Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Hell of American Daycare Article
preschoolteacher 08:00 AM 04-16-2013
I just read this article, published yesterday in The New Republic.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...ican-day-care#

It's heart-breaking.

It also upsets me because it paints a picture of home daycare as being unregulated, with neglectful and uneducated providers running the show. It suggests that centers are better than home childcare, hands-down.

I feel so horrible for what happened to these children, and the day care provider was completely negligent.

It goes to show how important our job is and how important it is to have caring, educated providers out there!
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 04-16-2013
As soon as they got to the part where the provider's name was Jessica Tata....I knew it was not going to favor daycare at all. Too bad it only takes one bad apple (provider) to ruin it for everyone else

However, in regards to child care, the issue I see lies between here:

"child care is so poorly paid, it doesn’t attract the highly skilled. In 2011, the median annual salary for a child care worker was $19,430, less than a parking lot attendant or a janitor"

and here:

"At the same time, day care is a bruising financial burden for many families—more expensive than rent in 22 states."

Which leads me to believe that the issues start with parents.

Having a child IS a HUGE financial burden......

If you are going to work outside the home, then you (as a parent) needs to take responsibility for the choices you make.

Do you want your child(ren) in child care or do you want to stay at home and care for them yourself?

I think people should seriously consider the expenses that go along with having children (ideally BEFORE having them) before simply expecting someone else to raise them and/or pay for their care.

I'm tired of people whining because child care is expense. Duh!
Childminder 08:41 AM 04-16-2013
I remember this happening. The article has a lot of good information in it, long, but informative. So sad that a few bad providers make the rest of us look bad.
preschoolteacher 08:52 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
However, in regards to child care, the issue I see lies between here:

"child care is so poorly paid, it doesn’t attract the highly skilled. In 2011, the median annual salary for a child care worker was $19,430, less than a parking lot attendant or a janitor"

and here:

"At the same time, day care is a bruising financial burden for many families—more expensive than rent in 22 states."
I thought the same thing. I'm in Minnesota, which has the second highest childcare rates in the country (behind Massachusetts). Still, center employees MIGHT make $10/hour here, if they are lucky. Of course home daycare is much less. Yes, childcare is expensive, but that is relative. Providers don't see much profit from it, and so as a result not many high-quality, experienced, professional individuals enter the child care profession.

More and more we find that early childhood care is extremely important to a child's outcome and development. I wish our society valued it more.

I do not think the answer is more daycare centers. I really believe that children do better in a home environment, not an institution.
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I thought the same thing. I'm in Minnesota, which has the second highest childcare rates in the country (behind Massachusetts).
http://www.naccrra.org/sites/default...l_081012_0.pdf

Page 36.

There are 11 states where family child care is more expensive than in MN.

MN is one of the highest for center care though,

More and more we find that early childhood care is extremely important to a child's outcome and development. I wish our society valued it more.
Personally, I 100% disagree. It is NOT the education that is lacking for the children under 5. It is the CARE, routine and consistency that is lacking.

The academic education part comes naturally if the environment is right.

There is NO study done as of yet that can PROVE that early childhood education is required, relevant and/or necessary for children under age 5.

Head Start's own study proved that.

I do not think the answer is more daycare centers. I really believe that children do better in a home environment, not an institution.
Yes, the HOME environment in which they live.

Our country should be pushing for better maternity/paternity leaves and methods in which parents can remain the primary caregiver and educator of their own child.

THAT is what needs to change in our country.

If a parent must put their child in care, I believe that neither a center nor a family child care provider is better than the other.

BOTH can be wonderfully nurturing and caring places.

I have seen some horrific family child care homes as well as some equally disturbing centers but I will absolutely NEVER say that one is better than the other as I have seen some fantastic family child care homes AND some really awesome centers too.
Country Kids 09:21 AM 04-16-2013

Page 36.

There are 11 states where family child care is more expensive than in MN.

MN is one of the highest for center care though,

Personally, I 100% disagree. It is NOT the education that is lacking for the children under 5. It is the CARE, routine and consistency that is lacking.

There is NO study done as of yet that can PROVE that early childhood education is required, relevant and/or necessary for children under age 5.

Yes, the HOME environment in which they live.

Our country should be pushing for better maternity/paternity leaves and methods in which parents can remain the primary caregiver and educator of their own child.

THAT is what needs to change in our country.

If a parent must put their child in care, I believe that neither a center nor a family child care provider is better than the other.

BOTH can be wonderfully nurturing and caring places.

I have seen some horrific family child care homes as well as some equally disturbing centers but I will absolutely NEVER say that one is better than the other as I have seen some fantastic family child care homes AND some really awesome centers too.

Question BC-why if head start is so bad are all these STARS programs being modeled after them? Believe me, I rarely hear anything good about them-even from the parents of the kiddo's that attend there.

My kids love my set up, my program, and the things we do and my parents love it/appreciate it also. I have provided great quality care in my career.

