Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant DCM ...
DaycareMom 02:44 PM 06-18-2012
So I have had DCG since she was 3 months old and she just turned 3 years old. Her mom is now pregnant with baby #2. Last time I spoke to her, both children would be coming back to me after her maternity leave. However, we have not discussed payment.

What is your policy regarding maternity leave? how much do you charge and do you ask for it all up front?

Also, how do I bring this up in a tactful way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
daycare 02:49 PM 06-18-2012
is the child going out on maternity leave when the mom does?? If so, I would first make sure taht I have a maternity contract written out. For example, how long will you allow a child to be absent for a maternity leave? Will you allow for them to attend at all while out on leave and what will the fee be to hold the spot?

When you talk to the mom about this, i would be asking when she plans for the child and baby to return together. Let he know that you need to set up contract and know when they will becoming so that you can prepare.
I would then at that time go over all fees for both children....LIke will you offer a sibling discount or not?????
cheerfuldom 03:27 PM 06-18-2012
Do you know how long a maternity leave? that would be a big deciding factor for me.
DaycareMom 03:39 PM 06-18-2012
She will be on maternity leave for 3 months. She will be keeping DCG home with her for the most part and perhaps occasionally bringing her here if she needs a break.
daycare 03:52 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
She will be on maternity leave for 3 months. She will be keeping DCG home with her for the most part and perhaps occasionally bringing her here if she needs a break.
here is what I have....

Extended leave is any time a child is not in daycare for more than two consecutive weeks for potential absences such as: maternity leave, extended leave from your job, or family emergency. Unpaid extended leave is not offered, but using the following guidelines below, a spot can be kept open for your family:
A one month extended absence can be requested by providing a one month written notice to the provider for planned absences, such as family vacation or pregnancy. A verbal request will not be accepted.
Upon provider’s approval of your requested extended absence, half of your contracted weekly fee will be required to hold your child’s position. All fees must be paid on regular scheduled payments days, following normal payment policy. Failure to make on time payments will result in late fees or termination of contract (see tuition and fees), so please be sure to pay on time. If you do not secure your child’s spot, provider cannot guarantee a spot for your child upon returning. A full time child may attend care during this time on an agreed upon consistent two days a week schedule. Attendance for part time children is not available during an extended leave. During this time you will need to make proper back up arrangements.
If the extended leave is unplanned, (ex: a serious illness) full payment is expected for the first two weeks off from care and the all the above guidelines must be met.
Temporary Changes in contract will be accepted with a 30 day advance written notice and will be good for one month. Please note that the provider cannot guarantee a change in schedule. Please talk to the provider before submitting a request to make sure that the schedule you are in need of is available.
cheerfuldom 03:55 PM 06-18-2012
I would say half the fee plus put a limit on how many days a week her daughter can attend at half rate. you dont want to charge half rate and then end up with her daughter coming most of the time anyway.
DaycareMom 04:57 PM 06-18-2012
So no one would charge a fee for holding a spot for the new baby? I should only charge half tuition for holding current DCG spot?
daycare 05:09 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
So no one would charge a fee for holding a spot for the new baby? I should only charge half tuition for holding current DCG spot?
yes I would charge a fee...I charge a fee of $150.00 for a 2 month hold max. I won't hold it longer than that.

I would also take into consideration how long I have had the client, how well they pay and if they follow my rules would I hold it any longer than two months and I would still require a payment if I did.

The DCF needs to understand that you turning business away to save a spot for their kids. During this time, you don't get to make any money. So you need to know that they are serious about holding the spot by securing it with some kind of payment...
cheerfuldom 06:08 PM 06-18-2012
If it is a good family and I know that I can count on them keeping their commitment, I would hold the spot for free provided they have a start date in mind and sign a contract for the future baby. I would assume they are serious in their plan with the payment of a half rate when the older child was rarely in attendance.
DaisyMamma 10:39 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If it is a good family and I know that I can count on them keeping their commitment, I would hold the spot for free provided they have a start date in mind and sign a contract for the future baby. I would assume they are serious in their plan with the payment of a half rate when the older child was rarely in attendance.
I probably wouldn't charge a fee either, but I do require a two week deposit that goes towards their last two weeks of care with a signed contract.
And definitely make sure you define how often "sometimes" is and the exact rate for care during maternity. And if she finds the 3 year old needs to come more often, what that charge would be.
grandmom 02:22 PM 06-19-2012
Full-time normal price for the oldest, even if she never comes. But you might not get away with that now, since it's so close to maternity leave. When the mom first announces that she's pregnant, I'm all excited for her. Then about a month later I bring up maternity leave. And I just remind her that the fee isn't reduced for the current child.

I used to let parents keep oldest home for no fee, but I had 3 moms do that the same summer. $$$ cost me a lot. Never again.

As for holding a spot, I never charged to hold a spot but I will from now own. Turned down at least 8 infants waiting for the last one to be born. Mondy not in my pocket. It will be a monthly fee from now on.
daycare 02:43 PM 06-19-2012
not to be a downer, but let me add this for you to think about too.

I had a family that was FANTASTIC I loved this family. Well they got PG and decided that they wanted to have their new one come here. (this was when I took babies moons ago) Well of course I said yes, did not think about a holding fee, etc etc and guess what. Two weeks before they were both to come back and start the parents decided to hire a Nanny..............I held the spot for almost 6 months............ never again without a holding fee
Tags:maternity leave, maternity leave contract, policy, policy - maternity leave
Reply Up