Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Starting a childcare center (help)
grneyes1234 08:17 AM 01-30-2014
I just graduated school with AS in ECE and was wanting to open a center. I have no business experience at all, and have no idea where to begin. I been working on a business plan but has come to a halt. I have a credit score of 600ish (not below but not more than) and don't want to keep wasting my time if my credit score will affect the out come of me getting a loan. My husband knows a little about construction and thinks it will take about 50,000 to renovate and get started in the building we found, that use to be a convent store. I'm just lost and over whelmed. I know these things take time but I have no idea where to begin.
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 01-30-2014
Honestly, I think you are trying to start out TOO big.

I'd try my hand at maybe in home child care first. Learn the ins and outs of managing a business with only a few kids/families verses a lot of families and staff too....

An ECE degree will NOT prepare you to deal with the ins and outs of running a business or managing people and those two things will out you out of business faster than anything.

I congratulate you on your graduating and your goals but I think you need to give this some time and some REAL hands-on research.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear but that's my opinion.
BrooklynM 10:16 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I'd try my hand at maybe in home child care first. Learn the ins and outs of managing a business with only a few kids/families verses a lot of families and staff too....

An ECE degree will NOT prepare you to deal with the ins and outs of running a business or managing people and those two things will out you out of business faster than anything.

I congratulate you on your graduating and your goals but I think you need to give this some time and some REAL hands-on research.

I agree 100%! Always start small and work up!
melilley 11:01 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Yes, this!

I have my AS in Child Development and the one required administration class doesn't even begin to cover managing a business! Plus, I know in my area, many of the non corporate centers started as a home fcc and as they grew, they opened a center and some were successful because of that.
Tags:business license, business management, new daycare
Reply Up