My first two ever kiddo's I watched-one is going to be a cardiologist surgeon (mom still brags on my childcare and the child is 19). The second one is going to be something up in the nutrition field (parent keeps me updated every time I see them) and my own odd is going to be a history teacher.

Guess my program wasn't quality enough!
Blackcat31 09:24 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Question BC-why if head start is so bad are all these STARS programs being modeled after them? Believe me, I rarely hear anything good about them-even from the parents of the kiddo's that attend there.
government = money.

You do the math and the research.

Heaven forbid, the government could ever admit they were wrong.

Or that they invested hundreds of millions of dollars into a failing program....oh wait...they do that on a daily basis with tons of programs already.....

Plus...just because something looks great on paper does not mean it is so great in practice.
MsLaura529 09:31 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
My first two ever kiddo's I watched-one is going to be a cardiologist surgeon (mom still brags on my childcare and the child is 19). The second one is going to be something up in the nutrition field (parent keeps me updated every time I see them) and my own odd is going to be a history teacher.
Just wanted to chime in here and say what awesome testimony to what a great provider you are! That must make you feel pretty good to hear things like this I hope I can hear stories like this back from my own DCPs in the future..
Country Kids 09:32 AM 04-16-2013
government = money.

Or that they invested hundreds of millions of dollars into a failing program....oh wait...they do that on a daily basis with tons of programs already.....

Plus...just because something looks great on paper does not mean it is so great in practice.
OH, I know.

The more I get involved in the QRIS program I'm really wondering if any of these people (researchers) have actually worked in an in home childcare and set one up to look like a mini center!

I really don't think its feasible!
cheerfuldom 10:34 AM 04-16-2013
I think they hit on a main issue. The pay in child care sucks and very few places offer benefits. That is not going to attract college graduates (that have student loans to pay off), career oriented people and business owners. Also, there is no strong incentive for current providers to complete a child care degree as many places do not require one and home providers are normally not required to have one either. A lot of places thata "require" a degree will still hire someone that is enrolled in school and barely have a few classes completed, they may or may not be in early childhood areas (the classes already taken).

lastly, the organization and funding for agencies to regulate daycares is very minimally and again, those departments to not attract people that are educated and informed. how many times do we here complain about licensors knowing diddly-squat about the policies they are supposed to enforce? its crazy.
preschoolteacher 01:07 PM 04-16-2013
Blackcat, I think we actually agree on a lot of things. I actually wrote "early childhood CARE" not "education" in my post, and that's what I mean. I agree with all of this below:

I also think children do best in a home environment--as in, their home. But if that's not possible, as it's not for many families, a home environment is second best. This could be a center that is arranged in a cozy, comfortable way with low staff-turnover and teachers who remain with the same group of children for many years (like the Waldorf approach). Or it could be in a family daycare that operates in a nurturing, loving way with a provider that builds connections with the children.

It is very possible for centers to be home-like and for family daycares to be institutionalized.
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 04-16-2013
Blackcat, I think we actually agree on a lot of things. I actually wrote "early childhood CARE" not "education" in my post, and that's what I mean. I agree with all of this below:
Ooops! My bad!

I am sorry....I did mis-read. I really did think it said education.

Glad we are on the same page and both in MN too!
Country Kids 01:14 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
Just wanted to chime in here and say what awesome testimony to what a great provider you are! That must make you feel pretty good to hear things like this I hope I can hear stories like this back from my own DCPs in the future..
Thanks you!

I'm sure you will here awesome stories back from yours.

I have many more but that was just an example from the very first two (three with dd) that I had in my program.
Crystal 01:52 PM 04-16-2013
It sucks that all FCC end up getting painted with the same brush, but I will say that I agree that there are PROBABLY more "bad" than "good" providers out there. I have seen so many programs that should be shut down that it makes me want to vomit.

I have said it before and I will say it again:

There NEEDS to be more rigid, nationwide standards when it comes to regualting child care programs (not just FCC, ALL child care)

There NEEDS to be a minimal education requirement, beside cpr/first aid for Child Care Providers

There NEEDS to be more accountability for providers who have serious violations, not just a slap on the wrist and being allowed to continue operating
sharlan 02:10 PM 04-16-2013
government = money.

This is so true.
Hunni Bee 04:49 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
It sucks that all FCC end up getting painted with the same brush, but I will say that I agree that there are PROBABLY more "bad" than "good" providers out there. I have seen so many programs that should be shut down that it makes me want to vomit.

I have said it before and I will say it again:

There NEEDS to be more rigid, nationwide standards when it comes to regualting child care programs (not just FCC, ALL child care)

There NEEDS to be a minimal education requirement, beside cpr/first aid for Child Care Providers

There NEEDS to be more accountability for providers who have serious violations, not just a slap on the wrist and being allowed to continue operating
I totally agree. And by "standards", I dont mean them telling you what learning centers you should have...I mean serious margins of what must be done and must not be done. Unlicensed should not mean unregulated, but in many states, including mine, it means "keep a couple kids in your home and do whatever". Religiously exempt means the same thing, only for centers.
Tags:article, daycare environment
Reply Up