Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviews And Giving Out Your Handbook
mac60 05:54 AM 08-23-2011
Just wondering what most do here. My handbook is approx 7 pages. I am tired of handing it out to potential clients, only to not have them become part of my daycare families. I am considering having 1 copy for them to read bound in a notebook while they are here, and telling them they will receive a copy if/when they sign with me. Do any others do it this way, or do you give them a copy to keep regardless if they sign with you or not. My handbook can easily be read in less than 5 min. It is straight and to the point.
mismatchedsocks 05:57 AM 08-23-2011
Thats a great idea! I have about 6 pages that I give to them. I think maybe I will start emailing it to them, if they want to read at home too.
PitterPatter 06:15 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Just wondering what most do here. My handbook is approx 7 pages. I am tired of handing it out to potential clients, only to not have them become part of my daycare families. I am considering having 1 copy for them to read bound in a notebook while they are here, and telling them they will receive a copy if/when they sign with me. Do any others do it this way, or do you give them a copy to keep regardless if they sign with you or not. My handbook can easily be read in less than 5 min. It is straight and to the point.
I have always given the handbook and required forms in a folder for them to take home read over and return, the handbook they keep of course. I didn't have a problem for the first few years, usually ever client signed on and returned everything. Last year I started going through interviews with parents who weren't serious or who lost it etc. I had a couple clients come and ask for the whole folder again because it was misplaced. I never did sign those clients on so makes me wonder if they weren't just fishing or something. 1 actually just came back last month asking if I had any spots and she needs the paperwork again (3rd time). I told he I was full. Not dealing with the drama. Emailing the handbook is a good idea, it's free, but for someone fishing or trying to steal ideas or the whole handbook we make it easy for them. I have trust issues can ya tell?

My handbook is 10 pages long and binded with a cover to keep it nice so parents can look back and read the policies etc. The folder I send them home in is cheap 50.c folders then once they return and sign the contract I transfer all the paperwork to a good sturdy folder that is kept here. That way I don't lose the expensive folders as well. I would love to keep the handbook here but I want to make sure they have had every chance to read the whole handbook so that would mean they take it home. They don't read it anyway I bet, but this way they can't later say they were never given the chance before signing.
sharlan 06:17 AM 08-23-2011
I don't give them a copy until they sign the contract.
mismatchedsocks 06:18 AM 08-23-2011
True about the emailing, I think I may just stick to going over it here, then when they sign they can take it with them.

At the bottom of my handbook there is a spot they initial after every major point that they have read and agree to everything, so no surprises before the sign. That I recommend to everyone.

I also hate rehanding out papers. Even the doctor paper that my families have to do once in a while. Now i give them the form number and they can print out. So much easier.
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 08-23-2011
I go through the handbook thouroughly with the parents during the interview. After their two week trial period is up, they get their own copy.

I do not give it out ahead of time because I was tired of wasting paper.

When a parent signs on for permanent care, they get a handbook...NEVER before.
flightlessbird11 07:05 AM 08-23-2011
I have a website with my policy book on its own page. When I get an inquiry, I've been referring them to my website, so they can read through everything there. Then if they're still interested, they can call and set up an interview. Besides this one family I'm iffy about, it's worked out really well. When they get to the interview part, I know, that they are already aware of my policies, and are still interested. I know I'm interviewing serious perspective clients. I've signed on one family that I'm very excited about (Sept. 12) and have a second interview with another family that I really like, tonight!
PitterPatter 07:10 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I go through the handbook thouroughly with the parents during the interview. After their two week trial period is up, they get their own copy.

I do not give it out ahead of time because I was tired of wasting paper.

When a parent signs on for permanent care, they get a handbook...NEVER before.
This sounds perfect! I would love to try that But I could see a parent trying to pull something a few days into it. Unless we put illness policies and paymen/fee notes in the contract page itself. Sorry I have had some pretty sneaky, shady clients that just have me jaded I guess.
wdmmom 07:20 AM 08-23-2011
I am so doing this! I'm tired of buying ink cartridges every month!
SilverSabre25 07:23 AM 08-23-2011
I email my handbook after the interview, if I like the family.
gelbesonn 01:28 PM 08-23-2011
My handbook is in my google docs, so I will email it to them once we set up an interview time. It lists all my vacation policies and such, so I think it's important for them to read over before we sign anything.
As far as worrying about someone stealing my ideas/policies.... It makes no sense to reinvent the wheel. If I can help someone else out with my handbook, then all the better. Imitation is a form of flattery! lol.
Pammie 04:28 PM 08-23-2011
I email a copy of my handbook to prospective clients after their initial contact with me. I tell them something like, "Read it over. See if my philosophy is consistent with your own, and if my polices are ones that you can live with. And then, if you're still interested, call me back to schedule an interview."

I do give them their own hard copy of my handbook when they interview - and we do go though it item by item during the interview.
Blackcat31 09:02 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
This sounds perfect! I would love to try that But I could see a parent trying to pull something a few days into it. Unless we put illness policies and paymen/fee notes in the contract page itself. Sorry I have had some pretty sneaky, shady clients that just have me jaded I guess.
If they get shady during the two week trial period, they aren't going to be clients so they won't be needing a contract or handbook. See? no wasted paper or ink.
thecrazyisout 10:44 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
I email them a pdf and they print it if they like.
Crazy8 10:53 AM 08-24-2011
I don't have a separate handbook right now - just a 6 page contract that includes policies, holidays, etc. So they get the contract when they interview - and yes some don't sign up but I honestly don't even interview that often so I don't mind. I was considering making a handbook but I think the less papers I give out the better (less for them to misplace).
DCMom 11:01 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't give them a copy until they sign the contract.
I do the same thing.
Danielle 11:06 AM 08-24-2011
I have my handbook on my website so they can look over it before we even get together for an interview. At the interview I have it printed out along with my background check, all forms and a sample contract in a folder with page protectors. That folder never leaves my house. They go home with my references and a business card. If they sign on they get a folder with a welcome letter, handbook, contract and all forms....the contract is to be signed when they pick up the folder and the forms are to be returned by their first day.
Tags:handbook, interview
Reply Up