Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inspection Blues :(
Provider_Manda 10:51 AM 10-05-2015
I had a surprise inspection one day last week. And lets just say out of 4 1/2 years it has been the worst one yet!! In my county in Ohio, we are now licensed by the state and not just certified by county. So there is now like 6 people who do inspections, all of which tell you something different. To top it off she was accompanied by a State inspector. It was terrible. The woke up my babies from morning nap, wrote me up for things that has been ok every inspection for 4 1/2 years. And because I had some dirty dishes in the sink from breakfast, I got in trouble for that as well. She made me feel like I was an inch tall in my own home. Also wrote me up for missing paperwork that was right there in the folders!!

I'm trying to go through everything and get it all up to compliance, but I just needed to vent. I have never been made to feel like my home was filth (which its not) and because my son got a kitten, well of all times the kitty jumped on the table !! Ugh it was just all around a really bad day, and I'm still mad over it. But I did want to ask what does everyone use for the no smoking and no weapons sign? I have them, but got wrote up because they was in the daycare room and not in my front room. So I'm looking for something small, and maybe together instead of two separate.
nanglgrl 11:08 AM 10-05-2015
I don't have any advice but seriously a no weapons sign? That's ridiculous, I've always thought the no smoking sign was ridiculous but no weapons is worse!
Provider_Manda 11:30 AM 10-05-2015
She asked me what I would do if someone tried to come in smoking.. My reply was "um not let them in" we do not allow smoking here, during business or after! And what's a sign going to do!? Really don't think it would stop someone if they wanted to do something bad enough.
Provider_Manda 11:45 AM 10-05-2015
She asked me what I would do if someone tried to come in smoking.. My reply was "um not let them in" we do not allow smoking here, during business or after! And what's a sign going to do!? Really don't think it would stop someone if they wanted to do something bad enough.
Second Home 11:49 AM 10-05-2015
Maybe you could get a small frame and place it in the entrance with no smoking / no weapons signs in it . At least it will look nice . But yeah that is stupid to require you to post it.
Unregistered 12:21 PM 10-05-2015
Aww sorry you had a bad inspection.
I have the no smoking sign in two places. The first one is in the corner of my welcome entry sign on my gate into my yard which leads to my door. The other is bigger and on its own on the front window next to my door. I just googled online for no smoking signs and picked and printed in color the one that I liked. I just had my annual inspection and my worker gave me a sign, but she said I can still just use my sign if I wanted to.
Blackcat31 12:29 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
I had a surprise inspection one day last week. And lets just say out of 4 1/2 years it has been the worst one yet!! In my county in Ohio, we are now licensed by the state and not just certified by county. So there is now like 6 people who do inspections, all of which tell you something different. To top it off she was accompanied by a State inspector. It was terrible. The woke up my babies from morning nap, wrote me up for things that has been ok every inspection for 4 1/2 years. And because I had some dirty dishes in the sink from breakfast, I got in trouble for that as well. She made me feel like I was an inch tall in my own home. Also wrote me up for missing paperwork that was right there in the folders!!

I'm trying to go through everything and get it all up to compliance, but I just needed to vent. I have never been made to feel like my home was filth (which its not) and because my son got a kitten, well of all times the kitty jumped on the table !! Ugh it was just all around a really bad day, and I'm still mad over it. But I did want to ask what does everyone use for the no smoking and no weapons sign? I have them, but got wrote up because they was in the daycare room and not in my front room. So I'm looking for something small, and maybe together instead of two separate.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

It has happened to a few providers in my state too and one thing we all learned was to ALWAYS ask the inspector where exactly in the regulations does it say you CAN or CANNOT do "X".

If it isn't written in any of your regulations, they cannot cite you for something you weren't aware was a rule. kwim?

I would not accept a citation for something that is interpreted differently by different inspectors. The regulations each state has (and seems to add to by the day) IS our check list of do's and don'ts and like I said, there is NO WAY I'd accept a citation for something that is not in writing.

(The dirty dishes in the sink is one of the citations that came up....several providers fought their citations and ALL of them got them reversed because NO WHERE in the written regulations does it say you must do the dishes WHEN you have children present in care. It compromises the supervision you are providing the children so that one should be a given in my honest opinion)
Leigh 12:37 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

It has happened to a few providers in my state too and one thing we all learned was to ALWAYS ask the inspector where exactly in the regulations does it say you CAN or CANNOT do "X".

If it isn't written in any of your regulations, they cannot cite you for something you weren't aware was a rule. kwim?

