Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Must Have Supplies?? Oh And A Tangent
has_my_heart 09:51 AM 02-11-2014
I'm just setting up shop for my in home daycare. What supplies would you recommend as must haves? Are there any supplies that could wait until I am up and running and bringing in some money?

Somewhat unrelated, I was just reading the thread about avoiding burn out and it stated that the average income for a provider is $15000 a year. As I've been writing my business plan and budgeting I have been planning on more. Why do you think it is so low? Maybe some keep the group small and just want supplemental income? Do you think it is realistic to make more? My husband has been ill, he is working but is limited right now and we have an 8 month old baby girl. I want to be with/raise her and am moving full steam ahead with the daycare but I was surprised to see the average income. Wow that turned out to be a long rant, sorry and thanks for your input!!
Cat Herder 10:01 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by cheldawn:
I'm just setting up shop for my in home daycare. What supplies would you recommend as must haves? Are there any supplies that could wait until I am up and running and bringing in some money?

Somewhat unrelated, I was just reading the thread about avoiding burn out and it stated that the average income for a provider is $15000 a year. As I've been writing my business plan and budgeting I have been planning on more. Why do you think it is so low? Maybe some keep the group small and just want supplemental income? Do you think it is realistic to make more? My husband has been ill, he is working but is limited right now and we have an 8 month old baby girl. I want to be with/raise her and am moving full steam ahead with the daycare but I was surprised to see the average income. Wow that turned out to be a long rant, sorry and thanks for your input!!
I'd recommend checking your Regs to see if they have a mandatory supply list. Many States do. If not start with the basics. Where will they eat, sleep, play? What will it take to do it within regulations and keeping up with your competition?

As far as the income, I think that is the national average. It is pretty accurate for my area. It is what you earn minus all the expenses (to include a portion of your power, phone, water, garbage collection, food costs, supplies, insurance, mortgage, etc.). Many simply break even to be a SAHM. The State limits the number of kids most can have. My number is 6, average rates are $100 per week. Some providers in other areas can charge $300 a week. Cost of living is different for everyone, too.

I think it can take a few years to even reach a profit in many areas.

Daycare is definitely not a get rich quick business...
Kimskiddos 10:01 AM 02-11-2014
My must haves would be art supplies, puzzles, blocks and a kitchen center.

I have a small group anywhere from 3 to 5 kiddos and I make nearly twice that amount! If I have 5 kiddos for the whole year it is definitely more than twice that amount. I'm in central Texas.
Annalee 10:03 AM 02-11-2014

When I opened many years ago, I just started with what I had...actually some things mom had saved from when my two brothers and I were kids. We just slowly built up and now don't have place to store everything.

It is VERY difficult for providers to open here now because of licensing/QRIS changes. There is so much paperwork and expectations of materials with a number to each. You don't necessarily HAVE to comply, but your report card will reflect what the state/QRIS considers quality.
butterfly 10:11 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
When I opened many years ago, I just started with what I had...actually some things mom had saved from when my two brothers and I were kids. We just slowly built up and now don't have place to store everything.

It is VERY difficult for providers to open here now because of licensing/QRIS changes. There is so much paperwork and expectations of materials with a number to each. You don't necessarily HAVE to comply, but your report card will reflect what the state/QRIS considers quality.
I would recommend getting the necessary things to get opened per your licensing and then build from there. As you start making money, you can add to your program. It's sometimes fun to thrift store shop or do some garage saleing to find some jems for next to nothing. I use a lot of recycled things too... let the kids cut and paste things from magazines and newspaper ads. We do several activities with milk jug lids, etc. etc. I stock up during back to school time for our arts and craft supplies... It doesn't have to cost a ton if you get creative.

I wouldn't expect to make a huge salary - especially starting out. Sometimes it can be very difficult to fill your spots and income isn't always guaranteed with childcare - a client can move or loose their job, or find cheaper care, etc. It tends to get easier once you are open a while and establish great word of mouth.

I have yet to make any where near $15,000 after expenses/taxes. (it's much, much less!)
daycarediva 11:07 AM 02-11-2014
I make significantly more than that, even after taxes and expenses. I do this for a career, and for a profit. I stay full, and advertise even when I am full for my waiting list. I have been open in this area 4 years, have a good reputation and get referrals from clients. None of my kids count towards ratio anymore (all sa) so my income has gone up steadly as they 'age out'.

I started with what I had, and added to it from there.

I think it depends highly on your area, the cost of childcare(I could NOT charge my current rates even in the same part of the state), overhead, getting licensed/complying with licensing, insurance.

To be honest-the first year or two is the most expensive. Getting started, getting supplies, it felt constant. Now I only need to replace or upgrade (or splurge!)
Play Care 11:07 AM 02-11-2014

This year I grossed over 40,000. The last few years I was mid 30's. Once the accountant is done, my adjusted net income will probably be around 10,000.
This is a GOOD thing. Much of my expenses are things I would be buying/ doing even if I wasn't a day care - and I wouldn't be able to write it off. Now, there were years when I started out and was grossing around 10-15 grand, but in the last several years I've made a decent living. My goal is to make the most money I can working the least amount of hours.
jenn 11:17 AM 02-11-2014
Start with necessities.

