Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I Going To Survive The Summer?...Vent!
NiNi.R. 12:04 PM 06-01-2011
I decided to take on two SA kids this summer. 1 boy and 1 girl. We've only been out of school for a week and a half and already they are driving me NUTS. They are constantly "right" fighting each other and competing. It doesn't matter what we do...work sheets, outdoor play, games. To make things worse neither of them take naps and they can't even get along long enough for me to catch up on my forum reading , cleaning, and paperwork. Looks like if this continues their punishments are going to be required afternoon naps. They'll suffer the consequences and I'll get some peace and quiet. It's a win win for me Although, the parents might not think so when their kids won't want to go to bed tonight.
AnythingsPossible 12:29 PM 06-01-2011
We have only been on summer break for 2 days officially, but what I am doing in the afternoon is a 45 minute required quiet time for everyone. No books, no toys, nada. Them, a mat, and their thoughts. So far it is working out ok (2 whole days)
SilverSabre25 12:35 PM 06-01-2011
I would do either what Anything's Possible suggested or let them watch a movie/tv show for an hour or so after lunch--where they have to sit on opposite sides of the room if you have to make that rule in order to get them to behave.

Or give them the show with the "promise" that if they misbehave, act up, talk, or quarrel, they will have to lay down and be still and silent with NOTHING to do.
Candyland 12:49 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
We have only been on summer break for 2 days officially, but what I am doing in the afternoon is a 45 minute required quiet time for everyone. No books, no toys, nada. Them, a mat, and their thoughts. So far it is working out ok (2 whole days)
great idea!
NiNi - why don't you purchase some spiral notebooks and have them keep a summer journal. Place their journals on a table (away from each other!!!) and have them go and write in them as frequently as they'd like.
Just a thought.
nannyde 12:51 PM 06-01-2011
I think you have just set a daycare.com record for the earliest vent on School Agers.

I now award you with a gold sun
MyAngels 08:49 PM 06-01-2011
Thanks for the reminder about why I don't do SA anymore. Back in the day (why does that phrase make me feel so old?) I would separate any SA kids during naptimes to keep the peace, and gave them quiet activities to do.
mac60 03:58 AM 06-02-2011
I will have 3 schoolagers, 2 or 3 days per week. As in the past, they can 1. go outside and play from 1 to 3:30 in my fenced in back yard. 2. They can lay down quietly and meditate. There is no sitting in front of the tv, no hanging out in the house. If it is raining, I will let them watch a movie or cartoons. I have a box of school age activities, games, cards, coloring, etc. If you can't find something to do with that, if you can't play outside, then laydown and watch the clouds cuz their is no hell raising in the house.
SilverSabre25 04:25 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
I will have 3 schoolagers, 2 or 3 days per week. As in the past, they can 1. go outside and play from 1 to 3:30 in my fenced in back yard. 2. They can lay down quietly and meditate. There is no sitting in front of the tv, no hanging out in the house. If it is raining, I will let them watch a movie or cartoons. I have a box of school age activities, games, cards, coloring, etc. If you can't find something to do with that, if you can't play outside, then laydown and watch the clouds cuz their is no hell raising in the house.
Just a question--would you allow a school ager who was well-behaved and quiet to just sit and read a book inside?
Tags:competitive, fighting, summer, vent
Reply Up