I would not accept a citation for something that is interpreted differently by different inspectors. The regulations each state has (and seems to add to by the day) IS our check list of do's and don'ts and like I said, there is NO WAY I'd accept a citation for something that is not in writing.

(The dirty dishes in the sink is one of the citations that came up....several providers fought their citations and ALL of them got them reversed because NO WHERE in the written regulations does it say you must do the dishes WHEN you have children present in care. It compromises the supervision you are providing the children so that one should be a given in my honest opinion)
I had a state inspection last year, and they tried to cite me for my deck spindles being too far apart. I happen to keep the new regs hanging on my fridge by my license. I looked it up and showed him the regs regarding the deck spindles that showed that mine were in compliance. ALWAYS ask to see the reg!
littletots 12:44 PM 10-05-2015
And I thought military license was strict. 😯
SilverSabre25 01:04 PM 10-05-2015
just when i'd started again considering being licensed someday.... (I'm in OH too)
Unregistered 01:07 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

My inspector told me to ask what reg if another inspector questioned me on something.
Josiegirl 02:28 PM 10-05-2015

Don't let it get you down. Sometimes inspectors can be so persnickety. And if one is having a bad day to begin with, watch out.
A provider in our area was talked to about spider webs. If they come and look that closely at my place, I'm in trouble.
SilverSabre25 02:47 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

Don't let it get you down. Sometimes inspectors can be so persnickety. And if one is having a bad day to begin with, watch out.
A provider in our area was talked to about spider webs. If they come and look that closely at my place, I'm in trouble.
Dude when a spider makes a big web outside, we adopt it and name it and protect it. "Joe" was living in a beautiful orb web on our front porch until just a couple days ago. He's either dead or molting, I'm not sure which now. (I did some reading about orb weavers, lol). Hopefully molting because I'm rather attached to Joe. And a few years ago we had Fred living on the side of the house for several weeks.

Spiders are beneficial. They're GOOD. the harmful ones can die (recluse, widow, etc), but harmless grass spiders and orb weavers and the like? Live away.
spedmommy4 04:15 PM 10-05-2015
Who in the world thought up a no weapons sign regulation??? I laughed out loud when I read that. As if someone is going to read it and think, well I was going to take a weapon in there but now that I see the aren't allowed. . .
Febby 06:12 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

I've seen centers around here get in trouble for having crayon marks on the wall and for having puzzles with missing pieces. Of course, those are also usually the same centers that get in trouble for not having background checks on all their staff, being over ratio, etc...

For whatever reason, the state inspectors decided to check every single file at my center. Capacity is almost 300. There's about 40 staff members. SIX state inspectors showed up to do the inspection. Most of the inspection was them looking at files while sitting in the office occasionally watching the center's cameras.

Unless your state has a strict time limit on how soon dishes need to be done, I'd fight the dirty dishes. Supervision has to be a priority and it was still morning when they came. What was their reasoning for not counting your paperwork?

I've never heard of any state requiring a no weapons sign. That's an odd one. (No one tell KY; they have a thing for making us post stuff.) I have no idea what to use.
Sunshine74 09:20 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
I've seen centers around here get in trouble for having crayon marks on the wall and for having puzzles with missing pieces. Of course, those are also usually the same centers that get in trouble for not having background checks on all their staff, being over ratio, etc...

For whatever reason, the state inspectors decided to check every single file at my center. Capacity is almost 300. There's about 40 staff members. SIX state inspectors showed up to do the inspection. Most of the inspection was them looking at files while sitting in the office occasionally watching the center's cameras.

Unless your state has a strict time limit on how soon dishes need to be done, I'd fight the dirty dishes. Supervision has to be a priority and it was still morning when they came. What was their reasoning for not counting your paperwork?

I've never heard of any state requiring a no weapons sign. That's an odd one. (No one tell KY; they have a thing for making us post stuff.) I have no idea what to use.
I'm not sure if it is our county or NY state, but we have to have one too.

OP I'm sorry you had a bad inspection.
Laurel 04:44 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Who in the world thought up a no weapons sign regulation??? I laughed out loud when I read that. As if someone is going to read it and think, well I was going to take a weapon in there but now that I see the aren't allowed. . .

I know! We have no such regulations. What a strange regulation.

Laurel
Laurel 04:56 AM 10-06-2015

Been there, done that on one of my inspections. The only one in 20 years that I failed. I was so ticked.