Feeding: High chairs, booster seats, child friendly plates/cup/utensils, bibs
Sleeping: Playpens, Mats or cots, blankets, pillows, sleepsacks
Indoor Toys: my most used are-play kitchen/play food, shape sorters, dolls, dress up things
Outdoor Toys: my most used are-balls, riding toys, chalk, slide

To start with I would keep it basic and clean. You can add to it as you go. One way I built up my supply of "stuff" was asking the daycare parents. "As your child outgrows their toys and baby supplies (high chair, playpens, bouncy seats,...), keep me in mind!" Some donated, some traded a day or so of care for some supplies,...For example, I agreed to watch a neighbor girl for 2 days (drop in) for free, but they donated a large cube climber and slide to my daycare. Another parent let me buy their barely used bouncy seat for a few dollars.
butterfly 11:31 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by jenn:
Start with necessities.

Feeding: High chairs, booster seats, child friendly plates/cup/utensils, bibs
Sleeping: Playpens, Mats or cots, blankets, pillows, sleepsacks
Indoor Toys: my most used are-play kitchen/play food, shape sorters, dolls, dress up things
Outdoor Toys: my most used are-balls, riding toys, chalk, slide

To start with I would keep it basic and clean. You can add to it as you go. One way I built up my supply of "stuff" was asking the daycare parents. "As your child outgrows their toys and baby supplies (high chair, playpens, bouncy seats,...), keep me in mind!" Some donated, some traded a day or so of care for some supplies,...For example, I agreed to watch a neighbor girl for 2 days (drop in) for free, but they donated a large cube climber and slide to my daycare. Another parent let me buy their barely used bouncy seat for a few dollars.
This is great! I got tons of great stuff for free from other parents cleaning house. Even asking for basic things that they may be throwing out - like bubble wrap, scrap book paper scraps, etc. these are all things we can put to use in our crafts and it didn't cost me a thing and it would have otherwise gone in the trash!
spud912 01:05 PM 02-11-2014
Well the first year I was in the negative. Last year I was at $5000. This year I haven't started the taxes yet , but I'm afraid that it will be much more than $5000. I try to show it is as low as possible so we get more money back in taxes, but usually when it is low it's because we added to our debt . It's a double edged sword. Before deductions last year, the income was $24,000 and we had $19,000 in deductions.

This profession is definitely not a money maker FOR ME, but the payout is so much more.
Blackcat31 01:17 PM 02-11-2014
I ran in the red for a bit when I first opened.

In my best year I grossed close to $100,000.

Now, after two decades in the business, I average somewhere in between those two.

I think that it definitely varies depending on what your state regs are.

I can have 10-14 children in care where as other states allow only 5 or so....A little hard to make what I normally make with only 5 kids...kwim?

Also some areas get less than $100 for full time weekly care where other places take in a couple hundred.

Area makes a HUGE difference.
BumbleBee 01:40 PM 02-11-2014
I'm allowed 6 kids at one time. Average rates here equal out to $3 an hr.

2013 I had 9 kids enrolled. 3 of those were full time (over 35 hrs a week). 3 were after school only (15 hrs or less per week) and the remaining 3 were part time (between 16 & 34 hrs a week).

I made between 15,000 & 20,000 gross.

It depends on the area you're in. Expenses, etc. This is my sole income and I live alone.
has_my_heart 09:38 PM 02-11-2014
Thanks for the helpful responses it is great to get advice and perspective. Donations for supplies sounds awesome! I have done some bargain shopping and found good stuff in great condition at a local thrift store, sounds like I'll have to keep up the treasure hunt for a bit.
It makes sense that the area makes a huge difference! I know what my area requires but I didn't know it differed so much from state to state. I'm planning for long term so I realize there will be some building time, I'll be honest though I do want to work for a profit while making it valuable for the families.
Lucy 10:17 PM 02-11-2014
I bring in about 1 1/2 times what you quoted. But by the time my many deductions are taken, my tax guy gets my taxable income down to about $9,000. So I don't know if that figure of $15,000 was actual income, or taxable income.

(I don't think I used the right terms. Maybe gross and net? Anyway, you get the picture!)
has_my_heart 09:44 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I bring in about 1 1/2 times what you quoted. But by the time my many deductions are taken, my tax guy gets my taxable income down to about $9,000. So I don't know if that figure of $15,000 was actual income, or taxable income.

(I don't think I used the right terms. Maybe gross and net? Anyway, you get the picture!)
Good point, I had this thought. One of the benefits of in home child care is being able to write off some things. I'm assuming it plays into it.
Tags:new daycare
Reply Up