Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I in the Wrong??
kayla 09:13 AM 03-29-2012
Ok today I only had one dck scheduled. Well he is not supposed to be here until 7:30 well I had gone out to take out the trash and was taking care of my morning routine and all of a sudden the one mom shows up at 7:20, I know some people think what is the big deal... Well the big deal is I have a clause in my contract that states any more than 9 hrs you will be charged... Well my subsidy parents have no choice, they must be here within the 9 hr range. So when she came in I said oh your lucky I'm awake, well she kinda laughed it off so after ten minutes I thought wow that was kinda rude after all I have spoken to this parent on many occasions about her coming on time and the importance etc. So I figured I would send her a message( It's the only way she contacts me) I said since you came ten minutes early can you please make sure you pick o*** up 10 min early as well so we can stay within our 9 hr aggreement... Well I'm assuming it A. really pissed her off or B. she gonna pretend she didnt get the message which I know she did... I guess I just want to know am I in the wrong... I mean I have talked to this parent many times about the importance of her coming at her scheduled times.... Please tell me I'm not in the wrong...
meganlavonnesmommy 09:27 AM 03-29-2012
I dont think you are necessarily wrong, but if it were me, I wouldnt have said anything. It was only 10 minutes. If it snowballs, becomes a habit, or starts to be come frequent, then yes, address the issue.

Would you have been upset if she were 10 minutes late? Sometimes its hard to get somewhere at an exact time. Things happen, traffic is lighter than you expected, it didnt take as long to get out the door as it normally does. Little Johnny tied his shoes faster than usual.

I probably would have just let it go unless it happened again.

Again, not saying you were wrong, if your contract states 730, then it should be 730. But for 10 minutes, I probably would have just let it slide this time.
pfund2233 09:36 AM 03-29-2012
Time is money! If my parents have not asked for (in writing with a 72hr notice) of any overtime (at drop off or pick up) they are charged a fee of $1.00 per minute. Other wise APPROVED overtime is $3.00 per hr or any portion of. I also have a clause of no more than 9.5hrs per day. My parent's have no problems with these rules and follow them pritty well. Like I said time is money... they get paid for their overtime. Why shouldn't you??
kayla 09:37 AM 03-29-2012
it always happens thats why i said something i guess to me it all adds up especially cause its always 10 min here ten min there...
pfund2233 09:41 AM 03-29-2012
Start charging her. After 5 days of 10min and $50 later she will pobably get a clue! Nobody likes to dish out the cash if they don't have to.... so hopfuly she will stop coming 10min early and if not you just made $10 in 10min.
MizzCheryl 09:51 AM 03-29-2012
You are not wrong to say your peace. You must speak for yourself. Now stop feeling guilty and be proud. You know that some will take advantage of you if you do not keep them in line. Good job. She should pick up early or compensate you for your time.
cheerfuldom 10:12 AM 03-29-2012
Can you charge late/early fees? I would not have insisted she come early UNLESS that was already in the contract.....otherwise I would charge a fee (assuming that is in the contract).
Country Kids 10:15 AM 03-29-2012
This is why I love charging hourly. Every minute they are here counts and when I had them the bill there is no disputing it. I have never had a parent argue the money part with me because they see the sign in sheet with their time in/out, their signature and then see that it matches the bill.

I know the 10 minute thing is very crucial. So attach money to it and I bet either they start showing up on time or you just start making more money!
kayla 02:35 PM 03-29-2012
well just wanted to update everyone... she showed up early like i asked so I am glad I said something... Again if it was something that didnt happen all the time I would not have said anything and just brushed it off. But this happens all the time with this particular parent so I felt I needed to say something because any time I don't she ends up making a habbit out of it.
momma2girls 03:30 PM 03-29-2012
Tell her I am not up and ready to start til your contracted drop off time. I will unlock the door at that time only.
PolarCare 01:56 PM 03-31-2012
10 minutes becomes 20 minutes, which becomes half an hour. If it's not a big deal, then can it be not a big deal for her to give you $10 extra?
Lucy 05:27 PM 03-31-2012
If you can think quickly enough next time, look at your watch and say something like, "Yay!! This means I get off at 4:20 today!!" OR, as they leave, say "See you at 4:20!!". OR, "Don't forget, pick up is at 4:20 today".
Tags:pick up issues, pick up policy
Reply Up