I had 6 kiddies with 5 in diapers and we had a big mess on the dining room table with crafts (nothing dirty). They were all cranky so I decided just to forget the mess and get them calmed down and take them for a stroller ride/walk which always worked to get them in a better mood. I was planning to clean the mess when we got back. So guess who shows up as we are about to walk out? I mean, come on, there was some crayons on the floor and some spattered paint on the table plus a whole lot more. It was a mess. I tried to explain the circumstances and she says "Well you could clean up one thing before you go onto the next." Thanks, Captain Obvious, I would have never thought of that on my own. Anyway, let's just say from there it went downhill Although I can't remember I'm pretty sure there were dishes in the sink too.

Nothing dangerous or unsanitary just a regular bad day.

Like everyone else said, ask them to show you the regulation and have them put in writing what they find wrong and be professional even though they are making you feel bad.

Laurel
Rockgirl 05:41 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Been there, done that on one of my inspections. The only one in 20 years that I failed. I was so ticked.

I had 6 kiddies with 5 in diapers and we had a big mess on the dining room table with crafts (nothing dirty). They were all cranky so I decided just to forget the mess and get them calmed down and take them for a stroller ride/walk which always worked to get them in a better mood. I was planning to clean the mess when we got back. So guess who shows up as we are about to walk out? I mean, come on, there was some crayons on the floor and some spattered paint on the table plus a whole lot more. It was a mess. I tried to explain the circumstances and she says "Well you could clean up one thing before you go onto the next." Thanks, Captain Obvious, I would have never thought of that on my own. Anyway, let's just say from there it went downhill Although I can't remember I'm pretty sure there were dishes in the sink too.

Nothing dangerous or unsanitary just a regular bad day.

Like everyone else said, ask them to show you the regulation and have them put in writing what they find wrong and be professional even though they are making you feel bad.

Laurel
Now that is just ridiculous. You'd think they'd be happy to see craft supplies being used by the kiddos.
Provider_Manda 07:25 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:

She said she didn't see it in there, when it was right there visible. I contacted her to let her know real quick.
daycarediva 07:54 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Dude when a spider makes a big web outside, we adopt it and name it and protect it. "Joe" was living in a beautiful orb web on our front porch until just a couple days ago. He's either dead or molting, I'm not sure which now. (I did some reading about orb weavers, lol). Hopefully molting because I'm rather attached to Joe. And a few years ago we had Fred living on the side of the house for several weeks.

Spiders are beneficial. They're GOOD. the harmful ones can die (recluse, widow, etc), but harmless grass spiders and orb weavers and the like? Live away.
same here! We named a guy on the porch Rocky (funnel web spider built his nest between rocks.) The kids fed him.

Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
I'm not sure if it is our county or NY state, but we have to have one too.

OP I'm sorry you had a bad inspection.
Where is this in NY regs?

sorry op. That stinks.
Play Care 08:58 AM 10-06-2015
I have never been told we had to have a no guns or no smoking sign and I'm in NY.
We can have firearms but we have to notify families that we have one.
Sunshine74 09:55 AM 10-06-2015
I'm at a center, so maybe it's just that. It also could be my county becuase we are ridiculous.
wonderfullisa 01:03 PM 10-09-2015
You are making me dread my first 'new' inspection (also in Ohio)!
My daycare dishwasher is only ran once a day, right after closing.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:18 AM 10-10-2015
well, I am glad that they were at your house and not mine although I love my county person.
Smoking/ weapons sign. I just found logos online and put on one piece of paper. It must be on the daycare door. Use to be they wanted it on both doors (front and my daycare) but not anymore. ??
I do not have a dishwasher so there are dishes at my sink at any given point of time. Especially now that I have my 3 under 2!
There is a lot of personal interpretation in the rules. There was something on my last inspection that I went.. what? Things that have been changed. But normally it is something that I can correct while they are here etc.
Take care and I always think that inspection is a snapshot of one day... not necessarily all of life. I have given up on being perfect on them.
Provider_Manda 06:48 AM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
well, I am glad that they were at your house and not mine although I love my county person.
Smoking/ weapons sign. I just found logos online and put on one piece of paper. It must be on the daycare door. Use to be they wanted it on both doors (front and my daycare) but not anymore. ??
I do not have a dishwasher so there are dishes at my sink at any given point of time. Especially now that I have my 3 under 2!
There is a lot of personal interpretation in the rules. There was something on my last inspection that I went.. what? Things that have been changed. But normally it is something that I can correct while they are here etc.
Take care and I always think that inspection is a snapshot of one day... not necessarily all of life. I have given up on being perfect on them.
They said I did it need a sign in my daycare room but had to have it on my front door. I already had them posted in my daycare room and still got wrote up 😡 Definitely not a fun day!
Reply Up