Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging For Spring Break??
Auntie'sHouse 01:33 PM 03-19-2013
although im sure (i think) about charging a parent for spring break...why do i feel like im wrong?? i only have this chid in the morning for 1 hour then i take him to school. i charge $50 weekly. my contract states you pay for the spot not the child's attendance. the parent pays for the week now even if theres 1 or 2 days off from school in a week. i know they wont be happy about paying for a full week off though. friends and family who are not in the daycare business think when there is no school i shouldnt charge the parent..i disagree..im tired of reminding the parent that they have to pay for sch days off since i am still open so i sent a text message asking if they wanted to pay before or after the break...6 hours later and still no response....this is the annoying part of daycare...i was thinking about only taking kids that are full time so there are no questions or problems about payments but i think/know it will affect my income.. sooooooo.....am i wrong for still charging for the school aged children when theres no school????
Blackcat31 02:13 PM 03-19-2013
I know what you mean about feeling badly but in all honesty, I have simply decided to take on the state of mind that this (daycare) is a business and businesses don't often "feel" anything other than needing an income.

Once you take the personal aspect out of it, the rest comes easy. I AM friendly and chatty with my DCP's but ANY financial or policy talk means that I follow my rules so I expect parents to do so as well.

If this part time family KNEW that you charge per space NOT attendance then they should be fully aware that they owe regardless.

If they don't respond, send them an invoice stating their balance along with late fees if your policy dictates it and mention that there will be no further services until ALL balances are paid in full.

It may feel bad, but they agreed to it.

Stand your ground. It's ok to be human.
EchoMom 02:30 PM 03-19-2013
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have two teacher's kids that will have a spring break coming up very soon. My policy and at interviews I very clearly say that they can have up to 2 vacation weeks per year, but must give a month's written notice. Neither of these teachers have mentioned their upcoming spring breaks and I haven't mentioned it either. It's not my job to keep track of their breaks. But I just am bracing myself for the tension when/if they say oh btw DCK's not coming next week and I have to say that payment is still due...
Brooksie 08:32 AM 03-20-2013
I totally know how you feel, but you really need to stick to your policy or that opens up the door for other rules to be bent. I have a B/C family who's kid is off a week and a half coming up around Easter and they asked if they still needed to pay even though he wont be there (I guess the mom is off too?). I felt bad, but you have to tell them, there are no deductions in child care costs if the child is out for any reason. Its clearly stated in my contract. I will be open, and I am holding their spot, so yes.. you have to pay me. Simple as that.
NeedaVaca 08:50 AM 03-20-2013
I see so many posts about payment issues that honestly, no matter how you do it (only full time kids) you will probably still have issues come up from time to time. The main thing is decide how YOU want to do it, have it clearly stated in your policies and it's the parents job to decide if what you offer works for them before they sign it. Once signed enforce your policies and don't feel bad!
TheGoodLife 09:16 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Auntie'sHouse:
although im sure (i think) about charging a parent for spring break...why do i feel like im wrong?? i only have this chid in the morning for 1 hour then i take him to school. i charge $50 weekly. my contract states you pay for the spot not the child's attendance. the parent pays for the week now even if theres 1 or 2 days off from school in a week. i know they wont be happy about paying for a full week off though. friends and family who are not in the daycare business think when there is no school i shouldnt charge the parent..i disagree..im tired of reminding the parent that they have to pay for sch days off since i am still open so i sent a text message asking if they wanted to pay before or after the break...6 hours later and still no response....this is the annoying part of daycare...i was thinking about only taking kids that are full time so there are no questions or problems about payments but i think/know it will affect my income.. sooooooo.....am i wrong for still charging for the school aged children when theres no school????
I would offer them a half day's care since they pay for 5 hours, OR they can pay the difference for a full day OR they can just pay and not send. But if it's in your contract to pay regardless, they need to pay. Also, if you offer the half day, give them the time options up-front so they don't try to drop-off or pick-up at inconvenient times. Good luck!
itlw8 09:31 AM 03-20-2013
They pay you to be there each day. you do not call them and say I want to sleep late sorry.

And you count on them paying so yes they pay

Now next year you could change the contract. They pay a higher fee every week like $60 and the do not have to pay for spring break or Christmas break.
Auntie'sHouse 03:36 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I know what you mean about feeling badly but in all honesty, I have simply decided to take on the state of mind that this (daycare) is a business and businesses don't often "feel" anything other than needing an income.

Once you take the personal aspect out of it, the rest comes easy. I AM friendly and chatty with my DCP's but ANY financial or policy talk means that I follow my rules so I expect parents to do so as well.

If this part time family KNEW that you charge per space NOT attendance then they should be fully aware that they owe regardless.

If they don't respond, send them an invoice stating their balance along with late fees if your policy dictates it and mention that there will be no further services until ALL balances are paid in full.

It may feel bad, but they agreed to it.

Stand your ground. It's ok to be human.
thanks...im standing up straight now...good advice
Reply Up