Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Diabetic Supplies & Taxes
legomom922 03:44 AM 01-13-2011
DH was recently diagnosed w/ diabetes, (not the one that requires Insulin) and I know that IRS rules say you can write off meds written by Rx only, with the exception of Insulin, BUT what about the Lancets for testing? And the Test Strips for the meter? The test strips he gets as a Rx, even though we can also buy them at Walmart at a MUCH higher price because the insurance of course covers them with the Rx, but they are not medicine and the Lancets (Needled for the testing strips) we have to can get at Walmart, so I'm really confused and the IRS says nothing else about Diabetic supplies. Does anyone here have Diabetes or have a relative with it who could help answer this question?

Some IRS rules are just do not give enough info!
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 01-13-2011
Wow, my DH has been diabetic (requiring insulin though) for over 4 years and I have never heard of any tax breaks he/we can get from the IRS...I will be following this thread to see if Tom pops in with some answers. We have health insurance and it covers most of it but we buy lancets, test strips, meters etc, etc. we also have a co-pay for all the stuff insurance does cover too. Without the insurance we would be in deep doo-doo because I can't believe how much this stuff costs!
TomCopeland 10:07 AM 01-13-2011
I don't know the answer to this question. Sorry!
legomom922 10:59 AM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wow, my DH has been diabetic (requiring insulin though) for over 4 years and I have never heard of any tax breaks he/we can get from the IRS...I will be following this thread to see if Tom pops in with some answers. We have health insurance and it covers most of it but we buy lancets, test strips, meters etc, etc. we also have a co-pay for all the stuff insurance does cover too. Without the insurance we would be in deep doo-doo because I can't believe how much this stuff costs!
It's not really a tax break, but all of those items you should be able to add to your total for medical/dental costs for the yr. I know the total of medical has to be at least 7.5% of your AGI, and then you can claim anything over that, so I always save every reciept and then everything up and see what I come with. I had a ton of dental work done this yr, so we might be able to pull this one off this yr. 2 crowns alone was $2400, and that doesnt even incude all the medical bills, Rx's, or diabetic supplies yet...or the pregnancy tests! LOL
Unregistered 09:24 AM 09-11-2012
I get all my supplies as cheap as I can online from diabetessuppliesplus.com, then I submit all of their invoices to my insurance. So I\\\'m not putting a lot of money forward since I get my stuff online, and I get the money right back.
texascare 02:42 PM 09-11-2012
I am with Blackcat31. My son is a Type 1 Diabetic so I will be following this closely too!!!
JMan 01:12 PM 10-18-2012
Yeah I recently lost insurance to now the internet is the only hope for cheap supplies.
sunlight 07:19 AM 10-19-2012
I am a Type 1 diabetic for nearly 20 years now. About 5 years ago we lost our health insurance. Although I do need a prescription for insulin I have been purchasing that from an online pharmacy for a reduced rate. My test strips I purchase from http://www.diabeticsupplyrescue.com/ if you go to there products page you will see that they carry almost every test strip available for super reduced rates. Cheaper than Walmart! They also send you a free gift every time you order of lancets or syringes. They are truly awesome. I know that just about every Diabetic Testing Meter company out there will send you a FREE meter if you ask them. I think I own the major 5 brands out there!

They send a receipt every order that I do save for tax purposes. I do my own Turbo tax and I claim them all. I spend quite a bit on my Diabetes care and have not had a problem claiming on my taxes.

I hope this helps!
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by sunlight:
I am a Type 1 diabetic for nearly 20 years now. About 5 years ago we lost our health insurance. Although I do need a prescription for insulin I have been purchasing that from an online pharmacy for a reduced rate. My test strips I purchase from http://www.diabeticsupplyrescue.com/ if you go to there products page you will see that they carry almost every test strip available for super reduced rates. Cheaper than Walmart! They also send you a free gift every time you order of lancets or syringes. They are truly awesome. I know that just about every Diabetic Testing Meter company out there will send you a FREE meter if you ask them. I think I own the major 5 brands out there!

They send a receipt every order that I do save for tax purposes. I do my own Turbo tax and I claim them all. I spend quite a bit on my Diabetes care and have not had a problem claiming on my taxes.

I hope this helps!
I PM'ed you. I have a question for you.
Tags:medication, tax exempt
Reply Up