child, I will charge you $104 per child."

I think, offering the wording to be a percentage off full time, rather than daily... will save me from having her wanting to bring the children on more than just the 2 days?

I wonder if I should do that for both families?

then in my actual contract I can state that anything beyond the contracted days would be ... so much per day?

Would this wording work out? I'm trying to cover all of my bases before I make my call backs.

I still end up with one of her kids taking up a full time spot unless I can find another PT person to fill the other days - but atleast this is better than only having TWO daycare kids that I have right now. I lost 3 kids on the same day. my income went from 700 per week down to 280. OUCH
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:17 AM 07-07-2011
I only have part time DCK's. I have 5 dck's, 2 sets of silblings. 1 set comes 2 days a week at $60.00 a day for both.
The other set comes 3 days a week for $50.00 a day for both, thats all she can afford.
And the other dck comes 2 days a week for $30.00 a day.

I also have 2 of my own kids so almost every day im at capacity.
but come school time 3 of them will be going to school, but will still be here B/A school.

I will be having an interview in 2 weeks for another p/t baby to start in Oct.
so if it all works out as planned 4 kids will be at school, 2 kids will be gone by the time the other kids come home.

I like having pt kids even though the pay sucks but no one has called me for fulltime care. So i have to take what I can get.
skittles 11:28 AM 07-07-2011
Wow. I way undercharge or cost of living is high here. I charge 65/wk for 30 hours or less for parttime and 100/wk for full time. I also include meals and snacks. I was told I am not far under the average rate.
SimpleMom 01:26 PM 07-07-2011
A lot of people will say that you are not far from average rate. When I first started up I was told people only charged by the hour here and i did that. Yuck, barely made it. Then I slowly realized it was the hrly, but based on a flat weekly rate.

Now, I only take ft, but offer a discount for less than 50 hours. The max I charge is $150.00, but I don't have anyone that needs that much time. It works for me. I like knowing who I have here and when. I also like to keep my numbers lower and that helps that as well.

The least I charge is $115.00/wk and that's the norm. More than 40 hrs and I charge more than the $115.00. I used to do Pt and charged 75 for 3 days, 95 for 4 days, etc. over 40 hrs was more as well.
Abigail 12:56 PM 08-21-2011
What would I do if I have someone who comes two days a week (normally would fill the empty space from the 3 day a week) who wanted to come one more day when I had an opening because I'm not completely full? This is just a once in a while occurance, not changing from 2 to 3 days in her contract.

Would I charge the same amount more per day that she is paying or would I charge a daily drop in fee which is silghtly higher?
LittleD 06:35 AM 08-22-2011
We charge $140 per week. But it's supposed to go up.
mac60 07:20 AM 08-22-2011
I curretly just have weekly rates, based on 3 days, 4 days, or 5 days. 3 day minimum.

I have considered going to 2 rates....a part time rate of 3 days per week or less, a full time rate of 4/5 days per week. With a max hours per day then additional minimum cost.
E Daycare 11:54 AM 08-22-2011
I have all part time kids and prefer it this way. Right now I have two kids that come 3 days a week and another that comes 1-2 days a week with his sibling coming the same days he comes around October. I also have a potential infant for 1-2 days a week come January. I consider it part time as no one is here over 3 days but to be confusing I have my rates as such:

under 6 hrs a day (even if its 5 days): $32/day
2 full days and under (even if its from open to close): $32/day
3 full days or over $35/day.

Im crazy schedule lady so I follow the same schedule regardless if they come or not and I havent had any issues with my Part timers following my routine. After about 2 weeks they are good to go and when they are here its business as usual and when they arent the other kid fills in.
Tags:part time rate, rates
Reply Up