Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Unemployment and Daycare
Unregistered 12:08 PM 12-08-2013
So come to find out my assistant slipped yesterday.... She's been working with me since October and has been filing unemployement from her last job since July. I've explained this is not a good idea, however she does get paid under the table but also gets paid for one child through the state. Won't the unemployment find out about this when she files her taxes. I'm just really worried about her?! What do I tell her?
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So come to find out my assistant slipped yesterday.... She's been working with me since October and has been filing unemployement from her last job since July. I've explained this is not a good idea, however she does get paid under the table but also gets paid for one child through the state. Won't the unemployment find out about this when she files her taxes. I'm just really worried about her?! What do I tell her?
I'd be more concerned about the IRS finding out you are paying an employee under the table.

HOW she choses to be dishonest with these programs, will be HER issue but YOU should be paying her as an employee, which means payroll taxes etc...
frugalmama4 06:21 AM 12-09-2013
GM, I'm sure Tom will have a answer for you.

But I would bet to say the IRS will not now she's working for you if you are not paying her "on the table" as far as the state paying her for one child...is this child registered under your daycare? If so the funds/check are coming in your name not hers correct??

My advice,

I would go by the book and start paying her on the table taking out taxes etc.

Good Luck!!
TomCopeland 01:00 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Was your assistant injured? If so, she's entitled to get her medical expenses covered by workers compensation insurance. However, if you don't have workers compensation insurance you can get into trouble and will probably be forced to pay the assistant's medical bills, plus penalties.

The unemployment office won't find out that she is employed when your assistant files her taxes. They don't check IRS records for this. The fact that you aren't withholding social security/medicare taxes and are not paying state and federal unemployment taxes can get you into trouble. I would strongly recommend to start treating her properly as an employee. See my article on this: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-employee.html
Tags:assistant, employee problems, irs
Reply Up